PDA

View Full Version : Halfling thrower

evyldead
2013-12-13, 02:14 PM
Hi all, How would you make a Halfling character specializes in throwing shurikens. The build would probably go ninja/master thrower. Ninja for the invisble effect of course. but what would be the best weapon enhancements and armor and also the feats i would have to take.

Jormengand
2013-12-13, 02:15 PM
I must ask: Are you allowed to use PF?

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 02:26 PM
Well a friend of mine did a build with a Monk Ninja Master Thrower, though im not sure as to the specifics, though you do throw an absurd amount of shurikens

Jormengand
2013-12-13, 02:29 PM
Well a friend of mine did a build with a Monk Ninja Master Thrower, though im not sure as to the specifics, though you do throw an absurd amount of shurikens

Flurry of Blows allows you to add extra shots to your FRAA, but I'm more concerned with the PF Ninja, who can do the same only with other funky stuff tacked on and no SA reduction for being a monk.

evyldead
2013-12-13, 02:31 PM
DMG 3.5, PHB 3.5, MM 3.5, Complete warrior, complete arcane, complete divine, etc. ... no PF is allowed and yes im looking for the most attacks around and most damage but i dont know exactly how to do it.

Ravens_cry
2013-12-13, 02:31 PM
Aw, here I was hoping for a thread about *throwing* halflings.:smalltongue:

Jormengand
2013-12-13, 02:36 PM
DMG 3.5, PHB 3.5, MM 3.5, Complete warrior, complete arcane, complete divine, etc. ... no PF is allowed and yes im looking for the most attacks around and most damage but i dont know exactly how to do it.

If PF is not allowed, then take a single level of monk for Flurry of Blows, take the full TWF chain and Ninja 19 and deal 80d6 damage with your sneak attack on a full attack. Take sniper-y things and Everything of Greater Invisibility to stay sneak-attacking. Profit.

Your attack bonus needs to be insane, though, because you're taking a -2 for flurrying and a -2 for TWF, not to mention the penalties on iterative/GTWF attacks.

evyldead
2013-12-13, 02:54 PM
If PF is not allowed, then take a single level of monk for Flurry of Blows, take the full TWF chain and Ninja 19 and deal 80d6 damage with your sneak attack on a full attack. Take sniper-y things and Everything of Greater Invisibility to stay sneak-attacking. Profit.

Your attack bonus needs to be insane, though, because you're taking a -2 for flurrying and a -2 for TWF, not to mention the penalties on iterative/GTWF attacks.

Doesn't TWP only apply to mellee weapons?

Jormengand
2013-12-13, 03:03 PM
Doesn't TWP only apply to mellee weapons?

No. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Two-weapon_fighting)

"Thrown Weapons
The same rules apply when you throw a weapon from each hand. Treat a dart or shuriken as a light weapon when used in this manner, and treat a bolas, javelin, net, or sling as a one-handed weapon."

zilonox
2013-12-13, 03:13 PM

The Zen Archery feat would help with that.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 03:14 PM
and decrease MAD considerably

evyldead
2013-12-13, 05:34 PM
So what would the classes be? We have the feats - twp tree line some archery ones.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 05:37 PM
Monk/Ninja/Master Thrower You take Astetic Stalker to get them to stack, im just not sure about how many levels of each

Lord Vukodlak
2013-12-13, 06:34 PM
Anyone else enter this topic thinking it was about throwing halflings?

Ravens_cry
2013-12-13, 06:35 PM
Yep! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16610207&postcount=6):smallbiggrin:

evyldead
2013-12-13, 06:47 PM
Honestly if this master thrower don't work I will make a halving thrower XD

Legendxp
2013-12-13, 07:29 PM
Pff! When I first saw the name of this thread I thought it was about an ogre or something that specialized in throwing halflings at people. :smallbiggrin:

Metahuman1
2013-12-13, 07:34 PM
Drop a Dip of Shiba Protector int there to get Wis to damage.

Slipperychicken
2013-12-13, 07:39 PM
Aw, here I was hoping for a thread about *throwing* halflings.:smalltongue:

Pff! When I first saw the name of this thread I thought it was about an ogre or something that specialized in throwing halflings at people. :smallbiggrin:

I would totally play a character who specialized at throwing his halfling minions comrades at people. Especially if they were armed with utensils like forks and knives to eat enemies for second breakfast.

Bonus points if it's a Bloodstorm Blade who uses them to play Halfling Pinball.

cakellene
2013-12-13, 07:59 PM

Yup, was all prepared to ask what the range increment for halflings was too.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-12-13, 09:07 PM
Yup, was all prepared to ask what the range increment for halflings was too.

Well an improvised thrown weapon has a range increment of 10ft so I suppose you could apply that to a Halfling....

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 09:10 PM
Im pretty sure there was a feat designed for throwing characters smaller than you, I know someone who played a Hulking Hurler that threw a Gnome Reaping Mauler who wore spiked armor at people. Was actually really effective

Rhaegar14
2013-12-13, 09:17 PM
If you're going for precision damage (Sneak Attack), you may want to stay away from Master Thrower; it was in Complete Warrior's errata that Palm Throw doesn't let you apply precision damage twice.

evyldead
2013-12-13, 09:27 PM
i know that im looking for the best optimized build lol like feats... Wel i already have the feats, so the armor and the classes-monk/fighter-ninja-master thrower. Also how would imake every single shuriken come back and not break i know the returning enhancement can do that.

Vhaidara
2013-12-13, 09:30 PM
Im pretty sure there was a feat designed for throwing characters smaller than you, I know someone who played a Hulking Hurler that threw a Gnome Reaping Mauler who wore spiked armor at people. Was actually really effective

Yeah, it's called Fling Ally from Races of Stone. The followup feat is fling enemy, where you grab the goblin and throw it at the ogre. Bonus points if the ogre catches the goblin with his mouth.

As far as actual on topic statements, I second the monk/ninja/master thrower. I kind of like the ideas with MT, especially if you take the tripping throw.

EDIT: Yeah, returning is fantastic. Also means you only need as many shurikens as you can throw in a round.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 09:31 PM
Shurikens dont break as they are thrown weapons, if your DM says they do throw one at him and see if it breaks tell him that a solid metal star is very unlikely to break on contact.

And technically Sudden Strike shouldnt be applied to all the Shurikens thrown, but most people just wave that one as its so very ninja-y and it really doesnt seem to act like a volley attack

evyldead
2013-12-13, 09:45 PM
So level 9 i didnt go monk for the reason of the feats I would need for the build to work i got ninja 5/fighter 2/master thrower 2..... now if i go monk what would be the point ?

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 09:57 PM
a lot more throwing in a round, but you could probably do this build without it

evyldead
2013-12-13, 10:01 PM
How is it more throwing ?

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 10:03 PM
more attacks from flurry of blows

evyldead
2013-12-13, 10:10 PM
If yo use flurry of blows say you only have a +2/+2 then you will only get a 2/2...

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 10:13 PM
yes but you mix it with sudden strike and then your doing more damage, the shurikens are really just a means of getting your sudden strike to the target.

evyldead
2013-12-13, 10:16 PM
but without monk then my attacks would be 5 attacks a round then 2 ...