PDA

View Full Version : Spell-swapping Magic Items?

Jukashi
2007-01-16, 02:11 PM
My selection of books is not large enough to encompass all of space and time, so I wondered if anyone could tell me if there's already a magic item which allows spellcasters to "Swap" their spells.

By that I mean, something like a wand, but without charges; instead, you sacrifice one of your own prepared spells and a different spell comes out.

Mainly I'm interested in it as a means of improving a sorcerer's selection of spells. Something like a bracelet which, if you cast another third-level spell "through" it, such as Fireball, it becomes a Dispel Magic. Is there anything like that? And if not, what should it be like, mechanically speaking?

Divides
2007-01-16, 02:36 PM
My selection of books is not large enough to encompass all of space and time, so I wondered if anyone could tell me if there's already a magic item which allows spellcasters to "Swap" their spells.

By that I mean, something like a wand, but without charges; instead, you sacrifice one of your own prepared spells and a different spell comes out.

Mainly I'm interested in it as a means of improving a sorcerer's selection of spells. Something like a bracelet which, if you cast another third-level spell "through" it, such as Fireball, it becomes a Dispel Magic. Is there anything like that? And if not, what should it be like, mechanically speaking?

I've never heard of an item like that... but I'm with you on limited knowledge and the like.

There is, however, a feat that allows spellcasters to swap out their own spells from a staff without using up the staves charges. That help any?

Draz74
2007-01-16, 04:02 PM
I've never heard of an item like that... but I'm with you on limited knowledge and the like.

There is, however, a feat that allows spellcasters to swap out their own spells from a staff without using up the staves charges. That help any?

Epic, unfortunately; I would be in favor of a non-epic version of it, though, as it's very cool thematically and would be a huge boost to Sorcerers in their struggle to be as cool as Wizards.

HOO
2007-01-16, 04:06 PM
Although I'm not able to find it I can remember something written by Monte Cook. Some kind of Bracers or similar items, very expensive but extremly useful for spellcasters of all kind.

I have no idea about value/balance/limits.
I think I remember taht they had 3 charges per day, swap out a spell of equal level for the bound spell of the item. It's tricky to balance these though. Consider seperating arcane from divine swapping (no arcane heal spells and the like)

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-16, 04:07 PM
I remember a feat that lets a wizard swap out a spell he has spell mastery in for a spell of an equivalent level. I don't remember where it is though sorry.

Douglas
2007-01-16, 05:03 PM
The Extra Spell feat from Complete Arcane gives you one extra spell known. A Knowstone from Dragon magazine gives an extra spell known for the same price as a Pearl of Power (SRD) for the same spell level.

Argent
2007-01-16, 05:39 PM
There was an article in an ancient Dragon magazine containing an item like this. For example, you'd channel any 3rd-level spell into a 'swappable' Fireball wand, and presto! A Fireball. Very neat item that would give spellcasters a lot more flexibility.

Although that was a 1st edition item... I'd love to see how that could be done in 3.5.

Divides
2007-01-16, 10:00 PM
Epic, unfortunately; I would be in favor of a non-epic version of it, though, as it's very cool thematically and would be a huge boost to Sorcerers in their struggle to be as cool as Wizards.

Ironically, I actually feel the same way but in reverse. I normally preffer sorcs (even if they can't get quickened spell without using bizarre splat-book feats)... but spontanious casting for wizards? OH HELL YEAH!!!

:-p.

Fizban
2007-01-16, 10:35 PM
I tried to figure the price of this once, gave up since it wasn't really worth it though. What you do is make a staff with only one charge (so 1/50th base price), and add in the use of the Master Wand/Staff feat. Granting a feat with an item costs anywhere from 10k to 25k according to the Arms and Equipment Guide. Try 20k+1/50th the cost of a staff with the spells you want. That's really not expensive enough though, maybe if you limited it to 4th level spells as the Master Wand feat, and jack up the price a bunch.

Hmm, so let's say 20,000gp rod/gem/whatever handheld item for use of a 4th level or lower spell. How about taking it a step further and making it spell level squared x 2,000gp, but then 1st and 2nd level spells are cheap as heck.

I'm going to end on 4,500gp for a 1st level spell, 9,000gp for a 2nd, 18,000gp for a 3rd, and 36,000gp for a 4th. Thats the limit. It's kinda ridiculuous anyway, since it makes sorcerers even weaker, unless you allow knowstones as well (since they're cheaper, it should even out).

SpiderBrigade
2007-01-16, 10:52 PM
So it's an item that gives a caster the same kind of "spontaneity" that clerics or druids have? And can be made into any spell?

For sorcerors, this is basically what the aforementioned Knowstones do, although it's described differently. But for a sorceror, getting an extra spell known, and being able to convert a spell slot into a different spell is mecahnically the same thing.

For wizards, such an item seems kinda strong, at first blush. I guess it would depend a lot on the pricing. They don't get any more flexibility than they have with scrolls, really, but if these things are cheap it lets the wizard be super-flexible without the Batman-like planning he usually needs.