PDA

View Full Version : Playing as a Deity Question (RHoD)

Abithrios
2013-12-12, 03:45 PM
I am in the process of making a deity (as per Deities and Demigods) to stomp through Red Hand of Doom alone. I cannot decide what portfolio to choose. I want to make almost all of the decisions about the deity side of my character for flavor reasons (with just a bit of consideration to not being useless or too overpowered). I will start out at level 1 and divine rank 1, but both will increase throughout the campaign.

The class side of my character is a chaotic good Pathfinder paladin. I have read several guides to building a Pathfinder paladin, but I have not decided on a build because I want it to fit my portfolio.

The rules from Deities and Demigods are being taken as guidelines. For example, resistances and immunities to various damage types have been severely nerfed, and I will not be able to cast 9th level domain spells at will as a first level character. Also, prerequisites for salient abilities can be changed so that they can be taken by deities without 20+ HD/class levels.

What should I be the god of? Starting at divine rank 1, it should probably be something oddly specific (otherwise it would be watched over by a more powerful deity). I do not mind strange, but it should provide some motivation to save the Elsir Vale from the horde, even if the NPCs do not really understand my motivation.

Clistenes
2013-12-12, 03:57 PM
Red Hand of Doom will be too easy for any deity, unless it has very few class levels.

And, if you start with a low level character that has one divine rank...how are you going to manage XP? What level adjustement will you give it for its divine rank?

Zweisteine
2013-12-12, 04:17 PM
You could be a god of individuality/non-servitude!

If your DM says you have a superior, say that would go against your own portfolio!

Abithrios
2013-12-12, 06:35 PM
Red Hand of Doom will be too easy for any deity, unless it has very few class levels.

And, if you start with a low level character that has one divine rank...how are you going to manage XP? What level adjustement will you give it for its divine rank?

As I said, my plan is to stomp the campaign. Also, my main question is about flavor, not mechanics. I am confident that my DM and I can figure out how to make the mechanics work in a fun way, even if it is not balanced in any meaningfully.

You could be a god of individuality/non-servitude!

If your DM says you have a superior, say that would go against your own portfolio!

Why would such a deity help defend against the horde?

Those both sound more chaotic neutral than chaotic good. It seems like a deity of individuality might want the Elsir Vale to take care of the problem on their own. While a god of non-servitude might get into conflict with the horde trying to conquer the area, he might also get into conflict with various legitimate authority figures, such as Lord Jarmaath.

As for your last point, pretty much every other deity will in some way be superior to me, but none will be my boss.

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-12, 06:55 PM
Well, let's see. You're CG, and Tiamat is LE, so we could make use of that parallel. According to Deities & Demigods, Tiamat's portfolio is evil dragons and conquest. Bahamut already has good dragons. Maybe your portfolio can be the opposite of conquest. Liberty? Emancipation? You'd have to swing it as taking preemptive action, though, unless your DM reworks the campaign so that you don't get involved until after the horde has begun their conquest.

Freedom would be a better fit for preemptive action, but Obad-Hai already has it (for some reason). He's the only deity from the core pantheon with anything even close to the same concept. Maybe you can just take it from him, since I can't tell why he has it in the first place.

Abithrios
2013-12-13, 05:37 PM
While freedom sounds good, I feel like the god of freedom might be higher than divine rank 1. Perhaps I could focus on a specific aspect of freedom.

Alternatively, I could focus on saving the Elsir Vale from a very specific threat that the horde poses to the area. Bonus points if I am trying to save the Vale from something the horde probably would not want to do to it anyway.