PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Self-sufficient warrior

Valwyn
2013-12-13, 10:17 AM
Or, more accurately, is there a way for a mundane (or mostly mundane) to get Fabricate or similar as a SLA/ability? It doesn't have to be a spell, just some way for a mundane to be able to make/improvise a weapon of his choice if it ever gets stolen/sundered or to make weapons in his spare time faster than it would take via crafting rules (should be useful for archers/throwers). The best I could think of was something along the lines of Ranger/Trapsmith, but I'd prefer to keep BAB as high as possible and casting as low as possible.

If nothing comes to mind, a gish specializing in spells that make weapons is fun as well. Should be easier to pull off as well, I think.

Lord Haart
2013-12-13, 01:40 PM
Is it creating near-anything temporarily for free, creating anything permanently for free, doing any of two above things but not for free, or just creating weapons for yourself to use for free you want?

First: psionic minor creation, doable by Hidden Talent, class investments are not required and only increase volume and usability/day. So a straight completely non-magical non-psionic fighter X can take it and make himself lots of one-hour non-magical wooden swords twice per day.
Second: a high-level psywar can Expanded Knowledge the psionic fabricate. Alternatively, there are ways to make a gish based on psion (or wilder), who gets it far faster. Downside: you get to be non-mundane (though lots of psionic goodness is or can be fluffed as non-flashy, intangible, "some supernatural balls here" non-mundaneness).
Third&fourth: magic gishes.
Fifth: lots of ways to make non-magical weapons, slightly less number of ways if you want them to stay top-notch. Non-magical: Hidden Talent/psionic class dip for Call Weaponry; Shape Soulmeld for Incarnum Weapon (gets to count as a magic weapon for DR purposes, but doesn't get other properties but +attack/damage with essentia investment); soulknife dip; etc. Magical: sadly, i can't remember a way that doesn't require heavy class level investments; if being a psywar with mundane fluff is okay with you, go for psywar with Favored Weapon ACF. Note that i believe you can apply Magic/Metaphysical weapon to some of non-magical options above.

Big Fau
2013-12-13, 02:59 PM
The Greater Mark of Making can give you Fabricate, and can be obtained via a feat and a 5-level detour into Dragonmarked Heir. Setting and race-specific though (Eberron, Human). Also you can get Minor Creation as an SLA.

Edit: An easier, significantly less multiclass-oriented way would be Shape Soulmeld: Incarnate Weapon. You'd always have a weapon that way, outside of AMFs that is.

Valwyn
2013-12-13, 04:01 PM
Is it creating near-anything temporarily for free, creating anything permanently for free, doing any of two above things but not for free, or just creating weapons for yourself to use for free you want?

Mostly creating something permanent (or very long lasting) from some material, be it materials bought from a shop, a Wall of Iron someone created, or from a pile of pots in the BBEG's kitchen.

First: psionic minor creation, doable by Hidden Talent, class investments are not required and only increase volume and usability/day. So a straight completely non-magical non-psionic fighter X can take it and make himself lots of one-hour non-magical wooden swords twice per day.

That should work nicely for arrows and the like. Thanks.

Second: a high-level psywar can Expanded Knowledge the psionic fabricate. Alternatively, there are ways to make a gish based on psion (or wilder), who gets it far faster. Downside: you get to be non-mundane (though lots of psionic goodness is or can be fluffed as non-flashy, intangible, "some supernatural balls here" non-mundaneness).

I'm not familiar with psionics, to be honest, but thanks for the info.

Third&fourth: magic gishes.

I think I might just go with this. Maybe a Suel Arcanamach.

Fifth: lots of ways to make non-magical weapons, slightly less number of ways if you want them to stay top-notch. Non-magical: Hidden Talent/psionic class dip for Call Weaponry; Shape Soulmeld for Incarnum Weapon (gets to count as a magic weapon for DR purposes, but doesn't get other properties but +attack/damage with essentia investment); soulknife dip; etc. Magical: sadly, i can't remember a way that doesn't require heavy class level investments; if being a psywar with mundane fluff is okay with you, go for psywar with Favored Weapon ACF. Note that i believe you can apply Magic/Metaphysical weapon to some of non-magical options above.

I'll do some research. Thanks for the pointers. :smallsmile:

The Greater Mark of Making can give you Fabricate, and can be obtained via a feat and a 5-level detour into Dragonmarked Heir. Setting and race-specific though (Eberron, Human). Also you can get Minor Creation as an SLA.

What book is that from?

Edit: An easier, significantly less multiclass-oriented way would be Shape Soulmeld: Incarnate Weapon. You'd always have a weapon that way, outside of AMFs that is.

I was hoping to avoid the weapon being dispelled or going away in an AMF.

Psyren
2013-12-13, 04:04 PM
The best I could think of was something along the lines of Ranger/Trapsmith, but I'd prefer to keep BAB as high as possible and casting as low as possible.

Have you looked at the PF Soulknife? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/soulknife) They make a sword (or club, spear, whatever you like) purely out of the power of their mind, so it can't be stolen or broken. (Well, not for long anyway.) Also, full BAB and no real casting.

Big Fau
2013-12-13, 04:07 PM
What book is that from?

Eberron Campaign Setting.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-12-13, 04:10 PM
The Dragonmark of Making and Dragonmark Heir are in the Eberron Campaign Setting. While they are deeply ingrained into Eberron's fluff it is actually easy to accommodate it to other settings since the mechanics are pretty easy (take a feat or in this case 3 and get some SLA that you can use once or twice a day).

Eitherway Human is pretty good for Suel Arcanamachs so if you where planning on going that way, you don't really loose much.

Valwyn
2013-12-13, 04:39 PM
Have you looked at the PF Soulknife? They make a sword (or club, spear, whatever you like) purely out of the power of their mind, so it can't be stolen or broken. (Well, not for long anyway.) Also, full BAB and no real casting.

That looks nice. I'll have to check out how psionics work ("spell point brain magic" is about all I know).

The Dragonmark of Making and Dragonmark Heir are in the Eberron Campaign Setting. While they are deeply ingrained into Eberron's fluff it is actually easy to accommodate it to other settings since the mechanics are pretty easy (take a feat or in this case 3 and get some SLA that you can use once or twice a day).

I don't have those books.

Eitherway Human is pretty good for Suel Arcanamachs so if you where planning on going that way, you don't really loose much.

Yeah, I guess I'll just go gish and be done with it. Sounds a lot easier to do, at any rate. Something/Suel Arcanamach 4/Abjurant Champion 5/Spellsword 1/Suel Arcanamach Y.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-12-13, 04:42 PM
Suel Arcanamach Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159617)

I am rather partial to Ranger 2/Fighter 1/Duskblade 3 entry. Also consider something like Dragon Disciple after 10 effective levels of SA casting since it doesn't improves any further.

Greenish
2013-12-13, 04:49 PM
That looks nice. I'll have to check out how psionics work ("spell point brain magic" is about all I know).Soulknife (aside from Gifted Blade archetype) doesn't really use psionics.

nedz
2013-12-13, 07:20 PM
Some more options to consider

Improved Unarmed Strike means you are always armed.
Unarmed Swordsage adaptation.
Warlock dip for Eldritch Claws or Eldritch Glaive — doesn't help in an AMF.
Cleric — possibly just a dip.