PDA

View Full Version : Templates for a special Bard

lytokk
2013-12-12, 02:25 PM
so in the game I'm running, I've decided all of the party members should get some sort of template added to their character, just to further set the PCs apart from the rest of the population. The sorceror is getting the fey blooded template, the psychic warrior the phrenic template, the rogue was to be getting a shadow template, and the bard was supposed to be becoming a werebird.

The only problem is that the rogue ended up being the one to get bit by the bird and failed her own fortitude save. Instead of having 2 characters with the same template added to them, I'm left trying to come up with a new template for the bard.

I could give him the shadow template I cooked up, but I more meant it for the rogue, and don't like how the template would work with the bard.

He's a halfling bard, with perform (song). Trying to escape from an arranged marriage, he performed in taverns to earn the money. Through some shenanigans, he was cursed by a witch to only be able to sing dirty songs, something I make him role-play. His cousin was with him and baleful polymorphed into a frog who has a magical compulsion to always sing backup whenever he hears singing. Like I said, a special bard. He's working towards the darksong infiltrator class from the complete warrior.

I'm looking toward the playground for help with this guy. Needing some sort of template, or at the very least an idea for a template. Maybe something associated with the witch's curse. Been thinking on this for a few weeks now and just drawing a blank.

Greenish
2013-12-12, 02:32 PM
Spark (or Magic-Blooded) from Dragon #306 is a pretty nice template on bards. Quite minor, though.

Fire-souled (Dragon #314) is pretty decent if somewhat redundant. Also gets Leadership as bonus feat, which may not be desirable.

lytokk
2013-12-12, 03:02 PM
Oh, I guess I should have mentioned, shooting for about a LA +2 on this template. Wanting to keep everyone about the same.
Part of the reasoning behind it is to be able to have some wiggle room with encounters. I'm not the best judge of CR, so I'd prefer to give them some extra abilities to get out of a scrape than have a tpk

Greenish
2013-12-12, 03:09 PM
Draconic (RotD) is pretty nice for +1 LA.

Saint (BoED), +2 LA, would probably be overdoing it.