PDA

View Full Version : immunity to magic and anti magic field

Raishoiken
2013-12-12, 06:57 PM
I was wondering: would a creature that is completely immune to magic (like a demi Lich) be immune to anti magic fields? Would their supernatural abilities still work while inside one?

cakellene
2013-12-12, 07:03 PM
Not unless it specifically says so, to best of my knowledge

AMFV
2013-12-12, 07:56 PM
It doesn't allow SR except for summoned creatures as per the spell description, it explicitly prevents all casting so a creature with Immunity should not be able to cast in the field.

Zanos
2013-12-12, 08:13 PM
The wording of the demi-liches magic immunity is extremely poor. It's a 3.0 creature, and the wording was not updated to fit the new 3.5 rules. It should probably be rewritten as having insurmountable spell-resistance.

A creature with the normal "infinite SR" magic immunity ability cannot cast in an antimagic field.

Raishoiken
2013-12-12, 08:18 PM
The demilich is mentioned in the epic level handbook 3.5 accessory update, don't you think a change would have been as well ?

Zanos
2013-12-12, 08:21 PM
The demilich is mentioned in the epic level handbook 3.5 accessory update, don't you think a change would have been as well ?
It should have been, but was probably overlooked. Other creatures previously had similar magic-immunities in 3.0 and were updated.

But yes, RAW demiliches can cast in antimagic fields.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-12, 08:22 PM

There's a lot of things which WotC botched in the update, and in general. While the ability for that creature might not have been specifically updated, magic immunity is supposed to be infinite SR in 3.5.

Red Fel
2013-12-12, 08:42 PM
The point is that the AMF doesn't influence creatures within the field, it influences spells and effects. The fact that the demilich is (or is not) immune to magic doesn't change the fact that his spells are not immune to an AMF.

It's like if I were immune to fire, and stood in the middle of a roaring bonfire. If I tried to throw a snowball, it would melt before it left my hand. I'm fine; my snowball isn't. Same here. The demilich may be immune to magic (or not), but his spells aren't immune to the AMF.

Raishoiken
2013-12-12, 10:17 PM
In the case of a special quality do you think it would count as "the creature" for that purpose as a special quality is literally what it sounds like: a special thing about How the creature works, a part of its make up. I know it'd affect special attacks for sure it's mainly the special qualities in wOrried about

TuggyNE
2013-12-13, 01:04 AM
In the case of a special quality do you think it would count as "the creature" for that purpose as a special quality is literally what it sounds like: a special thing about How the creature works, a part of its make up. I know it'd affect special attacks for sure it's mainly the special qualities in wOrried about

There's only one Su SQ: Phylactery Transference. And letting magic items work remotely through an Su ability in an AMF sounds all kinds of wrong to me.

RAW-wise I'm not sure, because it's pretty stupidly complicated to justify, but it really doesn't seem worthwhile.

Raishoiken
2013-12-13, 06:42 AM
It isn't the special qualities given to the lich, but its pre existing aBilities. Like a choker's extra action if it were to Somehow get the immunity

TuggyNE
2013-12-13, 07:29 AM
It isn't the special qualities given to the lich, but its pre existing aBilities. Like a choker's extra action if it were to Somehow get the immunity

Chokers can't become demiliches (wrong type), so I assume you're thinking of some other creature.

Raishoiken
2013-12-13, 12:04 PM
Chokers can't become demiliches (wrong type), so I assume you're thinking of some other creature.

there are a few ways out there that would allow a choker to get the immunity from the demilich template (and the epic colassi and epic golems as well). there's the amalgam template from the Advanced Bestiary, and Variant Augmentation from the Book of Templates deluxe 3.5 edition. ok assuming that the creature has the immunity and that the specific immunity extends to ALL magical effects, would the creature keep it's supernatural abilities? would the creature's magical abilities (as long as they didn't "appear in the field" such as a breath weapon) still work and take effect in and antimagic field?