PDA

View Full Version : Best/easiest way into the seelie court?

Deca4531
2013-12-13, 08:57 AM
so I'm working on a bard character who is pretty vein and self absorbed. I was looking to boost his abilities and almost went with unseelie fey but the template for seelie court fey seems almost more fitting from a roleplay perspective plus I like most of there spell like abilities as they will fit my character theme very well.

my question is, in order to be a member of you need to be a pure fey. So what would be the best race to go with that would benefit me as a barred or would have only a single hit dice so I could use it as a base race. I would like something of a medium size that looks at least fairly human as I intend him to be in the spotlight in cities a lot and while people will flock to a normal human (or other mundane race) they might be distrustful or intimidated by a "monster"

AMFV
2013-12-13, 09:03 AM
so I'm working on a bard character who is pretty vein and self absorbed. I was looking to boost his abilities and almost went with unseelie fey but the template for seelie court fey seems almost more fitting from a roleplay perspective plus I like most of there spell like abilities as they will fit my character theme very well.

my question is, in order to be a member of you need to be a pure fey. So what would be the best race to go with that would benefit me as a barred or would have only a single hit dice so I could use it as a base race. I would like something of a medium size that looks at least fairly human as I intend him to be in the spotlight in cities a lot and while people will flock to a normal human (or other mundane race) they might be distrustful or intimidated by a "monster"

The Gloura could be a good bit for you if you're starting at level 7+, it gets seventh level bard casting for free, and Charisma to AC, and it counts as a Fey. It's got +2 LA, but that can be completely bought off by 20th level, it also has a handy-dandy fly speed. It's in Underdark.

Magemakeboom
2013-12-13, 09:07 AM
Check races of the wild. In that book is a Fey with no Level adjustment called the killoren. They get no boosts to stats, but they have some cool abilities and can live forever if they so choose.

Zanos
2013-12-13, 09:07 AM
The Gloura could be a good bit for you if you're starting at level 7+, it gets seventh level bard casting for free, and Charisma to AC, and it counts as a Fey. It's got +2 LA, but that can be completely bought off by 20th level, it also has a handy-dandy fly speed. It's in Underdark.
Also available online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e).
+10 Dex +4 Con +2 Wis +6 Cha isn't anything to sneeze at, but they're not going to get any bard progression aside from spells, and might need real bard levels to qualify for the good PrCs.

Deca4531
2013-12-13, 09:10 AM
Check races of the wild. In that book is a Fey with no Level adjustment called the killoren. They get no boosts to stats, but they have some cool abilities and can live forever if they so choose.

they are one of the races I considered, but damn they're ugly.I also didn't see much that would benefit my class and figure there could probably be better options

Deca4531
2013-12-13, 09:14 AM

its a good race, but it leaves me almost no room for bard levels. And the build I'm looking at only has room for a 1 or 2 level adjustment.

AMFV
2013-12-13, 09:22 AM
its a good race, but it leaves me almost no room for bard levels. And the build I'm looking at only has room for a 1 or 2 level adjustment.

Well you buy it back and then add a couple bard levels, it may not be for you, but I did think it was worth mentioning. Also you can buy back all of the LA within a 20 level progression.

If we knew what your build was, I could offer more helpful stuffs. Without that we're kind of shooting in the dark.

Deca4531
2013-12-13, 09:29 AM
Well you buy it back and then add a couple bard levels, it may not be for you, but I did think it was worth mentioning. Also you can buy back all of the LA within a 20 level progression.

If we knew what your build was, I could offer more helpful stuffs. Without that we're kind of shooting in the dark.

my current build is 5 levels of Bard, 10 levels of storm singer, 1 level of Marshall and I have some wiggle room from there. The storm singer runs off my music uses per day so I can't afford so many HD.I'm not very concerned about my ability to cast spells, more looking for a good charisma and perform skill.

AMFV
2013-12-13, 09:33 AM
my current build is 5 levels of Bard, 10 levels of storm singer, 1 level of Marshall and I have some wiggle room from there. The storm singer runs off my music uses per day so I can't afford so many HD.I'm not very concerned about my ability to cast spells, more looking for a good charisma and perform skill.

How about Uldra? They're from Frostburn also, and have only a +1 LA, I believe bards are even their favored class. So that should fit fluffwise pretty well.

Edit: missed the medium size bit at the start.

Shining Wrath
2013-12-13, 09:35 AM
Pixie seems like a logical choice except size Small.

Will your DM let you take the Fey Bloodline (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#fey) and qualify that way?

Deca4531
2013-12-13, 09:46 AM
Pixie seems like a logical choice except size Small.

Will your DM let you take the Fey Bloodline (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm#fey) and qualify that way?

No you need to be pure bred fey with 2 fey parents.

Deca4531
2013-12-13, 09:48 AM
How about Uldra? They're from Frostburn also, and have only a +1 LA, I believe bards are even their favored class. So that should fit fluffwise pretty well.

Edit: missed the medium size bit at the start.

Yeah I'm trying to stay medium because I will be doing a lot of melee combat.

Red Fel
2013-12-13, 09:48 AM
Well, a quick Google turned up this Fey Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226612). There are lists of both fey creatures and fey races, with and without LA.

Not knowing much about the races themselves, I can't offer you much more than that.

With regard to appearance, an otherworldly-looking fey can still be very vain - he assumes his appearance is simply too glorious for hideous humans and the like to comprehend. Nonetheless, with spells like Alter Self or Disguise Self, he may deign to appear among them in a hideous form like theirs. Of course, that's a personal flavor choice. Not many fey seem to easily resemble humans and the like, it would seem.

Deca4531
2013-12-13, 09:57 AM
Well, a quick Google turned up this Fey Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226612). There are lists of both fey creatures and fey races, with and without LA.

Not knowing much about the races themselves, I can't offer you much more than that.

With regard to appearance, an otherworldly-looking fey can still be very vain - he assumes his appearance is simply too glorious for hideous humans and the like to comprehend. Nonetheless, with spells like Alter Self or Disguise Self, he may deign to appear among them in a hideous form like theirs. Of course, that's a personal flavor choice. Not many fey seem to easily resemble humans and the like, it would seem.

I came acrossed that myself in my research, I'm still looking through some of the entries for a good match. I was hoping maybe someone new a loophole or other such thing.the handbook can be a little difficult to use since not all the creatures can be easily looked up even through google, and I don't tend to have my source books with me while I am researching this. Thanks for the effort though. :-)

Shining Wrath
2013-12-13, 10:13 AM
Of the official races in the Fey Handbook, there are 3 medium:
Duskling (LA + 0)(Magic of Incarnum),
Jaebring (LA + 1)(Monster Manual 5)
Killoren (LA + 0) (Races of the Wild)

I am familiar with the Duskling, and you don't want those. They don't look at all human. +2 CON -2 INT not very good for most bard builds.

I have no idea what a Jaebring is.

Also, WotC has a sortable searchable monster index (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CEkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wizards.com%2Fdefault.asp%3Fx %3Ddnd%2Flists%2Fmonsters&ei=gSSrUsSlPMifyQGjo4GABQ&usg=AFQjCNGa98-TCwYooEGMRD8pzByKppLKrA&bvm=bv.57967247,d.aWc) which you can use if you can convince your DM to let you convert a "monster" into a playable race via templates or LA.