PDA

View Full Version : Items that improve natural attacks

Ragnorrok
2013-12-14, 01:48 PM
What would be some fairly affordable magical items that would assist a psywar building natural attacks with claws and bite.

cakellene
2013-12-14, 01:53 PM
Amulet of Natural Attacks.

Urpriest
2013-12-14, 01:56 PM
Amulet of Natural Attacks.

Necklace, actually. But yes.

Are you using Claws of the Beast? You know you can't use other weapons when you use that, including bites, right? Or are you using Beast Strike or a similar trick?

Anyway, mostly the same items that improve weapon-based melee improve natural weapon based melee. Strength boosts, etc.

jaydubs
2013-12-14, 02:11 PM
Dragon magazine 334 has claw extenders, which might help. They can be made masterwork and then made into magic weapons.

Language is about use by animals though, so it's open to interpretation how/if it would work with non-animals.

Coidzor
2013-12-14, 03:13 PM
Enchanting Natural Weapons
"You're the one who oughtta be shakin' 'cause I'm about to carve you up into sushi."

The Amulet of Mighty Fists is three times as expensive as it should be, so it is only worthwhile if you have 3 or more natural weapons. The Necklace of Natural Weapons from Savage Species is cheaper to enchant and offers more options than just enhancement bonuses, but only applies to one natural weapon unless you pay a straight multiplier. The break even point between the two is at 3 weapons or more when the AoMF becomes cheaper. The NoNA does have the advantage of allowing +equivalent enhancements (like Wounding) and can reach a +10 total enhancement like a manufactured weapon, which the AoMF does not offer, if you are willing to pay the extra cash.

The Fanged Ring (Dragon Magic) grants INA and deals 1 Con damage on a critical hit, which is a pretty useful property to have. Only costs 10,000 gp.

The Ring of Adamant Touch (MIC) makes all your weapons overcome DR as if they were Adamantine for 6,000 gp.

Bracers of the Arcane (MIC) allow you to overcome DR silver and magic.

Jaws of the Dragon (Draconomicon) grants a bite attack as a creature one size larger for 40,000 gp.

Wyrmfang Amulet from the MIC is 1350 vs the 2500 for the one in Draconomicon.

Bands of Blood Rage from the MIC will boost all of your natural attacks for 2600 gp.

The Ghost Shroud from the MiC costs 5,000 gp and will grant you a +1 deflection bonus to AC and give your attacks the Ghost Touch property, allowing you to bust ghosts.

The best method for enchanting is probably the Kensai, which can enchant all of its natural weapons for XP. It’s not even a bad class for melee types. Failing that, if you're a Druid or have access to a Druid, casting Superior Magic Fang will give an enhancement bonus to all of your natural weapons.

So there's a bit of a start.

Dragon magazine 334 has claw extenders, which might help. They can be made masterwork and then made into magic weapons.

Language is about use by animals though, so it's open to interpretation how/if it would work with non-animals.

Ah, thank you for the reminder. I meant to look into those...

danzibr
2013-12-14, 06:59 PM
I have a post on gear relating to natural weapons in my handbook [/shameless plug]. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15401508&postcount=8) it is.

However, I've never found "Bracers of the Arcane."

Ragnorrok
2013-12-14, 07:50 PM
I coulda sworn you could use the bite along with the claws. You know, since the claws together count as a primary natural attack then I can use the bite as a secondary natural attack.

danzibr
2013-12-14, 07:54 PM
I coulda sworn you could use the bite along with the claws. You know, since the claws together count as a primary natural attack then I can use the bite as a secondary natural attack.
Yes, you can always do this unless the specific entry states otherwise (e.g., Wormtail Belt).

Eldariel
2013-12-14, 07:57 PM
Necklace, actually. But yes.

Are you using Claws of the Beast? You know you can't use other weapons when you use that, including bites, right? Or are you using Beast Strike or a similar trick?

Doesn't that only apply until you get Form of Doom? It has this clause: "for instance, you can’t be metamorphed or polymorphed into another form, though you can use claws of the beast, and bite of the wolf in conjunction with this power for your regular attacks" Also, I think you could make a technicality for it not stopping you making attacks with other natural weapons after your Claws; it just says you can't use claws if you attack with manufactured weapons or natural weapons, nothing about not being able to attack with natural weapons after using Claws.

Ragnorrok
2013-12-14, 08:08 PM
I'm sure any reasonable DM would allow a bite after the claws. Another question though, would you say that the claws with the bite together count as three natural weapons or two to apply for the Multiattack feat

Urpriest
2013-12-14, 10:59 PM
Doesn't that only apply until you get Form of Doom? It has this clause: "for instance, you can’t be metamorphed or polymorphed into another form, though you can use claws of the beast, and bite of the wolf in conjunction with this power for your regular attacks" Also, I think you could make a technicality for it not stopping you making attacks with other natural weapons after your Claws; it just says you can't use claws if you attack with manufactured weapons or natural weapons, nothing about not being able to attack with natural weapons after using Claws.

That would probably be a specific beats general thing, sure. The technicality doesn't work, since attacks have an order fixed by their attack bonus.

I'm sure any reasonable DM would allow a bite after the claws. Another question though, would you say that the claws with the bite together count as three natural weapons or two to apply for the Multiattack feat

The power Claws of the Beast explicitly says you can't use other natural attacks in a round where you . There is literally no way of misreading that. The only DMs that would allow you to use both together are DMs who haven't read the power carefully enough.

They do count as three, however. There are lots of monsters that have Multiattack and have that exact combination.

Ragnorrok
2013-12-14, 11:14 PM
yeah it says i can't use claws in a round where I used another attack but it doesn't say I can't use it before i don't make any other attacks, then use another attack. It only says I can't use the claws themselves in a round that I made an attack so technically I should be able to make other attacks afterwards.

Vash9177
2013-12-15, 03:33 AM
Page 49 of Savage Species has an item name Beast Claws that gives bonus claw damage.

Eldariel
2013-12-15, 05:39 AM
That would probably be a specific beats general thing, sure. The technicality doesn't work, since attacks have an order fixed by their attack bonus.

But Claws are primary anyways while other natural attacks are secondary so wouldn't that be the order they'd take by default anyways?

Urpriest
2013-12-15, 09:18 AM
But Claws are primary anyways while other natural attacks are secondary so wouldn't that be the order they'd take by default anyways?

Yes, that's true. That said,

yeah it says i can't use claws in a round where I used another attack but it doesn't say I can't use it before i don't make any other attacks, then use another attack. It only says I can't use the claws themselves in a round that I made an attack so technically I should be able to make other attacks afterwards.

Dude, you can't make both a "any reasonable DM would allow" argument and a "I can make a RAW technicality that obviously ignores RAI" argument. Pick your OP level, please.