PDA

View Full Version : Item-Only Ikea Tarrasque?

Nettlekid
2013-12-13, 01:04 PM
I've occasionally wanted to build a character who is basically indestructible. He doesn't have to do super high damage, but through a battle of attrition he wears down his enemy. Think like, anime protagonist, where they get blasted away into walls and things and are like "ooooh, ow, that hurt," but they always get up and get back in the fight.

I know the Ikea Tarrasque/Emerald Legion is pretty popular for making an indestructible being, but it's not the most fun or heroic (in my mind) to be running around as some triple mutant thing all the time. It would be cool to be able to make any character, be it human or elf or dwarf, this type of unkillable. With the plethora of magic items (and custom-made magic items of spells) out there, given enough gold I'm sure something can be done to take care of any and every kind of damaging effect. The question is, what needs taking care of?

Regular Damage-Regeneration coupled with Nonlethal Immunity. Unless Monstrous Regeneration counts as its own spell (and it shouldn't as it was updated in the Spell Compendium) then I think the Shriver (from Fiendish Codex II) is the best bet. You'll be vulnerable to Chaotic and Good weapons (or Chaotic weapons and Good weapons, depending on the reading,) which is harder to beat than the usual elemental weaknesses. Nonlethal Immunity is best gained with an item of Favor of the Martyr, which you'll want for other reasons.

Fatigue/Exhaustion-Item of Favor of the Martyr

Sickened/Nauseated-Item of Favor of the Martyr

Stunned-Item of Item of Favor of the Martyr

Dazed-Item of Favor of the Martyr

Any Mind-Affecting (fear effects, confusion, etc)-1/day item of Mind Blank.

Critical Hits (to block Vorpal)-Heavy Fortification Armor, or an embedded Gemstone of Fortification.

Death Effects-Soulfire Armor or an item of Death Ward.

Ability Damage/Drain-Item of Sheltered Vitality

True Seeing-Hathran Mask of True Seeing (perhaps refluff as Goggles or something)

Freedom of Movement-Ring of Freedom of Movement.

Polymorph/Petrificaiton-Proof Against Transmutation Armor.

Poison-Periapt of Proof Against Poison.

Disease-Periapt of Health.

Food (you can starve!)-Ring of Sustenance.

Breathing-Necklace of Adaptation.

Forced Teleportation-(Nothing yet.) An item of Avoid Planar Effects lowers the damage, but apart from a highly limiting item of Dimensional Anchor I don't know what would work.

That's all I can think of for now, but I doubt that's all there is to deal with. Because it's all item-based, spells like Greater Dispel Magic, Antimagic Field, and of course Mordenkainen's Disjunction are deadly. GDM and its variants can be dealt with using Spellblade weapons. AMF has the famous Tinfoil Hat. And MDJ can be...Ring of Spell-Battled, maybe? Or have a Crafted Contingent Celerity to use to run away?

Eldariel
2013-12-13, 01:17 PM
Principal issue with this compared to Ikea Tarrasque/Caster is that your items aren't protected from being attacked and they sure as hell aren't immune to magic/damage. So, basically anyone can get around this by breaking your stuff and dispelling/dejoining your items.

To cover few things here, there's always Legacy Weapon (it can carry personal Mind Blank and effective Foresight among other things). Ring of Mind Shielding from DMGII or whatever gets you Mind Blank too.

Nettlekid
2013-12-13, 01:21 PM
Principal issue with this compared to Ikea Tarrasque/Caster is that your items aren't protected from being attacked and they sure as hell aren't immune to magic/damage. So, basically anyone can get around this by breaking your stuff and dispelling/dejoining your items.

To cover few things here, there's always Legacy Weapon (it can carry personal Mind Blank and effective Foresight among other things). Ring of Mind Shielding from DMGII or whatever gets you Mind Blank too.

Can you attack items with spells like Orb of Force? I know that if you roll a Nat 1 on a save against say, Fireball, your item can take damage. But I didn't think that just standing in fire would hurt your items. And I mentioned counters to Dispel Magic, although MDJ is still a tough one. True though, I hadn't thought about the perils of Sundering.

I mean, I GUESS you could make them all slotless, or stack them onto a Psychoactive Skin and thus make them untargetable. Still have the MDJ issue, but less of the others.

Shyftir
2013-12-13, 01:21 PM
One of those TOB items that gives access to a maneuver, so you can pick up iron heart surge. Gives you a catch all for more exotic effects.

Eldariel
2013-12-13, 01:31 PM
Can you attack items with spells like Orb of Force? I know that if you roll a Nat 1 on a save against say, Fireball, your item can take damage. But I didn't think that just standing in fire would hurt your items. And I mentioned counters to Dispel Magic, although MDJ is still a tough one. True though, I hadn't thought about the perils of Sundering.

I mean, I GUESS you could make them all slotless, or stack them onto a Psychoactive Skin and thus make them untargetable. Still have the MDJ issue, but less of the others.

No, by default you cannot sunder with most spell attacks (Sunder specifies slashing or bludgeoning melee attack; Mordenkainen's Sword and such could work obviously but that's about it). Spellblade is of course fine and dandy but it only makes the wielder immune; I'm not sure targeted dispel at the items themselves would be blocked.

Similar issues exist with most of the protections; they're usually primed to protect their wielder but not necessary items in her possession (and of course, there are multiple Dispel variants which makes getting them all under Spellblade vexing).

Nettlekid
2013-12-13, 01:40 PM
No, by default you cannot sunder with most spell attacks (Sunder specifies slashing or bludgeoning melee attack; Mordenkainen's Sword and such could work obviously but that's about it). Spellblade is of course fine and dandy but it only makes the wielder immune; I'm not sure targeted dispel at the items themselves would be blocked.

Similar issues exist with most of the protections; they're usually primed to protect their wielder but not necessary items in her possession (and of course, there are multiple Dispel variants which makes getting them all under Spellblade vexing).

It seems like the best thing to do would be to somehow make them so that they have line of effect to you and can affect you, but have total cover from everything else and so cannot be targeted themselves. Perhaps to make them internal? Like have rings grafted onto your bone and amulets placed against your heart, being under the effects of Delay Death while you do this probably, and then Regeneration heals it over. Like Wolverine. How can anything target the items with anything like Dispel Magic when it's got full cover by your body? And nothing's going to get through your body, because you're immune to damage.

Can you stack magic item effects onto a graft? Because if so, it might work to have them all on something like the Warforged Graft Heart of Steel or Wakeful Mind or the Draconic Graft Dragonheart Presence, which have no visible components and are fully implanted, for that similar effect.

Spore
2013-12-13, 06:30 PM
Just pointing out the obvious here. Your fights >COULD< start to be annoyingly long. Kind of like DBZ's 20 episodes of 'Hnnnnngh' followed by a last devastating attack.

Nettlekid
2013-12-13, 07:28 PM
Just pointing out the obvious here. Your fights >COULD< start to be annoyingly long. Kind of like DBZ's 20 episodes of 'Hnnnnngh' followed by a last devastating attack.

Maybe so. Maybe so. But I'd like to think that this kind of unkillable character would enjoy being like "You know you cannot defeat me. Do my bidding instead." Or something. I think it could work, depending on playstyle.

Talya
2013-12-13, 07:41 PM
Combine the Troll-Blooded feat with something that makes you immune to fire and acid. Find an immunity to death effects and energy drain. You are now basically unkillable, though not undefeatable.

Nettlekid
2013-12-13, 07:45 PM
Combine the Troll-Blooded feat with something that makes you immune to fire and acid. Find an immunity to death effects and energy drain. You are now basically unkillable, though not undefeatable.

I find that the Shriver is better than Troll-Blooded, not just because it doesn't take up a feat, but it also doesn't lock you into being...trollish. Immunity to "death effects" is easy. What's not easy is getting immunity to all Save or Dies, like Implosion, which isn't a death effect.

Talya
2013-12-13, 07:50 PM
the Shriver

It may be. What the hell is it? Can't find a reference to it anywhere.

Nettlekid
2013-12-13, 08:18 PM
It may be. What the hell is it? Can't find a reference to it anywhere.

Did you read my first post, the part about Regeneration? It's a torture machine in Hell, described in Fiendish Codex II. If you manage to take tons of damage, make Will and Fort saves, and then escape, you get lots of powers including Regeneration. The cost of the magical location is 30,000 gold. You have to replenish it every 100 days by doing Lawful or Evil things, but Evil things include murder, which adventurers do tons of.