PDA

View Full Version : Defensive stand and flying carpet

MAGNUM
2013-12-14, 09:33 AM
Hi, i read on a forum a tactic where a dwarven defender can use defensive stand on a flying carpet and thereby move while maintaining the stand. Does this actually work?

cakellene
2013-12-14, 09:41 AM
IMO, if he is the one directing movement of carpet no, if he is just a passenger then yes.

Deox
2013-12-14, 12:08 PM
Relevant text:

When he adopts a defensive stance, a defender gains phenomenal strength and durability, but he cannot move from the spot he is defending.

This seems that any movement would end the stance.

XionUnborn01
2013-12-14, 12:23 PM
I could see the interpretation for either side but honestly, I don't see why it's a problem because melee needs nice things.

When it says "cannot move from the spot he's defending." I guess I see that as him moving his legs/flapping his wings/jumping and that sort of thing. Maybe he's defending the magic carpet and that's the spot?

herrhauptmann
2013-12-14, 02:18 PM
I personally think it should work. Melee CAN have nice things. And it's not like allowing the DD to do this will make it overpowered.

He's not really moving beyond the slight foot shuffle and weight shift needed to fight.

MAGNUM
2013-12-14, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the answers. Our DM is sceptical to this strategy, but at least I see there are a lot of different opinions on the matter.

WbtE
2013-12-14, 04:44 PM
This seems that any movement would end the stance.

Wouldn't that mean that the rotation of the planet he's standing on ends the stance? :smallwink:

herrhauptmann
2013-12-14, 06:24 PM
Wouldn't that mean that the rotation of the planet he's standing on ends the stance? :smallwink:

Geocentric yo!
No tectonics plates either, quakes are the gods getting pissy.

WbtE
2013-12-14, 06:35 PM
Geocentric yo!
No tectonics plates either, quakes are the gods getting pissy.

Maybe. :smallsmile: I think it's a problem with the class ability if it has such far-reaching implications about the campaign world.

There are other edge cases, too. Can the Defender use his stance on a ship? On a floating island? When thinking about the flavour, I'd say that the stance requires him to firmly plant his feet. The reason a flying carpet might not be suitable has more to do with its flexibility than its movement, but for a fairly weak ability like this it's no problem to allow the combination.