PDA

View Full Version : Who actually knows Elan and Nale were switched?

Erloas
2007-01-16, 02:58 PM
Ok, this just occured to me during 401. Which members of OOTS actually know that Nale and Elan were switched?

Of course Elan does, and Haley does, and Belkar figured it out.

Would Roy realize since all he knows at this point is he wakes up and the LG (at least the core of them) are tied up in the hall, he doesn't know that they were switched, he would probably just assume that all 3 came at the same time and attacked.

V and Durkon are in just about the same situation. They probably didn't see Haley or Elan from the time they changed for their date to when they were fighting in the room with the LG. For all they know what Elan is wearing now is what he wore for the date and not what he had stolen from escaping prision. They haven't really had much of a chance to talk to Elan or Haley yet, they went from fighting to leaving the two of them along all night to the next morning. Belkar could have told them... except that he was singing show tunes and then gaged for the rest of the time, so he hasn't had the chance. Knowing Belkar was charmed by Nale only tells them that Nale was in the area, which they already found out, it doesn't directly imply that Nale and Elan switched. For all the know Belkar could have ran into Nale outside breaking in.
Given V had to make the choice of which is the real Elan, but that was mostly due to the fact that neither of them were wearing what they normally do and the only other obvious difference, the gotee, was shaved off.

Green Bean
2007-01-16, 03:02 PM
That's very true. Half the party doesn't know how long Nale was actually with them.

Amon Star
2007-01-16, 03:06 PM
Well, :roy:, :durkon: & :vaarsuvius: all have seen :nale: without his goatee. Given how something like that would be central to his self-image, he wouldn't shave it without good reason. As it's unlikely someone else would do so, it must be gone for a VERY good reason. So that would get them thinking.

Also, :nale: did quite a bad job at being :elan:. He probably made quite a few slips that would have been ignored, because they were just :elan: being weird. However, none of the three are idiots. Therefore, it's possible that they would look back on said weird behaviour & put two & two together. Possibly.

Just my 2 cp.

Goofy
2007-01-16, 03:24 PM
Durkon and V could have discussed what happened with Elan and Haley after the fight. Roy's the only one left out and seeing Nale tied up with the rest doesn't cause any reason for them to be unable to discuss it over breakfast.

Swivelguy
2007-01-16, 03:34 PM
Elan said "after I broke out of prison," and Roy's got high Int, so i'm sure he can figure that out.

Erloas
2007-01-16, 03:50 PM
I have no doubt that they can figure it out, the question is, have they yet. All of the same things were said when they first switched places, and every time something wierd happened. But as we have seen, they didn't catch on right away.

Is Roy even going to have noticed that the Nale that is tied up didn't have a gotee? I doubt it, I doubt he even took that much of a look at any of them. Is V going to think Nale shaved off his gotee to switch places with Elan for the last week or is V just going to assume Nale shaved off his gotee so when they attacked this one time people would have a hard time telling them apart and Nale could use his obviously clever abilities to trick people that time. Maybe V might think he was trying to take his place now, and not that he had several days before.

The question is not can they figure out that they were switched, but have they yet figured it out.

fangthane
2007-01-16, 03:54 PM
Roy's intelligent enough to have figured it out by now. Why, you ask? Because he heard Elan talking about breaking out of prison, that's why. His intelligence is certainly good enough to put that together with "Elan's" odd behavior of the past few days, though that behavior on its own wasn't enough to beat the Sense Motive on Nale's disguise.

Durkon is wise enough to figure out that a switch must have occurred based on his observations and based on Elan's new look, and V is intelligent enough to do the same. Only Belkar is really stupid enough and has a low enough wisdom to not notice, and he was tipped off early.

Ephir
2007-01-16, 03:55 PM
V apparently has ... Check HERE! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0397.html)

Green Bean
2007-01-16, 03:59 PM

(S)he knows there was a switch, but does (s)he know how long Elan and Nale have been switched? For all (s)he knows, Nale could have just snuck in, and shaved his beard to try to confuse the rest of the Order.

onasuma
2007-01-16, 04:04 PM
Yeh good point, only half the party know at the moment

Snake-Aes
2007-01-16, 04:10 PM
I'm pretty much sure they don't have any idea yet, and it'll probably(or at least I hope) become our next chapter's ´pun ^^

Brasswatchman
2007-01-16, 04:18 PM
Roy might've figured out at some point that Nale switched with Elan. He might've played coy to it, though, to try and figure out what Nale was up to. Then again, that would mean that Roy left Elan to rot in jail, and I can't see Roy doing that...

... oh, wait. Never mind. I can't see Roy let Elan get executed. If he'd done something to prepare against that, he probably would see the whole thing as a little vacation for himself. Roy may be LG, but he's no fool.

Mad Scientist
2007-01-16, 05:21 PM

:vaarsuvius: obviously knows. And I'm sure (s)he told :durkon:. :haley: figured it out (not too hard). :belkar: discovered that :nale: was with them right before the :nale:'s "date" by scent so if he hasn't figured out that :elan: is also there or hasn't been told by :vaarsurvious: all he has to do is sniff :elan:. That just leaves :roy:. My guess is he knows because of the whole "metagaming" thing or whatever it's called.

Haruki-kun
2007-01-16, 05:33 PM
I don't think :roy: quite figured it out, but I'm pretty sure :vaarsuvius: did. I mean, (s)he is intelligent, isn't (s)he? (Well, that's the point..........) When (s)he noticed Nale was there wth Sabine, had shaven off the goatee, and all of the other factors, I'm sure (s)he noticed something was going on, and figured out the rest later on. Of course, since :vaarsuvius: and :durkon: were together at the time, I'm sure :vaarsuvius: told him.

The real point is that :roy: Had no time to bask in his glory this time!!!!!!!!!
For the first time since I can remember, Roy was completely useless.

...........wow, that's a lot of strips for a single night in the story, huh? Lotta crap happened..............

ampcptlogic
2007-01-16, 05:43 PM
Also remember that V caught "Nale-as-Not-Nale" snogging a "guard" and noticed that his sash was on backwards. She may missed the humor of She-Roy wearing a dress, but she's apt to consider some of Nale's behavior suspicious.

Tmabbbb
2007-01-16, 06:06 PM
I expect everyone to know except Roy. V and Durkon are probably smart enough to figure it out, especially since they've gotten enough information already. Roy, doesn't seem as smart, nor has he gotten any information that there was even much of a fight.

Erloas
2007-01-16, 07:13 PM
As for the fact that Elan says that he got his new clothes after breaking out of prison while Roy is right there, I still think there is a high probability that he didn't even hear that. OOTS are notoriously bad at things like spot and listen checks, Roy is clearly distracted just before that by learning that Haley can speak normally again, and as we all know Roy actively tries not to listen to Elan.

V clearly figured out that Nale was trying to impersonate Elan, but it is not yet clear if V figured that went back to the cliffport incident or if he was just trying to pretend to be Elan right then.

I have a feeling this will show up at least once more.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2007-01-16, 07:42 PM
As for the fact that Elan says that he got his new clothes after breaking out of prison while Roy is right there, I still think there is a high probability that he didn't even hear that. OOTS are notoriously bad at things like spot and listen checks, Roy is clearly distracted just before that by learning that Haley can speak normally again, and as we all know Roy actively tries not to listen to Elan.

V clearly figured out that Nale was trying to impersonate Elan, but it is not yet clear if V figured that went back to the cliffport incident or if he was just trying to pretend to be Elan right then.

I have a feeling this will show up at least once more.

Carrot-top from the Cliffport Watch will probably be following up on all his leads by now. Elan and Thog weren't exactly stealthy. It may be fun for Miko to realize the OotS have broken legitimate laws.

Ganjuu-kun
2007-01-16, 10:21 PM
The only one who DOESN'T know is roy. He was sleeping through the whole thing. Remember, V and Durkon fought too, so they must've found out.

Amon Star
2007-01-17, 09:52 AM
Just thought of something. :vaarsuvius: & :durkon: were told by :elan: that he escaped from Cliffport, here;

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0399.html

They must have figured it out. So, that only leaves :roy: in don't.

Roy may be LG, but he's no fool.

Exactly, :roy:'s not a fool. He wouldn't have let :nale: travel with them if he had known. Or let him know about the Gates.

:mitd: "What Gates?"

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-01-17, 10:44 AM
Screw figuring it out, I'd be very surprised if Elan hadn't simply told them what happened at some point between OotS #400 and #401 - perhaps over breakfast. Let's not forget that he is a bard, a class whose very purpose is to entertain others with their tales of dashing adventure. He's bound to have explained everything.

Not to mention, for most people (V excluded, perhaps) it's one thing to figure something out and another thing to then have that confirmed. I'm sure even if they all could work it out and had already, someone would have asked Elan what exactly happened anyway.

So, the Belkster definitely knows about the switch due to the scent thing, as do Elan and Haley since they were direct victims of it and finally it's a pretty damn safe bet that V and Durkon were told about it. That leaves Roy, who hasn't been told and although he's probably smart enough to figure out by now, has thus far probably been too distracted trying to get back to his home universe to do so. :P

Erloas
2007-01-17, 02:01 PM
Ah, I don't know how I forgot about him telling them in 399... I remembered them talking about what to do with the LG but forgot about his saying why they couldn't bring them back to cliffport.

So I guess that does only leave Roy.