PDA

View Full Version : Ray Gun? lol

Yogibear41
2013-12-13, 02:29 AM
Anyone know of anything like a ray gun? lol as silly as it may sound. Looking for something that is basically a gun using pathfinder rules but is more or less a ray gun/laser beam instead of shooting bullets. Samus Arans or Megamans weapons are basically what I am looking for. Got an idea for a visitor from another plane to a poor little backwoods medieval world he he. :smallsmile:

EDIT: preferably something usable one handed.

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-13, 02:35 AM
step 1: take any one handed firearm from pathfinder rules.
step 2: ignore the "bows and crossbows only" part of the endless ammunition magical weapon trait.
step 3: have weapon deal energy damage in place of normal damage, treat all hits as ranged touch attack due to a lack of a bullet hitting the enemy.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-13, 03:00 AM
Yeah, all you need is a ranged touch attack and energy damage. Monochrometiger basically has that down.

Another way to go about it would be to make it a use-activated gauntlet which activates a spell like scorching ray. Of course, Samus' and Megaman's blasters would likely be represented best with the "Orb of [Energy Type]" spells from dnd 3.5.

As for the wielder him/herself, it depends on gun availability. If it's Guns Everywhere, I'd want to make the first four levels Gunslinger1/Trench Fighter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/trench-fighter) 3, which would give it Dex to damage twice (gunslingers get their gun training class feature at 1st level in Guns Everywhere). If not, then most likely Trench Fighter all the way.

Ravens_cry
2013-12-13, 03:05 AM
3.5 actually has laser pistols in the DMG, on the same page as its firearms rules.
They aren't great, but it's still worth looking at.

Another_Poet
2013-12-13, 03:09 AM
My first thought was Wand of Magic Missile (low level) or Wand of Scorching Ray (higher). Not a caster, you say? Ranks in Use Magic Device are more versatile than buying a magic weapon.

I like the gauntlet of Orb of ___ idea, too. Although any spell-based weapon will only give you 1 attack per round, and if you're high level you might be looking for something you can use on multiple attacks. There really are no energy weapons in basic PF though, unless you just reflavor something.

Alternately, ask your GM if you can use the Gun Mage class from the Iron Kingdoms setting. There is a good fan-made PF conversion on the IK forums.

Xerlith
2013-12-13, 03:31 AM
Auto-resetting trigger-activated trap of [touch spell], shaped as a gun?

Yogibear41
2013-12-13, 04:19 AM
So I'm thinking a warforged machinesmith http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/louis-porter-jr-design/machinesmith#TOC-Prototypes-Su-
with a laster pistol making his mobius weapon the pistol using fire arms expertise to get proficiency with his level 2 machinesmith trick?

Maginomicon
2013-12-13, 04:28 AM
I made a comprehensive futuristic-gun homebrew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16074975). Sure they're somewhat complicated, but they get the job done.

Alent
2013-12-13, 05:10 AM
Do the rays have to come from the gun? Are you willing to go caster and RP it as technology?

Since it sounded like you were using Pathfinder, Spellslinger Wizard can discharge Rays from their gun and gain the gun's AB to the ranged touch attack. Couldn't you can do some shenanigans like Spellslinger Wizard 1/Sorcerer 19 or Magus 19 and use the magic trait that lets you lower the level of a spell by one to prepare and cast 7 or 8 Scorching Rays as a level 1 spell at at ECL2? (maybe that trait only applies to one class? even then, ray of enfeeblement and burning hands aren't bad options, either.)

You'd have a bunch of scorching rays you could unload, could go "phasers on stun!" then fire ray of enfeeblement until the enemy loses all their strength and drops, and at the very least fire the rays of frost cantrip, so you'd always be shooting rays from your gun.

If not... I guess you could always get a wand of Weaponwand, and use it to put a wand of scorching ray in a gun, and just pretend. Maybe talk your DM into re-skinning some modern firearms: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/firearms/modern-firearms

Also, at the risk of asking the obvious, is 3.5 on the table? If you were allowed to focus Eldritch Blasts and shapes through your gun, Spellslinger Wizard/binder/Warlock/Hellfire warlock/eldritch theurge(... I think this is the right name for lock/arcane?) would be a much simpler method to arrive at the above.

Yogibear41
2013-12-13, 06:32 AM
Actually, I did some more reading of the machinesmith class and their mobius cores which I would use to make the weapon are "permanent energy sources" and the description for mobius weapons says: "Some machinesmiths enter battle with powerful energy weapons capable of obliterating targets. These weapons can take the shape from complex rods, high powered energy crossbows, fire arms, swords or axes made entirely of energy, or even more exotic and strange devices." So I got to thinking, why not just have an "energy" pistol. From they "permanent energy source" bit it makes me think that I would never have to reload it either, the core should generate all the power I needed to fuel my "blasting" maybe take a few levels in gunslinger, possible gun tank archetype because I wanted to take adamantine body on the warforged and +1 max dex bonus on armor is kind of sad on a ranged fighter.

Although I will look into this gun wizard business.