PDA

View Full Version : Requesting assistance with a Pathfinder Soulknife

Quintessence
2013-12-12, 03:20 PM
Different build types, pros and cons of each etc, would be very helpful. I would like to probably focus on the Armored blade Archetype.

Psyren
2013-12-12, 03:25 PM
- Desired race, level, party make-up?

- Preferred combat style? (2H, TWF, S&B)

- Powers or Psychic Strike?

Deets man, deets!

Greenish
2013-12-12, 03:25 PM
Have you read the handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203014)? It's incomplete, but still pretty nice.

Quintessence
2013-12-12, 03:27 PM
- Desired race, level, party make-up?

- Preferred combat style? (2H, TWF, S&B)

- Powers or Psychic Strike?

Deets man, deets!

Desired race is either half-giant or Human, level 1, party make up is balanced atm I am just an extra addition.

I think I want to keep Psychic strike to take advantage of the blade skills that sometimes use it.

I Am currently looking at strength based armored blade, 2handed or twf.

Have you read the handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203014)? It's incomplete, but still pretty nice.

I did, unfortunately it is too incomplete to really help me that much due to my lack of Pathfinder knowledge.

Psyren
2013-12-12, 03:49 PM
As I said in the Q&A thread, I probably won't be updating it any further until Ultimate Psionics comes out and I can review all the new material/rulings at once.

For your idea, go with Heavy Form armor, Half-Giant and a Str-based build with a hard-hitting reach weapon. I know you said you want PS but I strongly recommend Gifted Blade anyway (Psychic Strike doesn't do much for a Strengthknife, most of your damage will come from Power Attack instead so the buffs will be much more helpful.) But if not, just start with 11-12 Wis so you can get to 13-14 and get Psionic Meditation.

The Bladeskills section of the guide is current so use that for suggestions. For feat suggestons, check out a fighter or barbarian handbook as they go into the combat/style feats in detail.

Quintessence
2013-12-12, 03:56 PM
As I said in the Q&A thread, I probably won't be updating it any further until Ultimate Psionics comes out and I can review all the new material/rulings at once.

For your idea, go with Heavy Form armor, Half-Giant and a Str-based build with a hard-hitting reach weapon. I know you said you want PS but I strongly recommend Gifted Blade anyway (Psychic Strike doesn't do much for a Strengthknife, most of your damage will come from Power Attack instead so the buffs will be much more helpful.) But if not, just start with 11-12 Wis so you can get to 13-14 and get Psionic Meditation.

The Bladeskills section of the guide is current so use that for suggestions. For feat suggestons, check out a fighter or barbarian handbook as they go into the combat/style feats in detail.

Wait so Mindblades can take the form of reach weapons? I had no idea... Alright I will look into this stuff. Thank you for the help.

Psyren
2013-12-12, 04:02 PM
Wait so Mindblades can take the form of reach weapons? I had no idea... Alright I will look into this stuff. Thank you for the help.

Yes - you have two primary options for this, Emulate Melee Weapon (choosing one that natively has reach) or Reaching Blade. You can even combine them to gain 15ft. reach.

Extended Strike is the third way, but it's also a trap, so avoid it.

Quintessence
2013-12-12, 04:08 PM
Yes - you have two primary options for this, Emulate Melee Weapon (choosing one that natively has reach) or Reaching Blade. You can even combine them to gain 15ft. reach.

Extended Strike is the third way, but it's also a trap, so avoid it.

No matter the form 2-handed will always be the 2d6 base or does emulate melee weapon override this?

Greenish
2013-12-12, 04:12 PM
It "functions in all ways as the chosen weapon", including damage.

Psyren
2013-12-12, 04:20 PM
As Greenish said, EMW overrites the stock mind blade stats.

Quintessence
2013-12-12, 04:24 PM
Alright thank you both I think I have a fairly good idea what to do now.

Drelua
2013-12-12, 04:47 PM
Note that if you want to keep the 2d6 damage with a weapon that has reach, you can use the Dwarven Longhammer. I didn't see anything in EMW that prohibits exotic weapons, and I believe you're considered proficient since it's your Mind Blade.

Psyren
2013-12-12, 05:01 PM
Note that if you want to keep the 2d6 damage with a weapon that has reach, you can use the Dwarven Longhammer. I didn't see anything in EMW that prohibits exotic weapons, and I believe you're considered proficient since it's your Mind Blade.

This is correct, you can emulate exotic weapons and retain proficiency just fine. You can even finesse with any weapon you want.