PDA

View Full Version : some feats for a warlock?

Demonikus Aber
2013-12-14, 02:21 PM
I can't find any good feats besides extra invocation. I was wondering if anyone out there knew some good feats for a ranged warlock.

herrhauptmann
2013-12-14, 02:27 PM
Extend SLA? (the one that doubles your range)
Quicken SLA?
Eldritch Claws? With that you can be ranged, and go melee when someone gets close to you; getting your full EB damage.

malonkey1
2013-12-14, 02:32 PM
Quicken Spell-Like Ability, Empower Spell-Like Ability, and Maximize Spell-like ability are three good feats to apply to your Eldritch Blast. Weapon Focus (Ray) and related feat, Spell Penetration, and I believe Metmagics can be used with Invocations, but only if they don't modify the level (e.g. Sanctum Spell). Additionally, anything that pumps your AC can be valuable. If you run with Intimidate, Imperious Command might be a useful feat for softening enemies up for your Invocations, and it plays off the Charisma focus of the class.

You should also look at ThiagoMartell's Warlock Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252715). It's fairly comprehensive.

XmonkTad
2013-12-14, 02:46 PM
Depends on warlock level and PrC requirements. Higher level warlocks benefit a lot from Quicken Spell like, while lower level locks like extra invocation (especially if it can be retrained).

Snowbluff
2013-12-14, 03:27 PM
You should also look at ThiagoMartell's Warlock Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252715). It's fairly comprehensive.

Yeah, it got stabbed. I revived it.

Anywho, it has recently come to my attention Invisible Spell might be applicable to your invocations. Have fun with that. :smalltongue:

ShurikVch
2013-12-14, 03:38 PM
Ability Focus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#abilityFocus) (Eldritch blast)

Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance)

If going to melee, maybe Eldritch Claws?

jedipilot24
2013-12-14, 03:41 PM
The Fey Heritage feats from Complete Mage.

Particle_Man
2013-12-14, 03:43 PM
I kinda like the PB Shot + Precise Shot + Improved Precise Shot. You can aim your EB into a grapple, etc.

If you like the themes, there is a nice collection of fey heritage or fiendish heritage feats in Complete Mage.

At least one craft feat (I like Craft Wondrous Item because you can make your warlock chasuble before level 12th as you meet the other prerequisites).

Feralventas
2013-12-14, 04:14 PM
If allowed access to PF, I've found I like using Vital Strike warlocks for blasting/glaivelocks to double their eldritch blast into a single attack at full BAB.

ShurikVch
2013-12-14, 04:24 PM
Good or Evil?

If Evil, and BoVD allowed, then Corrupt Spell-Like Ability and Violate Spell-Like Ability

If Good, and BoED allowed, then Consecrate Spell-Like Ability and Purify Spell-like Ability

mabriss lethe
2013-12-14, 04:41 PM
Seconding the Fey Heritage tree. I played a feylock once and every single FH feat wound up being useful. Fey skin and power are obvious, since they stack with warlock levels, but Presence and Legacy are also very useful, since they grant you some SLAs that can really round out a warlock and they grant increased bonus to the DR granted by Fey Skin.

Lord Haart
2013-12-14, 05:12 PM
Don't forget your Mortalbane.

Eldaran
2013-12-14, 05:40 PM
If allowed access to PF, I've found I like using Vital Strike warlocks for blasting/glaivelocks to double their eldritch blast into a single attack at full BAB.

This doesn't work. Vital Strike is a standard action attack, Eldritch Blast is its own standard action. Eldritch Glaive is a full round action, so the only way to use it would be getting a bonus standard action such as from Cunning Surge or a hero point.

MeeposFire
2013-12-14, 08:04 PM
This doesn't work. Vital Strike is a standard action attack, Eldritch Blast is its own standard action. Eldritch Glaive is a full round action, so the only way to use it would be getting a bonus standard action such as from Cunning Surge or a hero point.

More importantly it is an attack action which lends itself to some unusual circumstances.

Oddly this means that vital strike would work with 3.5 spring attack but not PF spring attack.

Of course none of this really matters to the warlock. Though I think it fails in another area as doesn't the feat say that it roll a weapon's damage dice twice? Even when using eldritch glaive it does not turn into a weapon so if it says weapon damage it does not work with either of those.

lol I find it so humorous that Dragon Mag content is pushed here when it used to be nearly untouchable (as in untouchably bad) on the old 3.5 forums that it would be never seen or thrown out if it was. Funny how time changes things. Granted if you want to go melee lock claws are really the only good choice you have as glaive has a lot of issues if you look deeply into the rules.

Particle_Man
2013-12-15, 04:43 PM
Granted if you want to go melee lock claws are really the only good choice you have as glaive has a lot of issues if you look deeply into the rules.

Beware, for when you look too deeply into the rules, the rules look back at you.:smallsmile: