PDA

View Full Version : Reducing size of Shifters

Grim Reader
2013-12-14, 06:19 PM
I'm considering a setting-based change to shifters, making them small. How much of an adjustment do you think I should make to compensate? And what kind? Any ideas?

Autopsibiofeeder
2013-12-14, 06:25 PM
I'm considering a setting-based change to shifters, making them small. How much of an adjustment do you think I should make to compensate? And what kind? Any ideas?

If you really want to do that: Small size implies a -2 to Str. I'd compensate that with a +2 to Wis, given their tendency to gravitate towards druids, rangers and barbarians. Otherwise I would not change anything. The -2 to Str is nasty for the heavy melee flavour they have (in my opinion), but +2 to Wis would make them a uniquely interesting race for a number of classes (+2 Wis races are very rare at LA +0).

Grayson01
2013-12-14, 06:49 PM
May I ask why you wanna change them to Small?

Grim Reader
2013-12-14, 07:58 PM
+2 Wis is an interesting option.

Basically, Im doing it for worldbuilding reasons. I'm including the Shifters as a low-tech culture in things like metalworking, shipbuilding etc, that uses a lot of domestications instead.

Small size means a lot more potential mounts, and the notion grew on me. Possiby reflavor them to be less lycantrophic and more based on animal totem spirits. Or a combination. Spirit-based religion with Spirit Shamans as the elders and religous leaders.

Anxe
2013-12-14, 08:10 PM
You'd want to reduce speed to 20' as well. And with the domestications focus, a +2 on Handle Animal wouldn't hurt.

That seems fine balance wise. I'm also curious how this would work with their usual fierce animal attitude, but if you reflavor it into various animal totems that'd be really cool as well.

Grim Reader
2013-12-14, 08:33 PM
I'm in the early stages yet, but I've been thinking the equivalent of +2 cha to other shifters with the same totem. Shifters are not offensive, but rely on social cues that are mostly apparent ot others with the same totem, and have miss some social clues from outside their totem. It is a small enough bonus not to warrant any penalty.

Also, shifters sharing the same totem being spread out among tribes mean tribes fight each other less than other tribal societies. Not doesn't fight each other, but a bit less.

Children talking of which totem they'll take when they become adults, but the totem choses you, not the other way around.

Urpriest
2013-12-14, 11:03 PM
Aren't the Saurian Shifters already Small? Or am I misremembering?

cakellene
2013-12-14, 11:04 PM
Don't forget the boost to Dex.

Greenish
2013-12-15, 05:03 AM
Shifters aren't that great as is, so I don't see why you would have to slap a Strength penalty or a speed penalty on them just because you're making them small. Sure, most (but not all) small creatures have Str penalty, and many have 20' speed, but the point of having different races is not to have them all be the same.

Please, think of the razorclaw and longtooth shifters before shoehorning them into finesse combat.

eggynack
2013-12-15, 05:09 AM
If you really want to do that: Small size implies a -2 to Str. I'd compensate that with a +2 to Wis, given their tendency to gravitate towards druids, rangers and barbarians. Otherwise I would not change anything. The -2 to Str is nasty for the heavy melee flavour they have (in my opinion), but +2 to Wis would make them a uniquely interesting race for a number of classes (+2 Wis races are very rare at LA +0).
That sounds a lot like it'd change shifter from one of the best druid races to just the flat out best druid race. Also, there aren't that many +2 wisdom races, but the game overcompensates a bit by having anthropomorphic bats sitting right there at +6. Offhand, I'm not even sure if other stats even come close to that level of racial boosting with no LA or RHD.

Pesimismrocks
2013-12-15, 05:13 AM
Aren't the Saurian Shifters already Small? Or am I misremembering?

They're medium. The only difference is the con boost replacing the Dex boost

Waker
2013-12-15, 05:17 AM
I'd recommend reading the Shifter Handbook to give you some ideas about what you could change.
I would also suggest avoiding the Strength penalty. Shrinking them down is already penalizing their damage by decreasing the die used for manufactured and natural weapons, they don't need a penalty to an attribute on top of it.
If you are going to go into giving them Totems, you might want to consider retooling some of the Shifter Animal choices, as not all of them are equal.
Perhaps give them some other compensation for being small, like extra natural AC, longer shifting durations or a bonus Shifter feat.