PDA

View Full Version : Confusion about crafting magic items and ways to reduce cost.

Deca4531
2013-12-12, 09:45 AM
I want to make a magic item that would grant a continuous Sisine's Grace (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/sirines-grace--4172/) effect. i was looking at the chart in the DMG about avradge magic item cost for an item like this. it says the cost would be Spell lv (Bard 4) x Caster lv (10) x 2000g x 4 = 320,000g

what has me confused is if this would be market price or crafting price, and if its market price what would it cost to craft if i used my XP?

also, can anyone suggest a means of lowering the cost somehow, like some way of lowering the

so far the best way i can find would be to have an Archivist (http://dndtools.eu/classes/archivist/) craft it for me since he would only need to be 7th lv, bringing the cost down to 224,000g

Greenish
2013-12-12, 09:56 AM
You only use those guidelines if there's no comparable items. Items that grant enhancement bonuses to attributes or deflection bonuses to AC already exist, as do those that grant swim speed, water breathing, and a bonus to a skill.

So, you'd price it as an item that combines all of those items (1.5x mark-up for everything aside the stat and AC bonuses).

Deca4531
2013-12-12, 10:11 AM
You only use those guidelines if there's no comparable items. Items that grant enhancement bonuses to attributes or deflection bonuses to AC already exist, as do those that grant swim speed, water breathing, and a bonus to a skill.

So, you'd price it as an item that combines all of those items (1.5x mark-up for everything aside the stat and AC bonuses).

so in effect
16,000 for +4 dex
16,000 for +4 cha
3,200 for +8 perform
you gain your CHA mod to AC but that isnt a defined number so im not sure
not sure that the water breathing or being able to atk freely underwater would cost either.

The Random NPC
2013-12-12, 12:39 PM
Even if you could price it like that, you wouldn't want to. Anything over 200,000g is an epic item, uncraftable until you get to epic.

Greenish
2013-12-12, 05:15 PM
so in effect
16,000 for +4 dex
16,000 for +4 chaNote that Dex and Cha don't share an affinity slot, so one or the other would get the x1.5 markup.

3,200 for +8 performI don't know which formula you're using, but bonus squared times a hundred is in the books, so (8^2)*100 gp = 6,400 gp. Add the markup and it gets to 9,600.

you gain your CHA mod to AC but that isnt a defined number so im not sureGetting to add ability score probably isn't appropriate for an item anyway. Lets say +5 Deflection bonus to AC for 50,000 gp. We'll make it a shoulder slot item so we can add both Dex and the AC bonus without markup.

not sure that the water breathing or being able to atk freely underwater would cost either.Cheapest continuous water breathing & swim speed item I know of is just 2,000 gp, mark that up to 3,000 gp, maybe add a 1,000 gp for not having the drawbacks of that item (inability to breathe air). Negating penalties for hitting people underwater is a 2,000 gp weapon property, so that'll come to 3,000 gp too.

That comes to a total of 98,600 gp. Why you'd need all of this stuff on a single item I can't tell, but there you go.

Deca4531
2013-12-12, 09:07 PM
Note that Dex and Cha don't share an affinity slot, so one or the other would get the x1.5 markup.

I don't know which formula you're using, but bonus squared times a hundred is in the books, so (8^2)*100 gp = 6,400 gp. Add the markup and it gets to 9,600.

Getting to add ability score probably isn't appropriate for an item anyway. Lets say +5 Deflection bonus to AC for 50,000 gp. We'll make it a shoulder slot item so we can add both Dex and the AC bonus without markup.

Cheapest continuous water breathing & swim speed item I know of is just 2,000 gp, mark that up to 3,000 gp, maybe add a 1,000 gp for not having the drawbacks of that item (inability to breathe air). Negating penalties for hitting people underwater is a 2,000 gp weapon property, so that'll come to 3,000 gp too.

That comes to a total of 98,600 gp. Why you'd need all of this stuff on a single item I can't tell, but there you go.

I don't need all of it, they are just components of the spell I linked in my OP. Well its still cheaper than crafting an item with the spell continuesly.

TuggyNE
2013-12-12, 09:53 PM
I don't need all of it, they are just components of the spell I linked in my OP. Well its still cheaper than crafting an item with the spell continuesly.

Don't craft what you don't need. Since those components are being added separately, and since there is certainly nothing that requires you to make a custom magic item that includes all features of a multi-function spell like sirine's grace (or haste, for that matter).