PDA

View Full Version : Have you run or played Traveller 2300 (or AD)?

Hopeless
2013-12-12, 09:59 AM
Was wondering if anyone has any experience with this variation of Traveller?

I have a copy of the Mongoose Publishing's release and although not got very far got the impression that characters that leave Earth and received genetic tinkering wouldn't be able to return.

Is that true or am I overlooking something?

What do you think about this setting?

As in any version of this whether the original, the T20 version and others that I don't know about?

What makes it worth playing or running from your viewpoint?

Rhynn
2013-12-12, 12:12 PM
I don't have experience with the Mongoose version (I think it uses Traveller rules, not 2300 AD rules?), but the old 2300 AD is one of my favorite SF RPGs. The setting has awesome verisimilitude, and Kafer Dawn is probably one of my all-time absolute favorite adventure modules: the players having to learn about the bizarre Kafers while fighting them, the utterly alien nature of them... great stuff.

To me, it works best as a paramilitary campaign; PCs as mercenaries, "privateers," troubleshooters, or even local militia. Acting as explorers and first-contact personnel works great, too; you can decide any particular species from among the wonderfully weird aliens haven't been met yet, and have the PCs make first contact.

I guess you can also run it as a more cyberpunk game, especially on Earth. Corporate double-crosses, espionage, assassination, dirty streets and low life.