PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Hero Lab Thread

Dalebert
2013-12-13, 01:18 AM
Is anyone else using Hero Lab? Maybe we can bump heads here as far as how to use it and bugs, including discussion of whether something is a bug or not.

* I can transfer items between characters but haven't figured out how to transfer money. I can't see how to add or remove money either other than by buying and selling items and adjusting the price.
* How to add an item that's not on the list to a character's inventory.

VexingFool
2013-12-13, 03:04 AM
I usually add and subtract gold via the Journal Entry tab. Use a negative number to subtract. Just make sure to create a new Journal entry if you are keeping track of the gold awarded during adventuring.

Dalebert
2013-12-13, 12:24 PM
I usually add and subtract gold via the Journal Entry tab. Use a negative number to subtract. Just make sure to create a new Journal entry if you are keeping track of the gold awarded during adventuring.

I figured out about that right after I started this thread. :) It is a way to do it, though I'm still a little frustrated that there's no simple way to pass money to another character, not even your mule, for instance, if you have heavy money.

Another issue I was hoping to discuss here is whether Hero Lab is a little too lenient about certain prereqs. For instance, It seems to be fine with letting my witch take Undead Master at 3rd level even though she can't cast command undead until 4th level because that's when she gets the spell from her patron. However, it's not clear whether it's using bonethrall (Su) which references command undead for how it works and they get it at 1st. Strictly per RAW, it shouldn't count, but then they leave so much unexplained in the witch archetypes that seem to require a DM call just to make sense out of them.

There are other examples as well. That's just the only one that immediately comes to mind.

Psyren
2013-12-13, 12:45 PM
Don't you have to pay for Hero Lab? I'm curious about it but I doubt I'd get my group trying it if there's a paywall so it seems like a waste of time for me.

Regarding the witch thing, by current RAW it acts as the spell and so should count for prereqs.

NightbringerGGZ
2013-12-13, 01:47 PM
Don't you have to pay for Hero Lab? I'm curious about it but I doubt I'd get my group trying it if there's a paywall so it seems like a waste of time for me.

Regarding the witch thing, by current RAW it acts as the spell and so should count for prereqs.

Hero Lab itself is free, and some game systems can be run on it at no cost. It's the rules support for Pathfinder that wind up being expensive as that's locked down by a license. $30 gets you the core book and 2 licenses. "Data Packages" that grant access to feats, items, new classes and so on cost extra, generally $5, $10 or $15 depending on the type of content. You can also buy 2 additional licenses at $10 a pop. The net effect is that four people can share a common account for significantly cheaper than buying all of the printed books, but you have to wait a few weeks for the most up to date material.

The tool itself is pretty nice, but it has some quirks and pretty poor documentation. I've been using it for a couple of years now though, so let me know if you have any questions.

Dalebert
2013-12-13, 02:20 PM
My friend seems to have paid a fair amount to get it beefed up with most of the material. I paid him for access to one of his licenses.

NightbringerGGZ
2013-12-13, 03:46 PM
My friend seems to have paid a fair amount to get it beefed up with most of the material. I paid him for access to one of his licenses.

Yep, it's pretty expensive to buy everything. My gaming group has 3 people (including myself) who buy the packages. Some of my friends have paid me back for extra licenses and material from books I wasn't interested in though, so the costs haven't been terrible.

Just don't try to buy everything at once :smallsmile:

Dalebert
2013-12-13, 11:01 PM
It seems pretty nice though. My friend says he can make monsters and characters really easily on the fly which is nice when you're having to improvise during a game.