PDA

View Full Version : Flying whales help

12owlbears
2013-12-14, 02:15 PM
In the next game I'm GMing one of my players wants to players wants to be a paladin that rides a flying killer whale. It sounds awesome but I don't know how to justify it mechanically. Is their a wings template for creatures, is their a flying whale like monster that I could just re skin to be a flying killer whale, could I add a feathered wings graft to a paladin mount? I could just house rule flying whales into the setting and make up my own stats for them but I prefer to stay some what close to what the books says

Kuulvheysoon
2013-12-14, 02:18 PM
There's a Winged template in Savage Species.

Blackhawk748
2013-12-14, 03:11 PM
A&EG has the Soarwhale, its absurdly expensive, though it is a Blimp

hymer
2013-12-14, 03:20 PM
There's a Winged template in Savage Species.

It'd leave the whale with a fly speed of 20', so may not be a good choice, though. :smallsmile:

Averis Vol
2013-12-14, 03:24 PM
In the next game I'm GMing one of my players wants to players wants to be a paladin that rides a flying killer whale. It sounds awesome but I don't know how to justify it mechanically. Is their a wings template for creatures, is their a flying whale like monster that I could just re skin to be a flying killer whale, could I add a feathered wings graft to a paladin mount? I could just house rule flying whales into the setting and make up my own stats for them but I prefer to stay some what close to what the books says

Gonna second Kuulvhaysoon and say yea, as the DM you just have to tell him that he has to make a large paladin. Then when he calls his mount for the first time he hears "oooooooeeeeeeoooooouuuuuuuu..." And out pops the celestial winged orca. Paladin mounts are determined by the dm anyways, so just say that's what pops out, unless you want to make him wait a bit (the base orca has 9 HD)

Tvtyrant
2013-12-14, 05:14 PM
I use the Half-Dragon template myself. Gives you an explanation for how it works and started, and gives them access to the reinforced wing feats to carry more.

Angelalex242
2013-12-14, 05:47 PM
SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN! (Final Fantasy X)

No, your Paladin's flying whale cannot shoot Giga Gravitons that nuke cities for fun and profit. Nor can it have scales and spawn that create monsters of random CRs all over the place.

Silva Stormrage
2013-12-14, 05:49 PM
A&EG has the Soarwhale, its absurdly expensive, though it is a Blimp

I second the soar whale. Its HILARIOUS, I had a thrallherd keep all of his believers and thrall on a soar whale and use it as a mobile artillery blimp. It was pretty awesome.

WbtE
2013-12-14, 06:09 PM

I'm trying to restrain my enthusiasm. :smallsmile:

You probably shouldn't let him have a flying killer whale when he first summons the thing. Overland flight is a fairly powerful ability, especially when it would logically affect the whole party when necessary. If it was my campaign, I would let the paladin summon an immature flying killer whale, with fewer hit dice than expected (9HD total, including Paladin bonus) and limit the creature to hovering over the surface of solid ground (effectively ground movement). The increased size and fly speed could be brought in at higher levels, perhaps as early as 8th and in the place of increased speed.

And yes, homebrew the thing. Wings on a whale are silly, its flight is an awesome Extraordinary ability. :smallbiggrin:

Kuulvheysoon
2013-12-14, 06:33 PM
It'd leave the whale with a fly speed of 20', so may not be a good choice, though. :smallsmile:

Improved Flight feat (+30 to flight speed)?

Metahuman1
2013-12-14, 09:44 PM
All I can think of is one of the better scene's in Fantasia 2000

hymer
2013-12-15, 02:48 PM
Improved Flight feat (+30 to flight speed)?

I thought Improved Flight improved you maneouvrability class? But if it's +30' flight speed, it sounds like a fair flight speed.

Greenish
2013-12-15, 03:02 PM
I thought Improved Flight improved you maneouvrability class? But if it's +30' flight speed, it sounds like a fair flight speed.He's probably thinking Air Heritage.

hymer
2013-12-15, 03:20 PM
Sounds more like it. :smallsmile: Well, that's limited to a bonus of up to your normal flight speed, though. A flight speed of 40' is kinda lacklustre. It would, bizarrely, have perfect flight, though.

Darrin
2013-12-15, 04:56 PM
All I can think of is one of the better scene's in Fantasia 2000

Blackstar episode 10: Air Whales of Anchar (m.youtube.com/watch?v=gVpqCp3e1BU&fulldescription=1&hl=en&client=mv-google&guid=&gl=US)

Kuulvheysoon
2013-12-15, 06:00 PM
He's probably thinking Air Heritage.

That's the one. I always get those two mixed up. Thanks.

unseenmage
2013-12-15, 06:16 PM
Blackstar episode 10: Air Whales of Anchar (m.youtube.com/watch?v=gVpqCp3e1BU&fulldescription=1&hl=en&client=mv-google&guid=&gl=US)

Ow ow ow ow ow, the smart making bits of my brain hurt now.
That was so bad... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1L1lj3XuK8)

Isn't there an Air Elemental Creature Template somewhere that would give a whale a SU fly speed?

JeminiZero
2013-12-15, 08:09 PM
Am I the only person who thought of this when Flying Whale was mentioned?
http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy113/todocreations/fail-whale.png

One common fix for the tarrasque to give it flight was to take the Dragontouched, Dragon Wings, and Improved Dragon Wings feat (and one flaw since both Dragontouched and Dragon Wings have to be taken at level 1). But Dragontouched required cha 11 which the average Orca does not have.

An alternative is to apply the Draconic Template [Races of Dragon 74] first to give the Dragonblood subtype, and then spend two feats for Dragon Wings and Improved Dragon Wings. At LA+1, this is cheaper than either half dragon or winged template.

Threadnaught
2013-12-15, 08:13 PM
Isn't there an Air Elemental Creature Template somewhere that would give a whale a SU fly speed?

Air Creature, Manual of the Planes. It swims through the air.