PDA

View Full Version : Curse of the Golden Flower - don't miss out!

storybookknight
2007-01-16, 03:21 PM
I'm not awed by movies frequently; it's one thing to enjoy a film but wholly another to be completely blown away by it. Curse of the Golden Flower isn't even necessarily a film whose primary purpose is for you to enjoy it, although that certainly winds up happening.

What it is is an absolutely beautiful work of filmography, by the same director who did Hero and House of Flying Daggers. The use of color is absurdly wonderful, and the sheer size and majesty of the imperial palace was something I couldn't belive was possible with modern movies.

While technically, I suppose it's a wuxia film, it's not a martial arts epic where the purpose is to showcase the craziest stunts possible. While martial arts occurs, and it is a fantasy inspired sort of martial art, the surreality instead just contributes to the overall "larger than life" aspect of the film. It's labeled as a "romance", but I would instead classify this as a superbly well-done tragedy...

IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU SEE THIS FILM ON THE BIG SCREEN. I don't care if you have an 80' hi-def TV screen, it still will not compare to the authentic theater experience. I strongly recommend it to ... well, anyone who enjoys movies, and who doesn't mind not having a happy ending - as so many chinese films seem to end. It is what it is, a chinese folktale told in movie form, but it's one of the most beautiful things I've seen in recent memory.

Has anyone else seen it? Did you feel the same?

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-01-16, 03:37 PM
The film only had a limited release in the US (on Dec 21st). So, basically unless you live in NY or LA, you're not going to be able to see it.

WampaX
2007-01-16, 03:43 PM
The film only had a limited release in the US (on Dec 21st). So, basically unless you live in NY or LA, you're not going to be able to see it.

Its distribution was upped.
I can now see it in Atlanta.

2007-01-16, 04:12 PM
Atlanta could have been one of the spots that they decided on for the limited release besides LA and NY. movietickets.com doesn't even have the movie listed. So my guess is that unless you've got a theatre that shows indy films, most people aren't likely going to be able to see it. Although upon looking I have found a few theatres here in the twin cities that are showing it. But they are few and far between.

WampaX
2007-01-16, 04:26 PM
Atlanta could have been one of the spots that they decided on for the limited release besides LA and NY. movietickets.com doesn't even have the movie listed. So my guess is that unless you've got a theatre that shows indy films, most people aren't likely going to be able to see it. Although upon looking I have found a few theatres here in the twin cities that are showing it. But they are few and far between.

Just check your local listings, folks.
I mean the IMDb has showings listed for all across the US, now.

The NY, LA thing was for Oscar Noms.

2007-01-16, 08:13 PM
yeah, looks that way now. My guess is was actually originally a limited release, but since it was so well liked, that the distributors decided to make it nationwide, seeing as the movie had basically no advertising what so ever.

Amotis
2007-01-16, 08:14 PM
I loved both movies so this should be good. Onward to da theaters!

Druid
2007-01-16, 08:20 PM
Cube, if you can find them I'd check listing for the Lagoon theatre. If anyone inthe area has it it would probably be them.

2007-01-16, 08:21 PM
oh, I already found it Druid. it's playing at the lagoon, the Regal in Eagan, EP AMC and one other.

Artemician
2007-01-19, 06:26 AM
You know, i never really liked Curse that much.

Zhang Yimou has been making film after film to try to achieve the Oscar he got for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. And so far, I don't think he has even come close.
House of Flying Daggers and Curse.. well... they're very pretty and all, but there's no substance beneath the veneer. The plot sucks, the action sequences are lame, and the only redeeming point is the scenery. For such an accomplished, director, i really find myself questioning his judgement sometimes.

Wonderbras? 6000 Royal Guards revolting against their King? Jay Chou? A pop song to conclude the movie after 6000 men have just been massacred? It's just really crazy sometimes.

Don't watch it just because it's in Chinese. A bad movie is a bad movie, regardless of whatever language it's shot in.

ReluctantDragon
2007-01-19, 07:07 AM
I have to say that I enjoyed it. I have enjoyed his previous films as well, but it didn't blow me away. I would say that if you liked House of Flying Daggers and Hero, then you would like this.

storybookknight
2007-01-19, 10:52 AM
You know, i never really liked Curse that much.

Zhang Yimou has been making film after film to try to achieve the Oscar he got for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. And so far, I don't think he has even come close.
House of Flying Daggers and Curse.. well... they're very pretty and all, but there's no substance beneath the veneer. The plot sucks, the action sequences are lame, and the only redeeming point is the scenery. For such an accomplished, director, i really find myself questioning his judgement sometimes.

Wonderbras? 6000 Royal Guards revolting against their King? Jay Chou? A pop song to conclude the movie after 6000 men have just been massacred? It's just really crazy sometimes.

Don't watch it just because it's in Chinese. A bad movie is a bad movie, regardless of whatever language it's shot in.

It wasn't an action movie... even less of one than House of Flying Daggers, even... heck, I think it's officially billed as a "romance", because they had no idea what to classify it under and that comes sort of close.

The plot is fairly oriental, complex, and not immediately accessible - it isn't spoonfed the way some american movies can be. I should mention that while it's received pretty mixed attention here, it's been showing in China for months, and has received a lot of critical acclaim... I don't think it's fair to say that he's looking for an Oscar because he isn't pandering to an american audience with this film.

There are a lot of cultural translations, I think, that have to be considered in addition to just the language translations, and if you don't have the practice in doing that it's easy to see how the movie might not be your taste... it probably didn't help that you were expecting a kung-fu flick. That sort of stuff goes over well here, but not all chinese movies are about martial arts... this is really more of a folktale retelling and character drama with martial arts (deliberately stylized and unrealistic) in the action scenes, as a british folktale might have swordfights.