PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Refluffing a cat companion

Spore
2013-12-13, 01:55 PM
Hi guys,

a pal of mine and I want to introduce characters. Both with a big cat animal companion. Now I have not many ideas on how to refluff the statistics of a big cat towards another quadruped animal. If you know something not feline that meets: claw attacks, rake, large size, quadruped, animal type, then please let me know.

Bonus points if it fits a egyptian vibe, could be another totem animal for a resistance faction (to oppose the reigning pharao, the actual animal is an eagle) and/or is adapted to warm climate. While lizards are fine, my DM frowns upon dinosaurs.

ddude987
2013-12-13, 01:58 PM
It isn't Egyptian, but reflavoring a cat to a kimodo dragon would probably work. If I think of more, I'll post them.

edit: Egyptian made me think hippopotamas (spelling?) but that would not have rake.

Psyren
2013-12-13, 02:02 PM
You could use a Crocodile instead of a cat - that's pretty Egyptian. They get a "death roll" that is sort of like a rake.

Spore
2013-12-13, 02:05 PM
*Hippopotamus :smallsmile:

I have some ideas. My character is a lore oracle so he could know some pretty obscure and rare animals. Canine or marsupial animals should be my best bet for convincing guards that this is just "a very odd breed of dog".
:elan: *Bluff, Bluff the stupid Townsguard*

http://dawnofanewage.wdfiles.com/local--files/cooshee/cooshee.jpg

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs19/f/2007/283/c/3/Beutelwolf_by_bloodhound_omega.jpg

You could use a Crocodile instead of a cat - that's pretty Egyptian. They get a "death roll" that is sort of like a rake.

Equal times awesome and very odd to handle. Where do you keep a live crocodile in cities? I am not sure if stables would allow crocodiles near horses and similar creatures.

Red Fel
2013-12-13, 02:09 PM
I have several questions before I can respond.

1: What is the source of your animal companion? Druid? Ranger? Other source? If it is based on a class feature or other level-related factor, what level are the characters? For example, a 7+ level Druid can take a Lion or Tiger animal companion - what's the relevant level here?

2: Is the priority "make it feline," or "make it Egyptian?" If it's the former, we first have to decide what constitutes "feline." The classic Egyptian felines are basically limited to large versions of the Domestic breeds, or a Sphinx. But if the priority is the latter, we can tweak things a little. For instance, there are many bird-headed Egyptian gods, and a Giant Owl is an easy sell (7th level NG Druid + Exalted Companion). Similarly, if a Druid takes Beast Totem (Krenshar), followed by Totem Companion, at level 7+, you get a Krenshar. Krenshar is moderately feline, and best of all, it can peel its face off in an image you'll see when you close your eyes that will haunt your darkest dreams.

3: Does it need to be an Animal Companion? With Leadership, a Sphinx is just a cohort level adjustment away.

Gavran
2013-12-13, 02:13 PM
How about a jackal? I'd say it's top 5 for iconic Egyptian animals, and while canines aren't really claw fighters there's no reason it couldn't be for your game.

Edit: I missed the large size part. Make it a giant jackal. :P

Greenish
2013-12-13, 02:17 PM
Equal times awesome and very odd to handle. Where do you keep a live crocodile in cities?Sewers, obviously.

Spore
2013-12-13, 02:17 PM
How about a jackal? I'd say it's top 5 for iconic Egyptian animals, and while canines aren't really claw fighters there's no reason it couldn't be for your game.

Edit: I missed the large size part. Make it a giant jackal. :P

Look what you have done...

http://www.sciencephoto.com/image/387105/350wm/Z9320208-Jackal_pups-SPL.jpg

Too cute. (I have second thoughts that the DM shouldn't require me to take the wolf chassis for those).