PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Twilight Sparkle Wizard Build?

171akup
2013-12-13, 04:43 PM
I am making a build based somewhat on Twilight Sparkle. The race will be Gray Elf so I can get the intelligence bonus. I know I'm gonna need to be a wizard but should I use the prestige class archmage. I also need to know where to put the skill points and which familiar to get and also feats and languages. The alignment will match the deity Pelor. So if there is anything you can help me with that would be awesome. :smallbiggrin:

TheCrowing1432
2013-12-13, 05:00 PM
I am making a build based somewhat on Twilight Sparkle. The race will be Gray Elf so I can get the intelligence bonus. I know I'm gonna need to be a wizard but should I use the prestige class archmage. I also need to know where to put the skill points and which familiar to get and also feats and languages. The alignment will match the deity Pelor. So if there is anything you can help me with that would be awesome. :smallbiggrin:

The thing about Twilight is, she has natural magical talent AND she has learned tons of magic.

So shes part Sorceror and Part Wizard.

Her familar would obviously be a dragon, which any sane dm wouldnt let you have, so the next closest thing would be an owl.

Skillpoints would be put into

Spellcraft - Twilight has invented tons of her own spells.
Decipher Script - Her time in the libraries of Canterlot and Ponyville have exposed her to many scrolls and books.
Knowledge (As many as you can) - Twilights knowledge isnt limitied, she knows a thing or two about mostly everything, and anything she doesnt know, a trusty book usually shows her the way.

As far as becoming an archmage, technically since she became an alicorn, she is one.

High Arcana choice: Id suggest either Spell Power, or Spell Like Ability.

Rover
2013-12-13, 05:10 PM
Her familar would obviously be a dragon.

He'd probably be more of a kobold cohort.

In the show she does have this (https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTzTljZiSo4KmMcW-Iv00rh0pv62prOvIg8_DEuzj0hIlBnn2Dxw)

Rubik
2013-12-13, 05:16 PM
I think Twilight works better as a spell-to-power erudite, actually. She doesn't have to wave her (nonexistent) fingers or chant words most of the time; all she does is concentrate hard, and *magic* happens. Maybe the DM would let you take a pseudodragon familiar in lieu of a psicrystal but with the psicrystal progression if you ask nicely, or as mentioned above, you could have a Dragonwrought kobold cohort.

Snowbluff
2013-12-13, 05:24 PM
I concur with sorcerer stuff. Her sorcerer spells are mostly Conjuration [Teleportation] spells and various forms of TK. Her wizard specialization is transmutation. Give her Dimensional Jaunt and Reach. I'd say she's a proper ultimate magus, with the CL advancement favoring Wizard.

gorfnab
2013-12-13, 05:52 PM
Ponyfinder (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/115547/Ponyfinder---Race-Book): MLP for Pathfinder

Uncle Pine
2013-12-13, 06:12 PM
I think Twilight could work well as an Ultimate Magus because she's obviously more bookworm-ish than any average sorcerer AND she doesn't actually prepare most of the spells she casts. I'd second Snowbluff's suggestion about Transmutation spells. Too bad you can't take Abrupt Jaunt because you need the familiar.
Finally, you could take Improved Familiar to get a Pseudodragon familiar (Spike) at 7th level and Extra Familiar (from Dragon #280) to get your owl.

gorfnab
2013-12-14, 12:46 AM
Too bad you can't take Abrupt Jaunt because you need the familiar.
Obtain Familiar feat Complete Arcane.

XmonkTad
2013-12-14, 01:41 AM
I feel like an archivist is a good fit for Twilight. It still has the "lots of books" thing we expect from wizards, but it comes complete with dark knowledge, which we seem to see her use a lot. I feel like paragonostic apostle is a good prestige for her because it grants lore (which works like bardic knowledge).

Crake
2013-12-14, 05:04 AM
I think Twilight works better as a spell-to-power erudite, actually. She doesn't have to wave her (nonexistent) fingers or chant words most of the time; all she does is concentrate hard, and *magic* happens. Maybe the DM would let you take a pseudodragon familiar in lieu of a psicrystal but with the psicrystal progression if you ask nicely, or as mentioned above, you could have a Dragonwrought kobold cohort.

I gotta agree with rubik here, spell to power erudite fits quite nicely, mainly because equestria doesnt use vancian casting at all, so a power pool works better, and also there's no limit to the number of spells a spell to power erudite can learn.

Uncle Pine
2013-12-14, 05:46 AM
Obtain Familiar feat Complete Arcane.

Woops, you're right. I missed that.

An alternative way to get both Spike and an owl that even works for StP erudite is to grab Dragon Cohort (for a pseudodragon) and Leadership (for a giant owl). Granted, the owl you'd get would be a bit bigger than the one in the show and a pseudodragon is definitely less powerful than a Dragonwrought kobold, but it's another option even if suboptimal.

And don't forget to learn Scholar's Touch (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b&page=2)!

Killer Angel
2013-12-14, 05:47 AM
Her familar would obviously be a dragon, which any sane dm wouldnt let you have, so the next closest thing would be an owl.

As already noted, an owl is perfectly supported by MLP canon, BUT, a dragon is feasible. There are pseudodragons (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Pseudodragon), after all.

Waker
2013-12-14, 10:08 AM
The Erudite suggestions are good, as well as the Ultimate Magus, but how about Eldritch Theurge going Wizard/Warlock? The invocations could cover the spells that she frequently uses such as teleport, while the wizard spells can cover the more situational. Alternatively you could see if the DM is willing to adapt the Theurge to allow an Erudite/Warlock entry, simply swapping the "Ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells" with "2nd level powers".
To simulate a cutie mark, you might consider looking over the Dragonmarks from Eberron.
To acquire a Dragon familiar you can use Improved Familiar to get a Pseudodragon or take the Dragon Familiar feat from Draconomicon.

Snowbluff
2013-12-14, 10:28 AM
As already noted, an owl is perfectly supported by MLP canon, BUT, a dragon is feasible. There are pseudodragons (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Pseudodragon), after all.

*ahem* Draconic Familiar.

Telonius
2013-12-14, 12:49 PM
The Dragon/Pseudodragon needs a way to get Sending at-will.