PDA

View Full Version : How should this spell be ruled? (Updraft, SpC)

cojiro7
2013-12-13, 08:02 PM
Came upon the spell Updraft (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/updraft--4658/), which basically is a swift action lv 1 spell that raises the caster 10' per level into the air on a column of wind, after which they "slowly descend", and can move 5' laterally at any time during that descent.

The ascent and descent are apparently all part of the swift action, so there's no actions in between.

2 questions:
1) If the caster is in a form with natural flight, like the eagle in is scenario, could it choose to not descend as part of the swift action? To me, it would make sense for a column of air to raise a bird up and then not have to descend afterwards.

2) Can a caster limit his caster level for a spell like this--like what happens if in a cavern with a 60' ceiling, a level 12 caster casts this... they bump their head for some arbitrary damage? Or could she choose to only ascend somewhere between 0 and CL*10?

AMFV
2013-12-13, 08:20 PM
Came upon the spell Updraft (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/updraft--4658/), which basically is a swift action lv 1 spell that raises the caster 10' per level into the air on a column of wind, after which they "slowly descend", and can move 5' laterally at any time during that descent.

The ascent and descent are apparently all part of the swift action, so there's no actions in between.

2 questions:
1) If the caster is in a form with natural flight, like the eagle in is scenario, could it choose to not descend as part of the swift action? To me, it would make sense for a column of air to raise a bird up and then not have to descend afterwards.

Nope, you could use your move action to descend afterwards though.

2) Can a caster limit his caster level for a spell like this--like what happens if in a cavern with a 60' ceiling, a level 12 caster casts this... they bump their head for some arbitrary damage? Or could she choose to only ascend somewhere between 0 and CL*10?

Not with the spell as written without using some other method to limit CL.

Edit: Apparently you can lower caster level voluntarily, learn something every day I guess.

Sewercop
2013-12-13, 08:25 PM
From the srd

You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the same caster level.

Since it is a lvl 1 spell, there isnt even a need to look up the old bookmarks for lowering caster level to minimum

Greenish
2013-12-13, 08:27 PM
1) If the caster is in a form with natural flight, like the eagle in is scenario, could it choose to not descend as part of the swift action? To me, it would make sense for a column of air to raise a bird up and then not have to descend afterwards.Well, it's called Updraft. While technically I guess the floating down is compulsory, I doubt many DMs would rule it, had you means to stay afloat.

2) Can a caster limit his caster level for a spell like this-Of course, as normal:
You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the same caster level.

[Edit]: Curses, swordsages.