PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 What are the best weapon enhancements?

Dr. Azkur
2013-12-13, 01:01 PM
What do you think are the best magical melee weapon enhancements?

(I'll be using an Elven Courtblade, but you may refer to anything, really)

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-13, 01:06 PM
Spellblade.

eggynack
Spell storing. Cause it stores spells, and more magic is better than less magic.

Greenish
I like Blessed (MIC), for a "conventional" Good vs. Evil campaign. Take Imp. Critical, crit on every roll above 14 (if you're using high crit weapon).

Everbright (MIC) is mere 2,000 gp and makes your weapon immune to acid and rust (and extra shiny). Hideaway (same source and cost) lets you hide your greatsword in your sleeve, if necessary.

Those, with Least Crystal of Return, are usually my go-to enhancements. If not doing Good vs. Evil, replace Blessed with Keen.

Corinath
2013-12-13, 01:08 PM
Vorpal.

For the lulz.

I have a rogue I'm building. Here are the ones that interest me, personally.

Hellforged Template (1,500): +1 dmg to flanked, Speed affinity. 1,500
Doomwarding (38,500): Re-roll a die 7 times total, even if 1.
Spellblade (6,000): Absorbs one pre-determined spell, redirects as free action.
Sudden Strike (2,000): Ref DC (10+1/2lvl+CHAmod), or stun 1d4+1/R. CHAmod/day
Shadowstrike (5,000): Add 5 to reach for 1 attack. 1/day.

Blurstrike (+2): Flatfoots 1 opponent once/encounter, 10/day
Speed (+3): Full Attack action grants extra attack.
Transmuting (+2): Overcomes ANY DR after second hit.
Magebane (+1): +2 atk and 2d6 dmg vs Arcane or Invocations.
Earthbound (+1): +2 atk/dmg while on the ground

EDIT: Let's add crystals, which are interchangeable enhancements, basically. See MIC.

Truedeath Crystal: 1d6 vs undead, Strikes incorporeal, SA and Crit undead.
Revelation Crystal: vs invis Glows 1/r, Invis suppressed, Concealment suppressed.
Demolition: 1d6 vs Constructs, Adamantine for DR, SA and Crit constructs.
Feindslayer: 1d6 vs Outsiders, Good for DR, Crit suppresses Teleport 1/R.
Return: Draw as Free, Call to hand 30ft as move, grants “Returning”.

Dr. Azkur
2013-12-13, 01:30 PM
Spellblade.

Hm! Looks fun... what spell do you recommend immunity against?

Everbright (MIC) is mere 2,000 gp and makes your weapon immune to acid and rust (and extra shiny). Hideaway (same source and cost) lets you hide your greatsword in your sleeve, if necessary.

Definitely giving it a go. But one question, can you add those after acquiring the weapon? That'd be cool since I'm planning on starting the game with the courtblade at hand and I'd like to keep it... it's not really flavourful to just switch for same weap+nifty little enchantment.

Speed (+3): Full Attack action grants extra attack.

Return: Draw as Free, Call to hand 30ft as move, grants “Returning”.

SEXY!

ddude987
2013-12-13, 01:47 PM
Hm! Looks fun... what spell do you recommend immunity against?

Dispel magic, or greater, is a popular choice.

Icewraith
2013-12-13, 02:05 PM
Martial Discipline weapons are great if you're an initiator.

+1 cost, add +1 to hit when you have a maneuver of the particular discipline readied, changes to +3 to hit when you use a maneuver OR ARE IN A STANCE from the discipline. Stacks with other Martial Discipline enchantments.

So, depending on your maneuver and stance choices, you could be looking at a +4 or +6 to-hit for 2 +1 weapon enhancements that stack with your weapon's enhancement bonus and things like greater magic weapon, bane, or Magebane.

Greenish
2013-12-13, 02:10 PM
Definitely giving it a go. But one question, can you add those after acquiring the weapon? That'd be cool since I'm planning on starting the game with the courtblade at hand and I'd like to keep it... it's not really flavourful to just switch for same weap+nifty little enchantment.Yeah, you can upgrade your weapon, or rather, your crafter of choice can. As long as it's masterwork, it can be enhanced, and if it's already magic, you just add the new property.

SEXY!Weapon (and armour) crystals come in levels, mind. Least crystals can be applied to masterwork weapons, Lesser require the weapon to be +1, and Greater require +3 weapons (straight enhancement, not equivalents).

JaronK
2013-12-13, 02:18 PM
But one question, can you add those after acquiring the weapon? That'd be cool since I'm planning on starting the game with the courtblade at hand and I'd like to keep it... it's not really flavourful to just switch for same weap+nifty little enchantment.

Look up the Ancestral Relic feat. It'll let you enchant the blade yourself, improving it as you level up. That way you can keep it the whole way.

Also, consider Keen + Enfeebling. Lots of crits, and those crits even hurt crit immunes. If you want to be crazy, go with Aptitude and get either the Roundabout Kick or Lightning Mace feat chains.

JaronK

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 02:32 PM
Well i love Vampiric and a True Death Crystal, i love being a self healing martial and critting undead is just handy

Totema
2013-12-13, 02:40 PM
This may prove helpful. (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1061821) I tend to go there as a starting point at least. That said, Spellblade is a perennial favorite of mine, and it lets martial classes pull a lot more weight.

OldTrees1
2013-12-13, 06:42 PM
Transmuting [+2, MIC] DR only affect the first turn and the 11th turn against a foe. Works for all DR (except DR/-?)

Dusk Eclipse
2013-12-13, 06:44 PM
Transmuting only works against material based DR (so Silver, Cold Iron and Adamantine), Shadow Striking [ToM] does works against any type of DR, but it is a +3 equivalent.

Metahuman1
2013-12-13, 06:51 PM
I like Force myself for getting around DR.

If you charge a lot, Valorous is worth a look.

Mage Bane is wonderful. More so if your DM agrees spell like ability's or innate monster spell casting triggers it.

I LOVE the healing property. Half the damage I just did as you as recovered HP every time I land a blow? Yes please!

If Immune to none lethal Damage, Merciful + Vicious can be a devastating combo.

And complete Warrior has two that I would not necessarily add but that seem like they might be cool in the right situation. Last resort on the right build can add a lot of damage, but it would have to already be a pretty crazy build.

And Exploding Weapon, if you can find a way to not have to worry about friendly fire issues, would be sweet.

If the DM will rule targets must make the save of be dehydrated, Desiccate is really cool too. +1d4 damage that nothing is really immune too pretty much, and a save against a nasty Debuff condition every attack? Sweet.

Greenish
2013-12-13, 07:01 PM
Intercepting (FoW) is pretty nifty too, if your DM likes melee mooks. Free attack at double damage against grapples, charges, whatnot.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-12-13, 07:04 PM
Wrathful Healing from Enemies and Allies, it costs a +3. Any time you deal damage with the weapon you're healed for half the total damage dealt, including bonus damage such as power attack, strength bonus, sneak attack, etc.

Particle_Man
2013-12-13, 07:06 PM
You might look into intelligence as well. It gives the weapon its own actions, which is golden in an action economy situation. Mind you, you have to make sure either that you and the weapon see eye to eye or that you can make the will vs. ego check if you don't see eye to eye.

Metahuman1
2013-12-13, 07:25 PM
Wrathful Healing from Enemies and Allies, it costs a +3. Any time you deal damage with the weapon you're healed for half the total damage dealt, including bonus damage such as power attack, strength bonus, sneak attack, etc.

Healing from champions of Valor does this but it's +2.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-12-13, 07:38 PM
Would they stack? It would be quite hilarious to make a +1 Wrathful Healing, Healing, Bloodtsone, Vicious weapon. ALL OF THE HEALING

Bloodstone works as a spell storing weapon that can only hold Vampiric Touch, but it auto-empowers it (as the metamagic) .

Draz74
2013-12-13, 08:01 PM
Sudden Stunning is overpowered. Stunning Surge is a nerfed version of it, and is still pretty good.

Valorous can just be ridiculous when stacked on top of a build that already uses the good charging tricks.

Transmuting only works against material based DR (so Silver, Cold Iron and Adamantine), Shadow Striking [ToM] does works against any type of DR, but it is a +3 equivalent.

Nope, you're mixing up Transmuting with Metalline or something else. (Maybe a buff spell?) Transmuting works against all DR types.

The advantage of Shadow Striking over Transmuting is that you don't need to waste one attack hitting the target before the anti-DR adaptation kicks in. Nor renew the change after 1 minute. (And no, that's not really worth another +1 of enhancements, so Transmuting is better for its cost than Shadow Striking.)

SowZ
2013-12-13, 08:07 PM
Parrying. A flat cost improvement with an an AC bonus and a +1 to all saves that I likely don't have yet.

Valorous. A ludicrous enchantment for +1. (I'd probably houserule it down to +2d10 or something.)

Splitting/Speed.

Lucky. (On ammunition.)

Greenish
2013-12-13, 08:10 PM
Parrying. A flat cost improvement with an an AC bonus and a +1 to all saves that I likely don't have yet.Parrying got changed into +2 property in MIC. :smallfrown:

Zanos
2013-12-13, 08:12 PM
Collision is pretty solid. Just adds +5 damage. Nice if you have a lot of attacks.

Metahuman1
2013-12-13, 08:25 PM
Collision is pretty solid. Just adds +5 damage. Nice if you have a lot of attacks.

Ok, I'll bite, what's the catch? Cause that sounds like it would be a must have on a TWF build.

Overpriced?

OldTrees1
2013-12-13, 08:28 PM

Incorrect, Transmuting takes on the properties needed to overcome the DR of the creature it hit. No mention of only being material based. It is only +2 since it does not work the first turn and only adapts to one creature's set of DRs at a time.

Zanos
2013-12-13, 08:28 PM
Ok, I'll bite, what's the catch? Cause that sounds like it would be a must have on a TWF build.

Overpriced?
+2 bonus. So fairly pricey since a weapon with just that will have the cost of at least a +3, and TWF makes you buy two weapons.

Good on TWF, great on ranged characters with the other standard ranged shenanigans.

jaybird
2013-12-13, 08:53 PM
Prismatic Burst for crit-fishers, AFAIK flat cost enhancement.

Metahuman1
2013-12-13, 08:55 PM
+2 bonus. So fairly pricey since a weapon with just that will have the cost of at least a +3, and TWF makes you buy two weapons.

Good on TWF, great on ranged characters with the other standard ranged shenanigans.

I see. Well, a somewhat Lenient DM would with this would make a totemist very happy with an amulet of mighty fists. What book is it in?

Greenish
2013-12-13, 08:56 PM
I see. Well, a somewhat Lenient DM would with this would make a totemist very happy with an amulet of mighty fists. What book is it in?EPH. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/weapons.htm#collision)

SowZ
2013-12-13, 08:59 PM

How is that not just plain worse than a Flaming/Shock weapon which deals an average of 7 damage for the same price? Sure, it can be less than 5, too, but will be above 7 just as often. And sure, creatures can have resistance but are just as likely to have either vulnerability/DR weak to that type.

Parrying got changed into +2 property in MIC. :smallfrown:

Awwww.

Zanos
2013-12-13, 09:04 PM
How is that not just plain worse than a Flaming/Shock weapon which deals an average of 7 damage for the same price? Sure, it can be less than 5, too, but will be above 7 just as often. And sure, creatures can have resistance but are just as likely to have either vulnerability/DR weak to that type.
Resistance 5/10, which is extremely common, pretty much nullifies those. If they have DR against what you're using the +5 still helps you overcome it. In addition since it's flat damage and not a bonus die, I think it's multiplied on a crit, but I'm not 100% on that. I don't melee very frequently.

Karnith
2013-12-13, 09:08 PM
Resistance 5/10, which is extremely common, pretty much nullifies those. If they have DR against what you're using the +5 still helps you overcome it. In addition since it's flat damage and not a bonus die, I think it's multiplied on a crit, but I'm not 100% on that. I don't melee very frequently.
Static modifiers to damage (like the bonus from Collision) are multiplied by critical hits, while extra damage dice (like those from Flaming or Shock) are not. Per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#criticalHits):

A critical hit means that you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together. Unless otherwise specified, the threat range for a critical hit on an attack roll is 20, and the multiplier is ×2.

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage is not multiplied when you score a critical hit.

SowZ
2013-12-13, 09:32 PM
Static modifiers to damage (like the bonus from Collision) are multiplied by critical hits, while extra damage dice (like those from Flaming or Shock) are not. Per the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#criticalHits):

Ahh, alrighty. I didn't consider the crit multiplication. Just factoring in DR and resistance, I still think Collision is no better because the elemental damage could just as easily help you. But with the critical factor, that pushes them from 'equal/maybe collision slightly worse' to 'collision slightly better.'

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 09:38 PM
Brutal Surge, for when you want to be Nightmare, but sadly its only 3/day

lsfreak
2013-12-14, 12:08 AM
Ahh, alrighty. I didn't consider the crit multiplication. Just factoring in DR and resistance, I still think Collision is no better because the elemental damage could just as easily help you. But with the critical factor, that pushes them from 'equal/maybe collision slightly worse' to 'collision slightly better.'

Not really sure it would. Compared to resistance, vulnerability to elements is extremely rare.

There's also the reliability issue. Always getting 5 damage over on average getting 7 damage is probably worth the trade. That's ignoring how very common energy resistance or outright immunity (not that there's an appreciable difference when you're only dealing 1d6 damage) gets after about level 10.

Collision, shadowstriking, and wrathful healing are good general ones. I also like blurstriking and keen, though they're build-dependent. I dislike Speed weapons; if I'm dependent on myself to provide haste, I'd rather get boots of speed (you can buy buy a +1 speed weapon, OR a +2 weapon and two pairs of boots for a total of 20 rounds of haste a day for the same price).

SowZ
2013-12-14, 12:21 AM
Not really sure it would. Compared to resistance, vulnerability to elements is extremely rare.

There's also the reliability issue. Always getting 5 damage over on average getting 7 damage is probably worth the trade. That's ignoring how very common energy resistance or outright immunity (not that there's an appreciable difference when you're only dealing 1d6 damage) gets after about level 10.

Collision, shadowstriking, and wrathful healing are good general ones. I also like blurstriking and keen, though they're build-dependent. I dislike Speed weapons; if I'm dependent on myself to provide haste, I'd rather get boots of speed (you can buy buy a +1 speed weapon, OR a +2 weapon and two pairs of boots for a total of 20 rounds of haste a day for the same price).

I wasn't just talking vulnerability, but also bypassing elemental DR entirely.

Collision probably is a little better, but I still think a +2 price tag for 5 damage aint worth it. Damage is cheap and easy to raise. There are so many utility abilities and x/day spells I could cast from items with the money that a +2 weapon enhancement costs at high levels.

Metahuman1
2013-12-14, 12:42 AM

Speed is expensive, but it has a nitch on TWF/Multy Weapon fighting and multy-attack builds.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-12-14, 01:19 AM
I would take collision over flaming/frost any day. Small resistances are incredibly common. That said, Collision isn't as good as the best enchantments. Some combination of Magebane, Bloodstone, Blessed, Brash, Brutal Surge, Dispelling, Seeking, or others would be better, depending on the character/weapon in question.

OldTrees1
2013-12-14, 01:25 AM
Speed is expensive, but it has a nitch on TWF/Multy Weapon fighting and multy-attack builds.

Wait, isn't TWF the last place you would find the Speed enchantment?

An 11th level Fighter would have 3 attacks with their weapon. Speed increases the number of attacks by 33% and increases the number of Full BAB attacks by 100%.

In contrast an 11th level dual wielding(TWF feat and ITWF item) Fighter would have 5 attacks. 1 Speed enhancement increases the number of attacks by 20% and increases the number of Full BAB attacks by 50%

In conclusion: Speed is much better for one weapon character.

SowZ
2013-12-14, 01:27 AM

Speed is nice when paired with Splitting, too. But it is better to get a haste effect some other way.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-12-14, 01:33 AM
Intercepting (FoW) is pretty nifty too, if your DM likes melee mooks. Free attack at double damage against grapples, charges, whatnot.What is FoW?
Healing from champions of Valor does this but it's +2.I don't see the Healing enchantment in Champions of Valor.

Draz74
2013-12-14, 02:20 AM
I generally only find Collision worthwhile on crit-fisher builds.

Greenish
2013-12-14, 03:46 AM
What is FoW?Forge of War, an Eberron source book focusing on the Last War. The crunch is so-so, but the fluff is solid and plentiful.

avr
2013-12-14, 05:01 AM
Merciful's not bad. Still the same +1/1d6 but sometimes not killing is important, and you can usually kill someone later if they're unconscious. You want a backup weapon or another means of attack though, spending a standard action just to turn it off is a real pain.

ben-zayb
2013-12-14, 06:42 AM
Transmuting only works against material based DR (so Silver, Cold Iron and Adamantine), Shadow Striking [ToM] does works against any type of DR, but it is a +3 equivalent.Actually, it doesn't work like that at all.
Effect: Shadow striking weapons draw on the reflective nature of shadow to alter their nature and overcome damage reduction. A shadow striking weapon can adjust to emulate any alignment or substance required to overcome damage reduction.Emphasis mine. Shadow Striking is not bypassing DR/Epic and DR/- any time soon.

I prefer using Spellstrike and Defending when not playing a weapon-based PC, Shattermantle and Spellstoring when using Gish-types, & Wrathful Healing and Valorous on heavy hitting, charging builds.

Dr. Azkur
2013-12-14, 07:29 AM
Actually, it doesn't work like that at all.Emphasis mine. Shadow Striking is not bypassing DR/Epic and DR/- any time soon.

According to that, neither can they bypass damage type DR (e.g. DR/Slashing)

Chronos
2013-12-14, 10:33 AM
My current character's overpowerd weapon is +1, holy, collision, keen, and shattermantle (the last of these because my entire party is made up of spellcasters). Toss on a CL 21 Greater Magic Weapon and Undead Bane Weapon every morning, and it really packs a punch.

Metahuman1
2013-12-14, 02:43 PM
What is FoW?I don't see the Healing enchantment in Champions of Valor.

well crap. I know I've seen it in a Forgotten Realms book and I could have sworn it was in Champions of Valor.

Um, anybody know where the Healing Weapon property can be found? It's a +2 property if that helps.

Edit: Also, on speed, no, Haste is better for someone with just a single weapon, cause you get a whole bunch of bennies for less resource investment. If Haste applied to all weapons/attacks, it would be but cause it doesn't TWF and Multyweapon/attack styles get the shaft again.

Niall
2020-06-16, 12:32 PM
Healing from champions of Valor does this but it's +2.

Can some one say the page? can't find it :smallfrown:

ty!

Peelee
2020-06-16, 01:15 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Even the best weapon enhancements are ineffective on dead threads.