PDA

View Full Version : Travelling Band (bard party)

Dr. Cliché
2013-12-13, 12:26 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has tried playing a party that consists entirely of bards?

If so, did it actually work?

gorilla-turtle
2013-12-13, 12:32 PM
Hm.... a Divine Bard to use as your Cleric, a Sublime Chord for your Wizard, one focusing on diplomacy and the like, and one optimizing Dragonfire Inspiration to be your front liner (or at least lead front liner)... it could certainly happen.

Alternatively, 6 Bards, each with a different color, and each using a different form of Dragonfire Inspiration (the last one being neutral, and thus applying simply a bonus to hit). That would be an interesting team.

Psyren
2013-12-13, 12:41 PM
Pathfinder can do this easily:

Tanks: Arcane Duelist, Dervish of Dawn and Dervish Dancer
Primary casters: Sound Striker, Dirge and Magician
Skillmonkeys: Detective, Sandman and Archeologist
Healer: Songhealer and/or regular Bard

ddude987
2013-12-13, 12:49 PM
I've never played a party of bards, mainly because my playgroup doesn't take to bards kindly. A bard I played was based on excalubur from the soul eater anime and was extremely annoying. Another bard we had was part rogue and combat looted, leaving the rest of us to die. I think that it could work though, decent casting, skills, and combat ability. The only thing you are missing is trapfinding, though a DM should, or could, balance encounters around your party, making the party work regardless of composition.

Nettlekid
2013-12-13, 01:17 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has tried playing a party that consists entirely of bards?

If so, did it actually work?

I did this for a one-shot, and it was fantastic. It was only a single session that lasted about six hours or so, but it was so much fun. It was mainly a kind of social campaign that involved them going around a city, trying to get invitations to a fancy gala, and then going to the gala. There was a little battle, but not much. They were level 12 I think, and the builds were a Sublime Chord, a Heartfire Fanner (from some Dragon Magazine, basically just a Dragonfire Inspiration/Words of Creation abuser), and a Master of Masks, so we had a caster, melee fighter, and skillmonkey all as Bards. It went well.

Brookshw
2013-12-13, 01:18 PM
I think this band needs a name and theme.

G.Cube
2013-12-13, 01:25 PM
Alignment could detetmine the type of music they play, CG jazz, CE metal, LN Opera, and so forth.

tricktroller
2013-12-13, 01:38 PM
I think you are confusing heavy metal with screamo. Heavy metal is most definitely Chaotic Good, half of the metal bands I know are nordic themed, and screamo is chaotic evil.

ddude987
2013-12-13, 01:42 PM
I think you are confusing heavy metal with screamo. Heavy metal is most definitely Chaotic Good, half of the metal bands I know are nordic themed, and screamo is chaotic evil.

but what if it is christian screamo? Then what is its alignment?

Nettlekid
2013-12-13, 01:44 PM
Alignment could detetmine the type of music they play, CG jazz, CE metal, LN Opera, and so forth.

Lawful Neutral Bards? In MY D&D?

Psyren
2013-12-13, 01:44 PM
Lawful Neutral Bards? In MY D&D?

PF bards can have any alignment.

Nettlekid
2013-12-13, 01:47 PM
PF bards can have any alignment.

Huh, did not know that. I don't know much about PF. What other alignment restrictions were done away with. Are Monks still Lawful only?

Red Fel
2013-12-13, 01:54 PM
I could see an evil band of Bards doing something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVjf5CccAwY).

And that's just with two of them. Now imagine a larger group.

And know true fear.

Psyren
2013-12-13, 01:57 PM
Huh, did not know that. I don't know much about PF. What other alignment restrictions were done away with. Are Monks still Lawful only?

Monks are still Lawful, Barbarians are still Non-Lawful, Paladins are still LG, Druids are still Any N. It's just Bards that were unfettered a bit IIRC.

EDIT: The PF Bard is fairly similar - you can check it out, as well as the archetypes I mentioned, here. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard)

Palanan
2013-12-13, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Psyren
Pathfinder can do this easily:

Tanks: Arcane Duelist, Dervish of Dawn and Dervish Dancer
Primary casters: Sound Striker, Dirge and Magician
Skillmonkeys: Detective, Sandman and Archeologist
Healer: Songhealer and/or regular Bard

Are there any easy parallels in 3.5?

Healing Hymn could go a ways towards a "songhealer" type in 3.5. Not sure how you'd work up the others.

Originally Posted by G.Cube

So is country NG?

:smalltongue: