PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Classes

Bellberith
2013-12-12, 12:23 PM
Alright, so a girl in my group just saw the movie "Frozen" and now she wants some sort of ice/healer class. To my knowledge there is none. But i am looking for an elemental class i can maybe alter to be similar but not OP.

If someone here can inform me of a class that is similar or a class that can easily changed to be similar that would be very much appreciated.

(kinda hoping for some fire class out there with a type of phoenix healing that i can just change to cold.... thatd most likely be ideal. cept she wants to heal others.)

Gorfnod
2013-12-12, 12:26 PM
Shugenja is an elemental class and the water focus is based around healing.

Water ---> Ice

Sounds good to me.

Draken
2013-12-12, 12:31 PM
Your best bet is probably a sorcerer (sorceress) with a theme-focused spell list. Wind, cold, ice, snow, the stuff. Frostburn has the spells she will want.

To widen the options a bit, I am not sure if it was ever launched by WotC themselves but various third party groups separately (and at various points) launched the feat "Spell Thematics" (or a similar name), with the basic effect of having all of your spells have a particular thematic look to them (in this case, Winter, cold, ice, etc) along with making them a bit harder to identify. Far from the best feat ever but very flavorful.

Edit: Player's Guide to Faerūn has a version of the feat that targets one spell of each level that you know and grants a caster level bonus with it.

Fouredged Sword
2013-12-12, 12:40 PM
I would cook up a cold domain that was the elemental mirror of the fire domain. Replace all mentions of fire to cold, and hit all spells in the domain with energy substitution cold, call it a day.

Now you got a cleric with a bunch of cold themed spells and the ability to boss around anything with the cold subtype.

SethoMarkus
2013-12-12, 12:43 PM
There's always the option of Cleric with the Cold and/or Winter domains (I think at least one of those is from Frostburn).

This would have the cold/winter/ice themed spells and allow for spontaneous healing. Fluff the healing spells to have an icy feel or appearance and you're good to go!

EDIT: Cold domain is found in Player's Guide to Faerun and in the D&D Glossary (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_Colddomain&alpha=)

Winter domain is found in Frostburn

Bellberith
2013-12-12, 12:58 PM
I think we are gonna go with the shugenja and keep the water healing and make earth/fire/air into ice/cold where it makes sense.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Khedrac
2013-12-12, 01:02 PM
Depending on level the Rimefire Witch prestige class could work.

Draken
2013-12-12, 01:23 PM
I think we are gonna go with the shugenja and keep the water healing and make earth/fire/air into ice/cold where it makes sense.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I feel inclined to inform that Shugenjas never get to do most of the stuff shown in the movie. You need a sorcerer/wizard, cleric or druid for it, in order of who gets the most tricks.

Ice Castle, for instance, is a sorc/wiz spell.

eggynack
2013-12-12, 04:36 PM
Druids get a massive amount of good ice and snow based spells, especially in frostburn, and they're no slouches along the healing axis either. I'd just go with that. You could even toss on some build theming with stuff like rashemi elemental summoning and frozen wild shape.

nedz
2013-12-12, 05:07 PM
You could do it with Sorcerer by taking the Arcane Disciple (Healing) and Spontaneous Healer feats for the healing option, exiting into Combat Medic (Heroes of Battle p99)

You could do it with Cleric via the Cold, Winter or Water domains. Cleric has a few Ice spells outside of these domains.

As has been mentioned Druid has a good selection of Ice spells too.

Eldaran
2013-12-12, 06:21 PM
If you want to use homebrew, here's a set of five nifty elemental casters. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160451)

Temotei
2013-12-12, 06:27 PM
Make a feat that grants access to Desert Wind for crusaders or allow her to switch access to Stone Dragon for Desert Wind and you have access to cold and healing from the start if you just change Desert Wind to deal cold damage and be based on cold deserts. Rename it to Frozen Zephyr (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67570), if you like.

No need to change class skills if you use the above variant, since Balance becomes the discipline skill and it's already a class skill for crusaders (Tumble is not).

Falcon X
2013-12-13, 01:14 AM
It was more catering to an Avatar fan player, but I once conceived of modding a Warlock to elemental styles. Makes sense, cause currently the sources of power are Fiends and Fey (Warlock) and Dragons (Dragonfire Adept). It's just a simple step to say that you get power from the elements.

Easily achieved at a basic level with non-homebrew using that feat that gives all your spells an element discriptor, and taking shape and element mods to eldritch blast.
Not sure if there is a healing warlock invocation, but it it's an easy homebrew. Set it to similar power as the Dread Necromancer's charnal touch.