PDA

View Full Version : Need some warlock advice..

Cryov
2013-12-13, 05:15 PM
As usual..I've come across another concern with my warlock due to my DM...
He is really hating on my eldritch glaive and has been giving enemies insane touch ac.
How would I go about hitting things like that a bit easier?
Im at 19 dex, I need more I know but is there anything else?
I am multiclassed so I can get true strike but I think it applies only to the first attack in my eldritch glaive, not all 3.

1 duskblade/4 warlock/1 spellsword/5 abjurant champ/3 hellfire warlock
Advancing warlock the whole way and took Precocious Apprentice to qualify for the prc. I got access to lvl 1 and 2 duskblade spells. I am going Eldritch Theurge for the rest of my levels so I can get more duskblade spells.

Advice towards items/buffs/spells i have access to would be helpful.

Snowbluff
2013-12-13, 05:17 PM
Throw a book at your DM. Preferably one with the actually rule zero in it.

Invisibility should help. Find ways to get your enemies flat footed.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 05:19 PM
Make them flat footed somehow, i believe that the Warlock has a Darkness invocation that he can still see through. Drop that on them and go to town

Cryov
2013-12-13, 05:37 PM
Some of these guys have like 30+ touch and only 2-3 of it comes from dex.
He's been giving them shield ward/Scintillating Scales/and other crazy things just to screw my glaive. :(

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 05:40 PM
Wow, i actually just told my buddy to play a Glaivlock in a campaign im DMing, i knew it was solid thus my suggestion. I recommend not Glaivlocking for a bit, just invocation the crap out of stuff

BowStreetRunner
2013-12-13, 06:03 PM
Start keeping a tally of how many opponents you face who are optimized in this way and how many are not. After at least 10 encounters, go back and look at the actual numbers to see if this is actually a trend or if it just feels that way because we tend to remember the tougher encounters more than the easy ones.

If the DMs is going too far, confront him with the actual numbers and ask him to reign it in a bit.

Greenish
2013-12-13, 06:13 PM
Im at 19 dex, I need more I know but is there anything else?I don't think Eldritch Glaive can be finessed.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-12-13, 06:31 PM
Eldritch Blast is considered a weapon-like spell AFAIK and Weapon Finesse is explicitly stated to work with them (they are treated as light weapons) so arguably Weapon Finesse should work for Eldritch Glaive

Techwarrior
2013-12-13, 06:32 PM
You should be able to. You can finesse weapon-like spells, and that's what Eldritch Glaive is. Is there some ruling somewhere else that won't let you?

Edit: Ninja'ed

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-12-13, 07:02 PM
Eldritch Glaive has reach, so there's no AoO if you sunder their shield with it. Get one of the dispel invocation to deal with buffs like Scintillating Scales, or UMD a Wand of Arcane Turmoil (CM) or get it on an Eternal Wand (MIC).

Get quick-draw or a Wand of Heroics, and buy/make a bunch of marbles from Arms and Equipment Guide. Put a batch of them in a folded square of cloth, and put it on your belt as a weaponlike object. You can quick-draw it as a free action, then drop it in an adjacent square as a free action, and your opponent will be balancing and be flat-footed if they have less than 5 ranks in Balance.

Tommy2255
2013-12-13, 10:16 PM
Get quick-draw or a Wand of Heroics, and buy/make a bunch of marbles from Arms and Equipment Guide. Put a batch of them in a folded square of cloth, and put it on your belt as a weaponlike object. You can quick-draw it as a free action, then drop it in an adjacent square as a free action, and your opponent will be balancing and be flat-footed if they have less than 5 ranks in Balance.

If the enemies are getting spells and buffs specifically to counter Glaive, then they're going to have 5 ranks in Balance as soon as you start using that technique. Besides, Warlocks have, like, a dozen ways to get enemies flat footed, from fog cloud (partial concealment at 5 feet, total concealment at 10, which is perfect for a reach weapon, and you can get blind sense pretty early too) to good old fashion invisibility. It can still be countered, but it takes more than a few skill ranks to do so.