PDA

View Full Version : Used to 3.5, players want to try 5th...

Ganorenas
2013-12-14, 06:36 PM
Looking at them mechanically, I can deal with the changes pretty easily.

My issue is that I have seen how my players adjust when using a new/slightly different system (they go from LG/NG occasionally intelligent murder hobos to Neutral Stupid MuRdErHOBO gang #12) :smallsmile:

They have a bit of the current 3.5 campaign left and i want to make 5th as easy and fun for them as possible (half of them have been dying to play a Kender and we hadn't found a copy of the Dragonlance rule book until 4-5 months into the campaign).

Has anyone else noticed a drastic change in their players or Dm when they change systems? Any tips for helping my players feel more comfortable in their new setting?

Or should I try to make it as different as possible? Make them know they are in a different system and see how they take to it? Just have fun being crazy murder hobos until they feel comfortable and start up a calmer 5th edition campaign?
Could go so far as to rearrange the basement and provide polar opposites for food, see how they react.

Palanan
2013-12-14, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by Ganorenas
Or should I try to make it as different as possible? Make them know they are in a different system and see how they take to it?

Not sure offhand why a different system would lead to different player behavior...apart from maybe more dice being thrown across the room. Unless the system is explicitly designed to change some aspect of how gamers game?

Originally Posted by Ganorenas
...half of them have been dying to play a Kender....

:smalleek:

Scow2
2013-12-14, 07:54 PM
Rules encourage and mold behaviors through rewarding/punishing playstyles. Games that fail to recognize this (Such as the Revised 3rd Edition of D&D) tend to dramatically suffer in actual playability and cause all sorts of table problems.

Metahuman1
2013-12-14, 07:59 PM
half of them want to play Kender? Like, regular Kender?

that doesn't bode well no matte what system you run. Maybe something were killing the other guy isn't the default like Mutants and Masterminds would be a better way to go?

Scow2
2013-12-14, 08:38 PM
Actually, a party full of people of Kender mentality could actually be fun. It's when you have one person of Kender mind in a party that is hostile to it that it's a problem.

Unrestrained Kenderism is full-on high-risk, high-insantiy awesome session waiting to happen.

AuraTwilight
2013-12-14, 09:32 PM
the Warhammer 40k Solution is what you want here. If even one person in a group wants to be a Kender...

Nuke it. Nuke it from space. Raze the entire planet so that Chaos has no foothold in our reality.

Ganorenas
2013-12-14, 11:48 PM
They enjoy story and RP once they are used to a system. :smallsmile: They just go a little crazy when it's new?
Thought other groups were like that... :smallsmile:

Ah well, as for the Kender bit they seem like everyone will be happy with... being Kender. Havn't seen a Lawful anything for it yet, so they will probably fill sessions with Kender shenanigans. :smalleek:

cakellene
2013-12-14, 11:59 PM
{{scrubbed}}

Thrawn183
2013-12-15, 01:14 AM
I say just run with it. It's only really a problem when one side wants serious but the other doesn't. As long as everyone is on the same page, no problems.

As an example, I did a one-shot for my players that was intended to be fun. So they ran into fairies. The tooth fairy, the fairy godmother and a fairy godfather. The tooth fairy was a refluffed Dire Weasel with 10 levels in Barbarian that blood drained people by strapping them into a dentist's chair and knocking their teeth out with a hammer. My players talk more about that one shot than anything else I've ever done.

Rhetorical question: Do you really want to try and force your players to do something they don't particularly want to do?

Renegade Paladin
2013-12-15, 10:31 AM
{{scrubbed}}
It's not out yet, but the playtest just ended.