PDA

View Full Version : How can Wizard get Cleric spells?

Zirconia
2013-12-13, 11:06 AM
In my current game, everyone is playing a Wizard/X Gestalt. We have a Wiz/Rogue (me), Wiz/Barbarian, Wiz/Monk (monk is homebrew upgraded to be quite decent) and Wiz/Fighter. Because of the campaign setting, everyone is human, and no multiclassing or prestige classes, since gestalt with Wizard is already pretty darned capable. A lot of the campaign is fighting undead, though, and as we keep going up in levels from 5th where we are now I think we'll be feeling the lack of things like divine magic like Restoration and such, especially since we are already fighting a bit above normal CR and that will only get more so. We have easy access to out of combat healing, so that isn't a problem. A further complication is that the only magic items anyone can use are ones they make themselves, with a hard cap of WBL (sale price, not crafting price). Thus we can make and use cheap arcane items pretty easily, but that is it. UMD is an irrelevant skill in this game. We have a cleric buddy back in town, but no cohorts and such while out adventuring.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how we can access spell types other than the Wizard list, especially divine, prior to higher level spells like Gates and Wishes and such?

JeminiZero
2013-12-13, 11:56 AM
Try summoning something that can cast the spells for you. Summon Monster (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255219) can bring in some creatures with healing, most notably the Movanic Deva on SM7 that can cast Raise Dead as an SLA (which means no Diamond Dust cost). Similiarly, you can use Planar Binding (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135096) to get an Outsider minion that can cast the wanted spells/SLAs. Greater Planar Binding could bring you a Planetar, which casts as a level 17 Cleric.

Zanos
2013-12-13, 12:15 PM
Regular planar binding, available two spell levels earlier than greater planar binding, can grab you a ghaele (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghaele.htm), which can cast as a 14th level cleric.

I mean, your DM might slap you for summoning something with 14th level casting at CL 11, but it's there.

Ezekiul
2013-12-13, 12:17 PM
The Arcane Disciple feat from Complete Divine gives you access to spells from one domain, you and your buddies can take a different one each and get some versatility. The drawback is that you need a Wis score of 10 + spell level to be able to prepare/cast the spells.

Zirconia
2013-12-13, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the tips, these are some good ideas, even if some of them are available a bit later in level than I hoped. I've never been in a campaign that did much with summoning, so I'm not very up on that.

I'll look into the Arcane Disciple feat as well, we are allowed to retrain feats as per the PHB2. Any suggestions on good Domains for a party with lots of wizards but no divine magic users?

Cruiser1
2013-12-13, 02:21 PM
Does anyone have any thoughts on how we can access spell types other than the Wizard list, especially divine, prior to higher level spells like Gates and Wishes and such?
Take 10 levels of the Rainbow Servant (CD) PrC, and all Cleric spells get added to your Wizard spell list. You can start taking Rainbow Servant at level 2 with early entry, meaning you get Cleric spells at level 11.

Some Wizard spells allow access to nice Cleric abilities. Light of Venya (SpC) is a 3rd level Wizard spell that allows you to heal 1d6+CL hp from Medium range. It can also optionally nuke, so is quite versatile.

Skevvix
2013-12-14, 03:48 AM
Take 10 levels of the Rainbow Servant (CD) PrC, and all Cleric spells get added to your Wizard spell list. You can start taking Rainbow Servant at level 2 with early entry, meaning you get Cleric spells at level 11.

Some Wizard spells allow access to nice Cleric abilities. Light of Venya (SpC) is a 3rd level Wizard spell that allows you to heal 1d6+CL hp from Medium range. It can also optionally nuke, so is quite versatile.

You may have missed this sentence.

Because of the campaign setting, everyone is human, and no multiclassing or prestige classes, since gestalt with Wizard is already pretty darned capable

Telok
2013-12-14, 03:59 AM
Couatl (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/couatl.htm) cast as sorcerers but can choose spells from the cleric list.

Planar Bind a Couatl and cast Limited Wish to emulate Psychic Reformation to change it's spells to the ones you want and give it Scribe Scroll. The Couatl can now scribe arcane scrolls of divine spells.

Getting higher than 4th level spells will depend on how your DM rules a Couatl with cleric or sorcerer levels gains spells and if you can find an advanced member of the species.

molten_dragon
2013-12-14, 08:59 AM
I'll toss out one suggestion that hasn't been mentioned yet, though I don't know if OP's DM will allow it.

Take the leadership feat. Have a cleric as a cohort.

Regular planar binding, available two spell levels earlier than greater planar binding, can grab you a ghaele (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghaele.htm), which can cast as a 14th level cleric.

I mean, your DM might slap you for summoning something with 14th level casting at CL 11, but it's there.

It can also get you a trumpet archon, which also has casting as a level 14 cleric, and is a good bit more durable (higher AC and nearly double the HP)

Chronos
2013-12-14, 10:20 AM
Quoth Telok:

Planar Bind a Couatl and cast Limited Wish to emulate Psychic Reformation to change it's spells to the ones you want and give it Scribe Scroll. The Couatl can now scribe arcane scrolls of divine spells.
OK, and what good is that? You still can't use a scroll unless it's on your class list, which means that it would be usable only by couatls and some dragons. Unless you're using UMD, in which case it doesn't matter that it's arcane or divine.

Telok
2013-12-14, 06:24 PM
OK, and what good is that? You still can't use a scroll unless it's on your class list, which means that it would be usable only by couatls and some dragons. Unless you're using UMD, in which case it doesn't matter that it's arcane or divine.

Oh, yeah, the class list thing. I think that the cognitive dissonance of arcane cleric spells threw me a bit. I was thinking of scribing the scrolls into a spellbook but the class list limitation is a bugger. Hmm, is suppose that it could make researching custon wizard spells to do something similar a bit easier...

Got it. Runestaves. Bind the couatl and make a custom rusestaff with it's help, you provide the feat and the xp while it provides the spellcasting. That could work.

Chronos
2013-12-14, 09:12 PM
Runestaves also only work from your own class spell list.

And technically, you can scribe any spell you want into your spellbook; the limitation is on actually casting it.

nedz
2013-12-14, 09:16 PM
Isn't there are way of becoming an Archon etc. ?

Der_DWSage
2013-12-15, 01:14 AM
Well...probably the simplest, non-cheesy way is to take a feat at 6th level. I believe the name is Arcane Devotee, but I'm probably mistaken on that. It adds a single Cleric domain to your spells known, so you could take Healing and get...Heal. (Or at the level you'd get it, just the relevant Cure X spells.)

There's probably a domain out there that give access to Lesser Restoration and family, but darned if I know it off the top of my head.

ben-zayb
2013-12-15, 01:32 AM
If healing is the only problem, there are a handful of options.

1. Get the Arcane Disciple (healing) feat.
2. Retrain feats for Otherworldly and Assume Supernatural Ability, and buy Skin of Proteus. Now you can turn to a Guardinal (et al) to gain lay-on hands for others.
3. Pool party funds to buy a Skin of Proteus. By RAW it also heals as though you had a good night's sleep, so just share it with the rest of the party, and activate it multiple times.

If you need other spells, just planar bind a ghaele as already mdntioned.

nedz
2013-12-15, 06:13 AM
Or, dip Sacred Exorcist and grab Healing Devotion.