PDA

View Full Version : Skill tricks - do you plan on using them?

ken-do-nim
2007-01-16, 10:00 AM
The new skill tricks in Complete Adventurer are way cool, but they do represent power creep of the worst kind (esp. swift concentration). So my question is, how many DMs out there are planning to allow them?

Personally, I think no for me. Maybe I'll use them for new campaigns, but even then you have to admit it gives players an unfair edge if you are running pre-written adventures, because none of the monsters & npcs will have skill tricks (and many of them seem far more valuable than 2 skill points). Maybe I'd give players a choice between action points or skill tricks.

Starbuck_II
2007-01-16, 12:25 PM
The new skill tricks in Complete Adventurer are way cool, but they do represent power creep of the worst kind (esp. swift concentration). So my question is, how many DMs out there are planning to allow them?

Personally, I think no for me. Maybe I'll use them for new campaigns, but even then you have to admit it gives players an unfair edge if you are running pre-written adventures, because none of the monsters & npcs will have skill tricks (and many of them seem far more valuable than 2 skill points). Maybe I'd give players a choice between action points or skill tricks.
I'd allow them.

Many of the tricks seem something you read adventurers do all the time. Rather than give out free they made it cost 2 skill points.

You never rewrite a pre-written npc or monster? You are missing out on fun.
As long as it fits same gear value, flavor, and similiar abilities I don't see what not. plus you get to try new classes out this way.
Why not a Shadowcaster from ToM or Truenamer villan. Most Pre-writtens are adaptable (a few aren't like when they require npc to use a certain spell exactly).

In fact for the Burning plague I rewrote 2 characters. One from a cleric to a adept (I banned clerics and Druids due to world build) and the guy who can surrender to a Psion insteasd of Sorceror because it fits him more.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-01-16, 12:37 PM
Exactly. Any time you use any material that was not available or just not used in a published module, you run the risk of PCs having an "unfair advantage" over the NPCs (not that the PCs don't have an advantage anyway). You almost have to re-write them.

I'm planning on running Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil sometime in the future. I'm currently working on fitting material from the Complete series and Expanded Psionics Handbook (hey, there are mind flayers and aboleths in there—let's make them worthwhile) into it. Also working with the Elemental Evil-specific elements from Dragon magazine and Monster Manual IV. Some of the bad guys could also use Teamwork tricks from DMG2 and PHB2. It's just rife with potential.

In any case, yes, once I get my hands on Complete Scoundrel, I have every intention of using Skill Tricks.

ken-do-nim
2007-01-16, 03:18 PM
You never rewrite a pre-written npc or monster? You are missing out on fun.

1) Lazy
2) There is an assumption that encounters in a published module are balanced. I've seen many a DM tinker with an encounter to make it "just a little harder", then end up with a near TPK on what was supposed to be a random wilderness encounter, and have this "oops" look on his face. I know I've done it. Of course, an experienced DM knows what he's doing and what the party can face, but it's not always that easy to judge how potent new material is.

Indoril
2007-01-16, 04:35 PM
I intend to use them. One of my favorite things in this game is variety. Most of these Skill Tricks are things that as far as I'm concerned would be allowed anyways (for example Social Recovery, my favorite one so far), but that would vary by DM and whether or not the player would think of doing something like that. When they make a rule for it, it becomes official and less dependent upon DM's choice.

I've seen many a DM tinker with an encounter to make it "just a little harder", then end up with a near TPK on what was supposed to be a random wilderness encounter, and have this "oops" look on his face.

I did that to my party with a hydra. See the link below.

http://shazzbaa.foskie.com/shazztemplate.php?image=/sketch/DND_SC_hydra1.jpg

I love having an artist who chronicles my campaign. It makes explaining comical or dramatic events much less...wordy.

ken-do-nim
2007-01-16, 04:44 PM
I did that to my party with a hydra. See the link below.

I love having an artist who chronicles my campaign. It makes explaining comical or dramatic events much less...wordy.

Man I've got to get an artist as one of my players! (Actually I did once, but he spent the whole time drawing pictures of his character and not actually playing).

Thomas
2007-01-16, 04:55 PM

You know, every time my players encounter a pool or other small body of water - in a dungeon or otherwise - they figure it's a hydra.

Well, not every time. For some reason, they only guess it when there actually is a hydra in there.

Experienced bastards...

Indoril
2007-01-17, 02:32 PM
Hear that Shazz? You guys are nubs. :P

Or at least, Aphelion is at any rate.

Everyman
2007-01-18, 02:33 AM
After looking through them, I don't see why I wouldn't allow a player to take'em. After all, you're essentially spending skill points to give your skills more uses. Nothing I saw there is especially power on its own, so it looks fine in my opinion.