PDA

View Full Version : Fish?

Ruethgar
2013-12-14, 12:39 AM
So I was looking to make my wild cohort a shapeshifter with Alter Self Spell-Like Investitures. I rolled fine for the wolf to shapeshift 3/day for an hour a day each. I was looking for three main forms, wolf is fine for land, eagle for air, but I was looking for something in the water and have found a lack of fish. I never really noticed if before, but apart from sharks, there are no fish. The nearest I found was Aquatic Escape.

So, are there any fish I could use to shapeshift into apart from sharks?

AMFV
2013-12-14, 12:42 AM
So I was looking to make my animal companion a shapeshifter with Alter Self Spell-Like Investitures. I rolled fine for the wolf to shapeshift 3/day for an hour a day each. I was looking for three main forms, wolf is fine for land, eagle for air, but I was looking for something in the water and have found a lack of fish. I never really noticed if before, but apart from sharks, there are no fish. The nearest I found was Aquatic Escape.

So, are there any fish I could use to shapeshift into apart from sharks?

There are a couple of snakes and octopi in Stormwrack, I think there may also be Dolphins there as well.

Spore
2013-12-14, 12:45 AM
There are a couple of snakes and octopi in Stormwrack, I think there may also be Dolphins there as well.

Octopi are great, as are aquatic mammals (dolphins get blind sense, I think).

nedz
2013-12-14, 12:46 AM
Here is a list — only up to CR 6

Leech, Giant (Storm p154)
Stingray (Storm p168)
Barracuda (Storm p166)
Eel (Storm p166)
Manta Ray (MM p275)
Octopus (MM p276)
Shark, Medium (MM p279)
Squid (MM p281)
Shark, Large (MM p279)
Dinosaur, Cryptoclidus (aka “Fintail”) (MM2 p070)
Dire Eel (Storm p148)
Dire Barracuda (Storm p147)
Shark, Huge (MM p279)

Ruethgar
2013-12-14, 12:51 AM
Guess I need Stormwrack. I was looking for fish specifically, I know the mammals and cephalopods have a decent presence in D&D as well as the aquatic dinosaur and the ever capable snakes.

Palanan
2013-12-14, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by nedz
Here is a list — only up to CR 6

Well, strictly speaking nine of those thirteen are genuinely fish. But I see what you mean--there aren't too many typical fish, like catfish or striper.

Are you just looking for a generic fish, or did you have something more specific in mind? And are you going to be mainly in a marine environment, or is this just for ducking into streams, ponds, rivers, etc.?

nedz
2013-12-14, 12:13 PM
I just listed Aquatic Animals taking that to be a generic fish definition since there is no real definition of Fish.

This means I left off undead fish, fish swarms and I also stayed well clear of those Crabs: because they are vermin.

Ruethgar
2013-12-14, 12:17 PM
Well the character himself has Aspect of the Wolf, Winged Watcher, and Aquatic Escape at will so I was wanting to try and get his wild cohort to mimic those forms.

He is already a wolf. He can't get owl or raven because of size constraints for alter self, but eagle is a better combatant anyway. Then it came to shapeshifting into a fish which had to be created from a toad specifically for the spell. Barracuda works I suppose and isn't that bad, though I think taking the sting ray and giving it a non-venous slam attack instead of a sting would work well enough for a more size appropriate creature.

I was looking for more of a generic fish, diminutive with advancement to large for anything from a goldfish to cod to tuna. It was more for the occasional utility. I don't plan on being in an aquatic environment often, but I do want to have the option to go anywhere.