PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and Masterminds 2e Rules Question

urmanascrewed
2013-12-12, 12:52 PM
I don't have my book on me right now, so I am unsure of this rule. I have a power level 1 character and I give the power snare to my character. I am under the understanding that I put ranks into a power equal to my pl+5, since I am level 1 I can put up to 6 ranks into my power.

However when I use herolab, it says I can only have 2 ranks in snare for some reason.

Could someone please explain the rule.

ScubaGoomba
2013-12-15, 03:27 AM
You're also capped in other respects. The effect + accuracy (so the Rank + Combat) of your power can't equal double your PL (in this case, 2).

You really shouldn't be starting off at PL1, though. PL10 is generally your "average" superhero (this is where I'd put a generic member of the X-Men). PL8 usually represents an up-start (the Titans are generally around here), with PL12 being the big guns (Avengers) and PL14+ being the real titans (Justice League). I think the highest PL in the core book is 16 for bad guys (Darkseid) and 15 for good guys (Superman and Wonderwoman). Flip side, you have a street thug at PL2 and a Wolf at PL3. The average bystander in PL0.

If your GM set PL1, I'd suggest telling him or her to check out the back and see what's what. Right now, with a PL1 hero, you (in theory) wouldn't be able to take on a street thug (or any "Underworld Figures") without sufficient backup. And even then, it'd be tough if you're all PL1.

Jlerpy
2013-12-15, 04:43 AM
Yep, PL 1 is pretty much some schlub off the street, not a super. You COULD have a game with such characters, but you'd be so limited (stats no higher than +1? Woohoo) it would either be a joke game or they'd just be too samey.

Beleriphon
2013-12-15, 08:13 PM
I don't have my book on me right now, so I am unsure of this rule. I have a power level 1 character and I give the power snare to my character. I am under the understanding that I put ranks into a power equal to my pl+5, since I am level 1 I can put up to 6 ranks into my power.

However when I use herolab, it says I can only have 2 ranks in snare for some reason.

Could someone please explain the rule.

Its because PL1 characters are the average guy on the street. The game isn't meant to have the average guy on the street be the main character. If you look at different characters a cop is is PL3 to PL5 depending on whether they are beat cops or SWAT.

The reason that you can't have more than two ranks in that power/effect is because the total of the attack bonus and the effect must not be higher than PLx2 (or to determine the PL of NPCs Effect Rank + Attack Bonus = Power Level). PL+5 in M&M 2E is for saves specifically.

Necroticplague
2013-12-18, 05:59 PM
Its because PL1 characters are the average guy on the street. The game isn't meant to have the average guy on the street be the main character. If you look at different characters a cop is is PL3 to PL5 depending on whether they are beat cops or SWAT.

The reason that you can't have more than two ranks in that power/effect is because the total of the attack bonus and the effect must not be higher than PLx2 (or to determine the PL of NPCs Effect Rank + Attack Bonus = Power Level). PL+5 in M&M 2E is for saves specifically.

How does that interact with effects that aren't attacks, but do have saves? Like if you had an Area Blast, could you just pump its DC for both the reflex and toughness up by 2xPL, or would you now be limited to a tradeoff of REF to Toughness DC?

Jlerpy
2013-12-18, 06:25 PM
How does that interact with effects that aren't attacks, but do have saves? Like if you had an Area Blast, could you just pump its DC for both the reflex and toughness up by 2xPL, or would you now be limited to a tradeoff of REF to Toughness DC?

The latter. It's treated the same way as attack bonus.

Beleriphon
2013-12-20, 02:34 PM

Area effects are treated as having an at PL attack bonus for the purposes of trade-offs. The easiest way to deal with them is to just set that as equal to or lower than the PL you're character is supposed to be. So a PL 10 Ironman could have a +8 to hit with his Repulsor blasts and a Rank 12 Damage (for a DC27 Toughness save) but would be limited to a Rank 10 Damage for his Burst Area damage missiles (DC 20 Ref for the area effect, and then DC 20/DC 25 for a pass/fail)