PDA

View Full Version : DM a killjoy? never finishes anything

AdamantlyD20
2013-12-13, 06:26 PM
What do i do about our group's DM. We currently play pathfinder, the players are perfectly fine with playing pathfinder. The DM made us switch to a system called " savage worlds", didn't know all the rules, kept dm fudging numbers and making every attack/ damage roll we made against an enemy fail or not do what the rules dictated should happen. We played that system for two weeks. Now we're back to pathfinder again, have played for 4 weeks, and the DM wants to change systems again. Something called "dungeons the dragoning 40k 7th edition" which is a bastardization of multiple systems. I've read the first 40 pages of the new rules, and i am not willing to change systems because why change a system that the players enjoy? We like pathfinder, and the dm just says " I'm bored, i want to do something different" i told him to let me DM for a while so he can experience being a player or something, maybe he won't be bored. He said no. I don't know what to do with this problem and i can't just " not associate with him" because we're roommates and he's my younger brother by two years. I hate how he can never finish what he starts and he always tells us we'll be able to play up to level 16-20 characters, but always kills off campaigns by level 10-14.

Seffbasilisk
2013-12-13, 06:28 PM
Take over DMing by general consensus. If the players support you GMing, you have control of the group.

I advocate this motion.

In a slightly less serious tone, he's your younger brother? C'mon. Noogies were invented for situations just like this.

pwykersotz
2013-12-13, 07:12 PM
As a GM who sometimes gets hardheaded, don't be unkind but be firm. Tell him that the rules are the medium through which the players and the GM communicate. That you don't have a game if everyone isn't on the same page.

That being said, I understand system boredom. Just let him know that he won't have players if he doesn't stick to Pathfinder. Not as a threat, just because this is about everyone having fun and that's not happening right now.

If he really wants to switch systems and have everyone on board, he'd better spend enough time getting to know it that he can make sound, off the cuff decisions and be prepared to guide players who didn't read the rules well enough.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-13, 07:19 PM
Give him a new setting, that can usually spice things up, but if that doesnt work just shock him a few times :smalltongue:

Anxe
2013-12-13, 10:59 PM
Complain to your mom!

Seriously though, he's your brother. Wouldn't you know better than us how to handle this?

Afgncaap5
2013-12-13, 11:33 PM
Alternately (and this might not be an option depending on the schedule of players) you could start DMing during other times. You wouldn't be taking away from his DMing in his games, just having another play session with the rules that you and the other players enjoy.

(Exercise caution with multiple DMs. We have four or five people who DM in our group, and we currently have something like a dozen different campaigns running, seemingly never nearing completion.)

AdamantlyD20
2013-12-14, 11:42 AM
Another problem is the lack of people we have. Our group consists of 1 DM and 2-3 players. If i DM and the current DM doesn't want to play, that leaves 1-2 players to DM for

Evandar
2013-12-14, 12:00 PM
DMing for two players can be a pleasure though. They tend to develop a lot of camaraderie and get more ploy dedicated to them specifically.

Brookshw
2013-12-14, 12:12 PM
Why is he jumping systems so much in the first place? Gets randomly inspired for a different setting? If so that's pretty easy to fix, world jumping campaigns can be fun. Is it the mechanics he doesn't like? More info please :smallbiggrin:

Ailowynn
2013-12-14, 06:09 PM
The whole "brother" thing does complicate it a bit. I don't know what your relationship is like, but having another player talk to him might help (I know I would be less likely to listen to my older brother than to my best friend).

I get where he's coming from, though. I have a lot of systems I want to try out. A LOT. What I'd suggest to him is this: run weekly one-shots, on the side of a regular campaign (either at an FLGS or with your group). That way, you can have a different system each week. If he also wants some more long-term games, try alternating story arcs, which is something that my group has done to great success. Basically, you play out a story arc of one game, and then switch to the other for one story arc, and then switch back, etc, etc. This lets you try a couple of systems at a time, and also helps immensely to avoid player/GM burnout; by the time you're getting a bit bored of one game, you're about to switch over to the next one.

Also, try shorter campaigns (and just forget about XP). If you level up every session or two, you still end up with the feel of a fairly lengthy, complete story, but it goes a lot quicker and is a lot harder to burn out on, as it stays really fast-paced.

Honest Tiefling
2013-12-14, 06:19 PM
I also recommend one-shots. I seriously suspect that your brother likes the creative aspect, but quickly gets bored running things. Perhaps if you DM and he doesn't throw a fit about it, ask him for campaign setting details or interesting encounters.

Might I ask the general type of area you live in, because usually finding players is easy as pie.

Gestalt, multiple characters or a well run DMNPC (NOT DMPC) can also make a campaign for 2 quite fun if your players are up for it and have compatible styles.

AdamantlyD20
2013-12-14, 09:22 PM
We live near corpus christi tx, it's hard to find players, or I'd play with another group

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-14, 09:27 PM
We live near corpus christi tx, it's hard to find players, or I'd play with another group

ooh, corpus christi, my sympathies. anyway if your brother is unwilling to see a game through it doesn't speak well for his respect of the group when you're all having fun with the game. perhaps explain that the group really wants to finish a game on pathfinder before trying something else?

Dalebert
2013-12-15, 08:54 AM
My current DM seems similar. I'm not quite ready to call him as flaky as that though. So far, his reasons for switching systems seem valid. He started with Dresden Files but said he wanted to run Shadowrun as soon as it came out so we switched as soon as it did. Then he got frustrated with the SR system (It's pretty ridiculous) but also with just running a modern game as it's much harder to improvise, both due to the complex system and just due to being modern.

So now we're playing PF and I think he's going to actually stick with it a while and not have any particular reason to get frustrated. He has Hero Lab and swears that it makes everything much simpler because he can make characters and monsters on the fly. I still worry though because he always seems to be chatting up about different game systems and how they are cool in this way or that way.

Meanwhile, I invest a lot into a character each time I make one, developing elaborate back stories and what-not. Actually sticking with one for a while and seeing some of my long-term plans comes to fruition is what appeals to me. I'm already pre-mourning this character just fretting about him changing his mind again for some new reason!

Another problem is the lack of people we have. Our group consists of 1 DM and 2-3 players. If i DM and the current DM doesn't want to play, that leaves 1-2 players to DM for

We're in the same boat, at least when it comes to people who are reliable and consistent. I sure wish I could find a few more local people who are as addicted to RPGs as I am.

DMing for two players can be a pleasure though. They tend to develop a lot of camaraderie and get more ploy dedicated to them specifically.

What's the trick to that? Is the campaign tailored to simpler adventures in which a couple of PCs can manage or do you have NPCs to fill the gaps or do you go gestault or what?