PDA

View Full Version : Magic of Incarnum Feats

Sjlver
2013-12-14, 04:52 PM
Looking through some of my old builds, I noticed that some of them had Cobalt Power and Cobalt Rage as feats even though they were not classes that utilized essentia (instead, they got it from their race). This got me thinking about how to make these feats alittle more worth while because in my opinion, a +1 to damage on a power attack or a +1 to bull rush, sunder, and overrun is not all that great for a feat. Thoughts?

Prime32
2013-12-14, 05:48 PM
For one thing, remove the "your essentia is locked in for 24 hours" bit - nothing else in incarnum works like that, and it just gets in the way.

Remove the feat prereqs from Cobalt Power and Cobalt Precision, and let them count as Power Attack/Point Blank Shot for prereqs. Likewise let Cerulean Fortitude/Reflexes/Will count as Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes and Iron Will respectively, and Sapphire Sprint count as Endurance.

KillianHawkeye
2013-12-14, 06:15 PM
For one thing, remove the "your essentia is locked in for 24 hours" bit - nothing else in incarnum works like that, and it just gets in the way.

Remove the feat prereqs from Cobalt Power and Cobalt Precision, and let them count as Power Attack/Point Blank Shot for prereqs. Likewise let Cerulean Fortitude/Reflexes/Will count as Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes and Iron Will respectively, and Sapphire Sprint count as Endurance.

These are all excellent suggestions. :smallsmile:

Waker
2013-12-15, 02:45 AM

That did always strike me as odd how every other soulmeld, class feature and racial trait allowed free shifting of essentia and the feats had to be special snowflakes. I suspect that they are a leftover from an earlier form of essentia management that they forget to update before printing.
And that idea is also an excellent choice, since their is already precedence with Midnight Dodge counting as Dodge.

If you were to change anything else about the feats, you might consider taking a note from the Open Chakra feats and adding some small benefit when a soulmeld is bound to a certain Chakra. Say you get a reduction on Miss Chance when a meld is bound to your Brow if you happen to have Cobalt Precision as an example.

Psyren
2013-12-15, 08:27 AM

Is there a dodge feat too? That one should count as Dodge for prereqs.

And Azure Talent should have no prereqs and count as Wild Talent.

Waker
2013-12-15, 08:32 AM
Is there a dodge feat too? That one should count as Dodge for prereqs.

And Azure Talent should have no prereqs and count as Wild Talent.

Midnight Dodge already counts as Dodge for prereqs.

Sjlver
2013-12-16, 01:12 PM
So are there any suggested build ideas for a melee combatant using these feats (either modified or normally)?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-12-16, 01:56 PM
Sapphire Smite is pretty good on most characters who already have essentia and have multiple smiting pools (like a Killoren Paladin, for example).

The Insaniac
2013-12-16, 04:39 PM
I would say that some of the feats really should be limited to 1/day investment. Specifically, midnight metamagic and midnight augmentation. Those two feats would be utterly broken if you could reinvest essentia into them.