PDA

View Full Version : Lower Magic Setting item problem

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 05:11 PM
The usual problem in a low magic setting is the fact that the Martial Characters cant get their magic items, in the campaign im running they're still low level so this hasnt showed up yet but id still like for them to have magical weapons. Now the setting has it established that there are stones and plants that impede magic, so i thought "well why shouldnt their be stones that contain some magic?" thats when i thought of weapon crystals, they cause various effects on weapons, but they need the weapon to be magical. So the solution i came up with was, first off to offer crystals that simply give a fixed enhancement bonus and secondly to allow weapons to have more than one crystal. Except that that might cause unforeseen problems, anyway this is my idea so far.

Basic mundane weapons have no crystal slot, so they cant have one.
Weapons can be modified to have crystal slots, one slot is the equivalent of a +1 enhancement, 2 slots a +3, and 3 slots a +5. Not that that is simply for prices. Also armor follows this same curve.

So what are the playgrounds thoughts on this, and is it horribly abusably or is it simply a way to give magical items in a low magic setting, as i want?

BowStreetRunner
2013-12-13, 05:48 PM
Instead of increasing the complexity of weapon crystals, I would recommend going with a separate mechanic altogether. This reduces the likelihood of abuse.

I've previously encountered a low-magic setting in which the alchemy skill played a larger role. In this case, they had alchemical infusions that worked like longer duration oils (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/potionsAndOils.htm). You could infuse an object for a number of days per level (instead of minutes per level which was normal for these spells) with effects like Magic Stone, Magic Weapon, Shillelagh, Bless Weapon, Keen Edge, Magic Vestment, etc., but not permanently. By RAW, while the effect is active the weapons or armors would even be eligible for weapon or armor crystals, although those would cease to function properly when the effect wears off.

The alchemy DCs to create these substances was 10 + 5/spell level (so 15, 20, 25 for 1st, 2nd, 3rd level spell effects, respectively). Once created, each infusion took only a few minutes to apply, but then took a full day to 'cure' properly before the effect would become active.

I think these 'replacements' for low-level permanent magic items served their purpose well enough, and did not feel unbalancing in the least.

bekeleven
2013-12-13, 07:12 PM
Martial characters are just inherently badass. This is represented by giving them the benefits of Vow of Poverty (without bonus feats, but also without the standard restrictions).

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 07:15 PM
While im all for making Martials powered by inherent win i think that may be a tad overkill lol

Slipperychicken
2013-12-13, 08:04 PM
Why do you want them to have magic weapons?

One solution could be that magic weapons are something which only the greatest craftsmen can possibly make, and even then they require ludicrous conditions, materials, and even special locations (like a +2 sword could only be made by melting an ingot of rare magic metal with lava and immersing it in ogre blood on a full moon while a 5th level priest chants the correct incantations for 12 hours straight, and then the metal must be made into a Masterwork weapon within the next week or else the magic fades). The requirements would, of course, get more preposterous with the higher effective bonus desired. So if someone has a +4 sword, you know that guy is someone to be feared because of the lengths he had to go through to get that kind of weapon.

Maybe you could have different magic-crystal types give different bonuses and special effects? Like a red hot crystal would make the sword flaming, or a cold blue one would make it a frost weapon.

Of course, you could require that a magic weapon be made entirely out of the material in question, so if you want a flaming sword, you have to find a big enough chunk of red crystal that someone could make the desired blade out of it.

Drachasor
2013-12-13, 08:18 PM
Depends on how you want the low magic to work, but you can devise a system based on WBL to provide automatic ability gains that the player can choose. Basically, they get fake wealth (called something else) that is used to buy inherent magical items (not called that). Essentially you merge magical items into the character. It's pretty quick and dirty, but gets the job done.

You could limit this to AC-boosting, attack-boosting, save-boosting, and then effects that can be fluffed as non-magical.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 09:19 PM
Well they kinda need to have magic weapons to bypass certain creatures DR, also that Ritual idea actually fits the universe i made. People there know about magic, but its just less common, also most people are afraid of it, thank you Sentinels of the All Seeing Eye (this universes Magic Gestapo). I may do "really big crystal" idea for a permanent magic item, i mean it would probably be cheaper than having to go get a few smaller crystals, though it would be harder to find. Also wielding a sword made of flaming crystal is just awesome.