PDA

View Full Version : Wha? "To succeed, you must make a DC 18 Will save."

unseenmage
2013-12-13, 09:12 PM
How does this line from the Awaken Sand spell in Sandstorm work in situations where a Spell Clock (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070312a) is casting the spell?

To succeed, you must make a DC 18 Will save.

If a Runic Guardian (MM2) is using it's SLA for the spell?

If an Intelligent Magic Item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm) is using using it's ability to activate it's own powers for the spell?

unseenmage
2013-12-14, 04:13 AM
I'm pretty sure the answer is either that the item makes the save or that the save is made when the spell is first cast into the item.

If I were DMing I'd go with the latter but I'd prefer to know where the RAW stands on the issue first.

avr
2013-12-14, 04:49 AM
Magic items have save bonuses of 2 + half their caster level. A spell clock actually casts the spell by the description, so that would be the relevant thing to be making the save here.

The runic guardian will have a save listed. Immunities wouldn't help; the save is to enforce the effect on something else.

Intelligent magic items get to add their wisdom bonus to their saves as well as that listed above.

Crake
2013-12-14, 04:49 AM
if at any point in time an attended item needs to make a will save, it can use either it's own (2+ half caster level) or that of the person attending it. An unattended item needing to make a will save simply uses its own.

avr
2013-12-14, 04:52 AM
I think I ninja'd Crake by a fraction of a second there. His reply was already on the thread when I was returned there after clicking Submit Reply.

unseenmage
2013-12-14, 09:43 PM
I suspect it depends too on which kind of Magic item (for this purpose the Construct would be a Magic Item) one puts the spell into as well.

Casting from a Scroll is different than using a Wand or using a Staff.
And all of those are slightly different than activating a SLA or using a Command Word item.