PDA

View Full Version : I want an Int-based fighter!

Ralcos
2013-12-13, 03:21 PM
As the title, but with the following books allowed:

- Core Rulebooks (PHB, MM1, MM2, and DMG)
- Complete Warrior
- Complete Adventurer
- Complete Mage
- Complete Scoundrel
- Oriental Adventures
- Expanded Psionics Handbook
And others are allowed, assuming I can print them out.

I want a melee-fighting build that has good skills and can use multiple fighting strategies on the battlefield. Basically, a Jack-of-all-trades fighter.
I could do it myself, but I want to see what you guys do.

Build away!

Toliudar
2013-12-13, 03:24 PM
What's your starting level? Any restrictions on race?

Psyren
2013-12-13, 03:24 PM
By "others" do you mean Tome of Battle and Dungeonscape are allowed too?

shadow_archmagi
2013-12-13, 03:25 PM
Seems like we can one-and-done this by just saying Factotum. (She's over in Dungeonscape, as Psyren mentioned)

Ralcos
2013-12-13, 03:26 PM
TOB is not going to be allowed (I asked my group and told them about it. They think it can be overpowered). Factotum is a maybe. I'll need to ask them and read it over.

Starting level is 4, and any race is allowed within that ECL.

limejuicepowder
2013-12-13, 03:27 PM
By "others" do you mean Tome of Battle and Dungeonscape are allowed too?

Yeah, the most straight forward and probably strongest way to do this is factotum 8 warblade 12.

'Sides that...thug fighter variant is alright. A few levels of rogue then some other full bab class is decent.

Seto
2013-12-13, 03:29 PM
Do Roy. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0808.html)

Jormengand
2013-12-13, 03:30 PM
You could do something like what Roy does...

:roy: THAT'S HOW I USE MY INTELLIGENCE SCORE IN COMBAT, DUMBASS!

But then, that would be very situational, and be less build and more tactics.

@^ Or you could be a ninja instead. Or a swordsage, even.

Psyren
2013-12-13, 03:30 PM
TOB is not going to be allowed (I asked my group and told them about it. They think it can be overpowered). Factotum is a maybe. I'll need to ask them and read it over.

Starting level is 4, and any race is allowed within that ECL.

Dang... Well, since Psionics are allowed, your next best bet is going to be a Ranger/Psion/Slayer gish-style build, or Diamond Dragon.

Ralcos
2013-12-13, 03:31 PM
Do Roy. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0808.html)

I could. :smallbiggrin:
Human with Able learner (i have it printed out) could do the trick with that, but class levels are still a crucial factor.

Edit: So Human Factotum/(High BAB Class here) is a good build? Maybe?

sambouchah
2013-12-13, 03:39 PM
Fighter/Swashbuckler with Daring Outlaw is intelligence based. But that's all I got at the moment, sorry:smalltongue:

Grod_The_Giant
Factotum 3/Swashbuckler 3 (grab the Arcane Stunt ACF from CMage to get Blur) /Factotum +17 ought to do ya. Maybe throw in a level or two of Fighter for bonus feats, if need be. Factotum gets you Int to almost everything-- including, most significantly, all Strength and Dex checks, and Swashbuckler 3 lets you add it to damage regularly. Since you're adding Strength and Intelligence to combat maneuvers, you can use them fairly effectively without too much investment. Pick up Knowledge Devotion and Collector of Stories to really help put that Int score to work.

Greenish
Swashbuckler has 4+Int skills and adds Int to damage (with finessable weapons). Daring Outlaw would have almost full BAB, decent skills, and SA.

GameSpawn
My first thought (within those restrictions) is Swashbuckler/Rogue with Daring Outlaw. Swashbuckler 3 gives you int to damage, so it's probably the most direct way to get what you're looking for, and it has full BAB and d10 hit dice. Unfortunately, the class is otherwise underwhelming (although not terrible).

EDIT: Wow, triple ninja'd :smallredface:.

Greenish
2013-12-13, 03:40 PM
My first thought (within those restrictions) is Swashbuckler/Rogue with Daring Outlaw. Swashbuckler 3 gives you int to damage, so it's probably the most direct way to get what you're looking for, and it has full BAB and d10 hit dice. Unfortunately, the class is otherwise underwhelming (although not terrible).Alas, we have been quite swordsage'd.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 03:45 PM
Well Combat Expertise is nice, also Swashbuckler adds Int to damage, though i dont remember the lvl

DeusMortuusEst
2013-12-13, 03:45 PM
Alas, we have been quite swordsage'd.

And all four posts within the same minute as well. Impressive.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 03:47 PM
AACK ive been rogued......... a lot lol

Ralcos
2013-12-13, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the input, guys! I wasn't expecting this much attention, to be honest...

How's this build?: Factotum 5/ Swashbuckler (Arcane Stunt) 3/ Fighter 2
(I usually plan to level 10 anyways).

As a side, not really that important, could anyone suggest any Prestige Classes for this build?

EDIT: Obviously, I'll choose human and get Able Learner, Knowledge Devotion, and Collector of Stories.

Greenish
2013-12-13, 03:54 PM
Moar factotum.

Ralcos
2013-12-13, 03:58 PM
Moar factotum.

Okay then...

Alternate build (?):
Factotum 6 / Swashbuckler (Arcane Stunt) 4

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 03:59 PM
or more fighter, or swashbuckler lol it really depends on your fighting style. TWF go Dervish, us a Bastard Sword, you could grab Ronin and get Sneak Attack. Honestly im just naming PrCs i can think of right now lol

Emperor Tippy
2013-12-13, 04:11 PM
Rogue 1/ Factotum 8/ Invisible Fist Decisive Strike Martial Monk 2/ Swashbuckler 3/ Mindbender 1/ Exemplar 1/ Fighter 4

There you go, take Craven, Darkstalker, Mindsight, Kung Fu Genius, and all of the Font of Inspiration you can cram in.

Combat starts by whacking the guy with a decisive strike and following it up with Cunning Surge until you run out of IP or your enemy dies. Each attack does double damage and with Cunning Insight that is x4 Int, x2 Str, x2 weapon bonus, x2 any other damage sources.

There you go, the Int based fighter. He can also skill monkey and scout/assassinate.

Xerlith
2013-12-13, 04:17 PM
How about, for starters:
Factotum1/Swashbuckler 3/Invisible Fist Decisive Strike Monk 2/Factotum+7

Grey Elf Necropolitan, 1st level feat: Faerie mysteries initiate, 3rd level feat: Kung-Fu Genius.

Feats: Dragon #319, Dragon Compendium v.1

Or grab a straight Human. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: And Tippysaged

Slipperychicken
2013-12-13, 07:27 PM
I want a melee-fighting build that has good skills and can use multiple fighting strategies on the battlefield. Basically, a Jack-of-all-trades fighter.
I could do it myself, but I want to see what you guys do.

Haberdash the Masked (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4758178&postcount=1) would be my first suggestion. You can have a different weapon for each situation, and countless options. Also great skills.

Just in case you missed it from the build; Iaijutsu Focus is a helpful skill. You don't need to slave yourself to it; just use it when you can catch the enemy flatfooted. It's like sneak attack, only slightly harder to pull off.