PDA

View Full Version : How much trouble would I stir? Light in the Underdark

Grams
2013-12-12, 08:17 PM
I plan on making a celestial magical beast themed druid of Mielikki for an Underdark campaign. N/G.

I plan to extend Luminous Armor (1h/lvl) which, among other things, acts like a Day Light spell.

I plan to become a helping hand of the goodness of Mielikki but I'm afraid I might just piss off a lot of inhabitants--though I know little of the Underdark in person.

I also have a golden jesus ape companion that I will be share spelling this with. (celestial companion feat+spellbound companion)

See any issues that would overwhelm my character? Outside the capabilities of RP?

cakellene
2013-12-12, 08:21 PM
Is that a Light spell? If so then darkness spells of equal or higher level would dismiss it.

Icewraith
2013-12-12, 08:22 PM
Well, if you don't mind a combat heavy campaign... light sources can be seen considerably further away than normal in the underdark, and they usually mean "surface dweller meat found here". On the plus side, if you're not enslaved, dominated, killed, or eaten by deepspawn and continuously regurgitated in a horrific parody of serial reincarnation, you'll level very quickly.

Grams
2013-12-12, 08:36 PM
Is that a Light spell? If so then darkness spells of equal or higher level would dismiss it.

The luminous armor resembles a suit of dazzling full plate, but it is weightless and does not restrict the target's movement or mobility in any way.
In addition to imparting the benefits of a breastplate (+5 armor bonus to AC), the luminous armor has no maximum Dexterity restriction, no armor check penalty, and no chance for arcane spell failure.

Luminous armor sheds light equivalent to a daylight spell and counters darkness spells of 2nd level or lower with which it comes into contact.

In addition, the armor's brightness causes opponents to take a -4 to penalty on melee attacks made against the target.
This penalty stacks with the attack penalty suffered by creatures sensitive to bright light (such as dark elves).
Sacrifice: 1d2 points of Strength damage.

Grams
2013-12-12, 08:39 PM
Well, if you don't mind a combat heavy campaign... light sources can be seen considerably further away than normal in the underdark, and they usually mean "surface dweller meat found here". On the plus side, if you're not enslaved, dominated, killed, or eaten by deepspawn and continuously regurgitated in a horrific parody of serial reincarnation, you'll level very quickly.

I should add we also have a Cleric of Koosuth (Fire diety) He's human and carries a bull's eye lantern to see - as well as slinging fire around from his Fire Domain.

My focus is more out of combat. Will I be a nuisance to the more neutral patrons of the Underdark because I'm such a bright beacon of good?

cakellene
2013-12-12, 08:48 PM
I meant does it have the [Light] descriptor?

Grams
2013-12-12, 08:53 PM
I meant does it have the [Light] descriptor?

Nope, just Abjuration. What would the issue be if it had the [Light] descript?

Red Fel
2013-12-12, 08:54 PM
I should add we also have a Cleric of Koosuth (Fire diety) He's human and carries a bull's eye lantern to see - as well as slinging fire around from his Fire Domain.

My focus is more out of combat. Will I be a nuisance to the more neutral patrons of the Underdark because I'm such a bright beacon of good?

Less nuisance, more target. Less "of good," more "beacon."

Nature abhors a vacuum. Undernature abhors a light source. Either way the anomaly gets resolved fairly quickly.

Grams
2013-12-12, 08:55 PM
Less nuisance, more target. Less "of good," more "beacon."

Nature abhors a vacuum. Undernature abhors a light source. Either way the anomaly gets resolved fairly quickly.

Me being the anomaly I assume?

cakellene
2013-12-12, 08:56 PM
Nope, just Abjuration. What would the issue be if it had the [Light] descript?

It means it would be subject t being dispelled by a Darjness spell of equal spell level or higher.

Raven777
2013-12-12, 09:14 PM
Your path is charted before you. Clearly, this campaign is a call to terraform colonize the Nether the Underdark!

Spore
2013-12-12, 10:21 PM
You would be prey for several miles to be noticed. But hey, if your Move Silently/Hide ranks aren't at least two digits then stuff would notice you anyhow.

Red Fel
2013-12-12, 10:43 PM
Me being the anomaly I assume?

Put it to you this way.

If you walked into the forest wearing "eau de salmon" perfume, you won't "piss off" the bears. You'll make them salivate.

Same rule here. Creatures won't care why a glowing beacon of goodness has entered their midst. For many, good and evil are just words that they don't understand because they don't have a high enough Int. What they do understand is that squishy, delicious creatures, unaccustomed to the perils of the Underdark and ill-suited to defend themselves, rely on light to find their way. So when they detect any substantial source of light, they tend to assume that food isn't far behind.

And they tend to be right.

As for the intelligent creatures? Same rule applies, but they might torture you before killing you. Or they might enslave you. Or they might sacrifice you to a spider goddess.

So, in essence, your motives don't really play into it. They won't be annoyed. They'll be hungry.

On the other hand, if you're looking for an arena-style series of one-after-another encounters with increasingly dangerous creatures, you're set. Walk in, light up like the sun, and watch things crawl out of the woodwork ready to eat you.

Just be aware that some of them have armies.

Icewraith
2013-12-13, 11:55 AM
Note that if you're traveling with the human anyways, and he's going to keep using the bullseye lantern instead of getting himself darkvision... if you're going to be strapping steaks to yourself and swimming with sharks, the steaks might as well be doing something useful, like upping your AC.

In other words, the armor may cause a problem, but it may be a problem you already have.

killem2
2013-12-13, 12:43 PM
You should see if you can get day light permanently added to a bunch of marbles and just toss them in. :smallbiggrin:

gorilla-turtle
2013-12-13, 12:50 PM
There really isn't much that can be said that Red Fel hasn't already said: being a bright beacon of light isn't going to make anyone think "Oh, I better change my ways!". They're going to think either "LUNCH!", or "Look at that fool; let's make him our slave!".

Instead of wasting your spellslots trying to announce that you're a target, you're better off trying to reform the system from within, and even that is a risky venture.

awa
2013-12-13, 01:04 PM
not every one in the under-dark is hostile for example certain types of gnome and what have you an a guy who insists on walking around shining blinding light may get kinda annoying.

Personally i don't think the light will be that big a deal you will be visible but exactly how far away you can be seen from is still based on how big the cave is and odds are someone in the party has no ranks in hide and a large armor check penalty so stealth is a non option combined with the fact that dark-vision can be real expensive to acquire at low level. I don't think its that bad a choice.

Also is there anything preventing you from putting a tarp over the luminous armor after you cast it?

Red Fel
2013-12-13, 01:13 PM
not every one in the under-dark is hostile for example certain types of gnome and what have you an a guy who insists on walking around shining blinding light may get kinda annoying.
To be fair, I will grant that there are creatures in the Underdark who are not hostile. They will avoid you like the plague.

You walk into the Underdark with a big sign on your back that provokes large, carnivorous critters to come and enjoy dinner, and any friendly creature with any sense will want to stay as far from the carnage as possible. They don't want to be dessert.

Personally i don't think the light will be that big a deal you will be visible but exactly how far away you can be seen from is still based on how big the cave is and odds are someone in the party has no ranks in hide and a large armor check penalty so stealth is a non option combined with the fact that dark-vision can be real expensive to acquire at low level. I don't think its that bad a choice.

Two things.

1: Stealth is a preferred option in the Underdark. There is a reason so many under-races are stealthy - it's a survival mechanism. Walk without rhythm and you won't attract the Purple Worm.

2: The Underdark is no place for low levels. Go into an ordinary cave, or into a forest, or a dungeon. The Underdark is where you go when you think, "Sure, I can face down goblins, or kobolds, or a very small dragon. But now I want to face down unspeakable horrors with no eyes (or too many eyes) who smell fear and live in my nightmares. I want to face creatures who know no joy, only despair, and live to share that despair with me for the few brief moments before death comes. That's what I want." And that's not your typical PC at low levels.

Also is there anything preventing you from putting a tarp over the luminous armor after you cast it?

This... May be a good point. A really good point. Get a full-body cloak that covers the armor. Then weaponize it. Stealth your way through the Underdark, and if you do run into something that mistakes you for an appetizer, shout something clever, like, "Let's show them the white light we're made of, boys!" and throw off your tarp. Insta-blinded.

Of course, that will have the side effect of calling attention to you, but if you can cover up quickly, they might not track you from the sound, smell, etc...

XmonkTad
2013-12-13, 01:28 PM
I agree with the "hide the light" idea. Cloaking your attention-getting armor sounds very prudent under the circumstances. Although, it does make a good signature, and if you're ever going to be a legend you could do a lot worse.

Do underdark natives fear boogymen that walk in the light?

Icewraith
2013-12-13, 01:46 PM
This is still a moot point if you can't do something about the human and his bullseye lantern, and you have to get your Ape companion to wear the tarp over the armor as well.

Thinking about it one way, that's sort of asking for a DM screw whenever he feels like throwing something nasty at you or making a bad situation worse. Thinking about it the other way, if he wanted to he'd find some other handle or lever to accomplish the same thing, it's just that most of your encounters are now in some way your ape's fault instead of triggered randomly.

Also note that you're going to need near-full coverage in very thick cloth to effectively screen out the light from your spell. You might need to make craft checks or find a special material, since you're trying to hide a floodlight by throwing a blanket over it.

Coidzor
2013-12-13, 04:23 PM
Yeah, you definitely want a way to get everyone darkvision if you're going to be down there for any length of time. Best not to go in without the ability to quickly get out of dodge if you have to scrub the mission.

Hmm... Would taking over a section of the Underdark and doing ye olde continual flame errywhere due to planar bound/ally/simulacrum Lantern Archons make it into a no-man's land or what?