PDA

View Full Version : Wormlike and parasitic monsters?

123456789blaaa
2013-12-14, 06:46 PM
As the title suggests, I'm looking for all the wormlike and parasitic monsters throughout 3.5/3.0. Here's what I've got so far:

Wormlike (I'd like to avoid creatures explicity connected to Kyuss here):

Dire Maggot (Libris Mortis)

Swarm of undead maggots or worms (Libris Mortis)

Swarm of undead leeches (Libris Mortis)

Leech Swarm (online article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/bs/20040926a))

Centipede swarm (SRD)

Monstrous Centipede (SRD)

Frost Worm (SRD)

Purple Worm (SRD)

Remorhaz (SRD)

Thoqqua (SRD)

Nightcrawler (SRD)

Devestation Centipede (Epic Level Handbook)

Century Worm (Fiend Folio)

Lucent Worm (Fiend Folio)

Thunder Worm (Fiend Folio)

Leechwalker (MMII)

Ashworm (Sandstorm)

Onyx Worm (online article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20020808a))

Carrion Crawlers (MM)

Rot Grub (Hazard) (Dungeonscape)

Rot Grub Swarm (Dungeonscape)

Leech, Giant (Stormwrack)

Leech Swarm (Stormwrack)

Thrum Worm (Races of Stone)

Velvet Worm (Lost Empires of Faerun)

Stormstalk (Magic of Eberron)

Winter cyst (Magic of Eberron)

Spellwurm (Magic of Eberron)

Breed leech (Magic of Eberron)

Tongueworm (Eberron Campaign Setting)

Tentacle Whip (Eberron Campaign Setting)

Nilshai (Unapproachable East)

Psurlon (Lord of Madness)

Parasitic (I'd like to avoid undead here):

Thorciasid (Epic Level Handbook)

Trilloch (MMIII)

Cerebral Hood (FF)

Mind Leech (FF)

Gutworm (FF)

Soul Tick (FF)

Jahi (MM2)

Tsochari (Lords of Madness)

Puppeteer (SRD)

Thoon Infiltrator (MMV)

I'm pretty sure there are more out there. Help would be appreciated in finding them.

Helluin
2013-12-14, 06:59 PM
I noticed that you didn't mention Carrion Crawlers.

There is Sand Worm from Sandstorm

And I believe neothelids do exist in 3.x. Although I can't recall the book that they are from.

Also there is the Onyx Worm (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20020808a). Interestingly they don't really get along with the neothelids.

Edit: I forgot to mention the Thoqqua and the Nightcrawlers (both are from SRD).

rmnimoc
2013-12-14, 07:26 PM
Dont forget the Worm That Walks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/wormThatWalks.htm).
My bad, I suppose Worms that Walk probably counts as being explicitly related to Kyuss (since he is one).

Palanan
2013-12-14, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by 123456789blaaa
I'm pretty sure there are more out there. Help would be appreciated in finding them.

You, my friend, need to check out the Tsochari, from Lords of Madness, for all your wormlike parasitic mind-controlling needs.

Choose a single strand to deceive your unsuspecting players, and then hit them with the full writhing clump-o'-creepy. You can't go wrong.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-12-14, 07:48 PM
And I believe neothelids do exist in 3.x. Although I can't recall the book that they are from.

These (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/neothelid.htm)?

If you're looking for something a little more obscure, try the Jahi (MM2).

Kelb_Panthera
2013-12-14, 10:28 PM
You, my friend, need to check out the Tsochari, from Lords of Madness, for all your wormlike parasitic mind-controlling needs.

Choose a single strand to deceive your unsuspecting players, and then hit them with the full writhing clump-o'-creepy. You can't go wrong.

Seconded. Those critters are one of the few things in D&D that really squick me out.

Take a look in MM2. Like a third of the book is wormy critters.

Edit: wait.... Maybe it was fiend folio? Definitely one or the other.

Thurbane
2013-12-14, 10:39 PM
For parasitic creatures:

Puppeteer (EPH)
Trilloch (MM3)
Cerebral Hood (FF)
Mind Leech (FF)
Gutworm (FF)
Soul Tick (FF)

Envyus
2013-12-14, 11:05 PM
Ulgurstasta (FF)
Avolakia (MM2)

For more Worms.

ShurikVch
2013-12-15, 09:15 AM
Dungeonscape
Rot Grub (Hazard)
Rot Grub Swarm

Worm of Minauros (FC2)

Ashworm (Sandstorm)

Stormwrack
Leech, Giant
Leech Swarm

Thrum Worm (RoS)

Velvet Worm (LEoF)

Eberron Campaign Setting
Symbiont, Tongueworm
Symbiont, Spellwurm
Symbiont, Breed Leech

Bestiary of Krynn
Swarm, Turbindus Leech
Urkhan Worm

Barrow of the Forgotten King (DD1)
Stygian Leech Swarm
Giant Stygian Leech

Sinister Spire (DD2)
Wearying Worm

Boneworm (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/fw/fw20020817a)

Living Greyhawk Journal #3
Amedian Gutworm

Nerephtys (Dragon #276)

Blackwater Leech (Hazard) (Dragon #303)

Mind Worm (Dragon #337)

Mulworm (Dungeon #110 [Polyhedron #169])

Dungeon #130
Worm Naga
Overworm
Wormcaller
Wormswarm

Dungeon #134
Earthcancer Centipede
Wormdrake

Dangerous Denizens: The Monsters of Tellene
Crimson Worm
Mountain Worm
Sand Worm

Monstrous Leech (Aldriv's Revenge)

Sand Maggot, Rock Worm (Diablo II: To Hell and Back)

The Viscount
2013-12-15, 12:08 PM
The Thoon Infiltrator from MMV is a great parasite, though it's only really encountered in its host.

Illithids in general are parasites of a sort.

123456789blaaa
2013-12-16, 06:14 PM
I've put in the monsters that fit the criteria (also,forgot to mention that I'm avoiding 2nd and 3rd party. Sorry). Thanks guys! :smallbiggrin:.

ShurikVch, what does LEoF and RoS stand for? I can't find the two monsters with those acronyms beside them in Stormwrack.

Palanan
2013-12-16, 06:16 PM
LEoF is Lost Empires of Faerūn, and RoS is probably Races of Stone.

ShurikVch
2013-12-17, 03:40 PM
Fiendwurm from MM2

Also, why you not included mentioned stuff from Eberron? Look it: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/moe_gallery/91496.jpg
(Symbiont, from left to right: Stormstalk, Winter cyst, Crawling gauntlet, Throwing scarab, Shadow sibling, Spellwurm and Breed leech)

123456789blaaa
2013-12-18, 05:06 PM
Fiendwurm from MM2

Also, why you not included mentioned stuff from Eberron? Look it: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/moe_gallery/91496.jpg
(Symbiont, from left to right: Stormstalk, Winter cyst, Crawling gauntlet, Throwing scarab, Shadow sibling, Spellwurm and Breed leech)

Forgot. I'll add all of those except the Crawling Gauntlet, Throwing Scarab, and Shadow Sibling.

And in case anyone wants to know why I started this thread in the first place, it's because I'm gathering a list of monsters to populate the Abyssal layer of Ugudenk, the Demon Prince of Worms and Hungry Parasites. I'll add the Fiendish or Corrupted by the Abyss templates and voila :smallcool:.

Some of the creatures on the list don't really fit. I can use those for things involving other beings though (nilshai and psurlons worship Mak Thuum Ngatha already, the Jahi fits quite well with the demon prince Sertrous, etc).

ShurikVch
2013-12-20, 05:55 PM
I'm sorry, there is a little inaccuracy: picture (and all creatures on it) is actually from Magic of Eberron.

On the over hand, Tongueworm is indeed from ECS, but not mentioned in the list

Coidzor
2013-12-21, 08:35 PM
Not sure if it falls under your particular definition of parasite, but, well, stirges.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-21, 10:29 PM
Did we come all this way without mention of lucent worm and century worm? Lucent might be connected to Kyuss, but I'm pretty sure one of them is not (always get the two confused, though). They are both very large, however, and I was unclear if you were looking for small stuff or not.

Also, you may be able to find stats for lesser elemental weirds online. They look like snakelike/worm-like creatures already, and could easily be fluffed away from the elemental themes into something with a more twisted/demonic feel.

For instance, pick one of these wormlike creatures or parasites that is rather innocuous. Perhaps they are made part of some demonic ritual in which they are implanted in an innocent mortal. Via months of hideous torment, the mortal's body is consumed, and out emerges one of these medium-sized worm things, crackling with Abyssal energy, able to spit balls of acid at will, go incorporeal/earthglide, and otherwise personify slippery ickiness however possible. You could even have the mortal's body remain as some kind of refluffed morhg, with the worm-thing emerging from the mortal like an umbilical cord.

Also, I believe there is a spell called gutsnake in Book of Vile Darkness. Maybe make a variant living spell (MM3) that forces an effect similar to gutsnake on the recipient. The gutsnake emerges from the subdued/dying/dead target and attacks anyone in range. Could be pretty cool.

123456789blaaa
2013-12-21, 11:18 PM
I'm sorry, there is a little inaccuracy: picture (and all creatures on it) is actually from Magic of Eberron.

On the over hand, Tongueworm is indeed from ECS, but not mentioned in the list

Fixed.

Not sure if it falls under your particular definition of parasite, but, well, stirges.

...I don't know how I forgot that. Stirges are a classic. Added.

Did we come all this way without mention of lucent worm and century worm? Lucent might be connected to Kyuss, but I'm pretty sure one of them is not (always get the two confused, though). They are both very large, however, and I was unclear if you were looking for small stuff or not.

Nope. They were both on the list before there were any suggestions :smalltongue:.

Also, you may be able to find stats for lesser elemental weirds online. They look like snakelike/worm-like creatures already, and could easily be fluffed away from the elemental themes into something with a more twisted/demonic feel.

For instance, pick one of these wormlike creatures or parasites that is rather innocuous. Perhaps they are made part of some demonic ritual in which they are implanted in an innocent mortal. Via months of hideous torment, the mortal's body is consumed, and out emerges one of these medium-sized worm things, crackling with Abyssal energy, able to spit balls of acid at will, go incorporeal/earthglide, and otherwise personify slippery ickiness however possible. You could even have the mortal's body remain as some kind of refluffed morhg, with the worm-thing emerging from the mortal like an umbilical cord.

Also, I believe there is a spell called gutsnake in Book of Vile Darkness. Maybe make a variant living spell (MM3) that forces an effect similar to gutsnake on the recipient. The gutsnake emerges from the subdued/dying/dead target and attacks anyone in range. Could be pretty cool.

Well I already have the Thoqqua so elemental weirds wouldn't really be a stretch...hm.

An aspect of Ugudenk sounds perfect for that ritual idea (well,, they'd be bigger but that's fine). Wouldn't be beyond my abilities as a homebrewer either since it's just altering an existing monster (with plenty of examples of the same thing done to other Demon Princes). It's speculated in-universe that Ugudenk might actually be an extension/feeding tendril of his layer. Perhaps the ritual could bestow the same kind of relationship to a host and the aspect? You'd have to destroy the host to kill the aspect permenently...nice source of moral dilemma's.

I'm not sure whether the living spell or the target would control the gutsnake...

Rubik
2013-12-21, 11:33 PM
Wasps are frequently parasitic -- or at least, their spawn are. Go for a hellwasp swarm. They use the bodies of their prey to incubate their eggs.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-21, 11:34 PM
You'd really have to get some other spell, not actual gutsnake, since it doesn't work like you'd want a malicious, body-controlling parasite to work.

However, you could use this as the seed for some more homebrew. Instead of a living spell, the creature is some kind of...parasite monarch. It's attack deploys parasites that then take over the attacked creature, emerging from the creature's mouth and attempting to kill it's host. Once the host is dead, they join together like a bunch of non-undead vilewights/mohrgs, maybe even having some kind of hive mind effect.

I'd reflavor a varagouille to be the monarch, make it bigger, maybe still attached to a humanoid body, but otherwise a throbbing mass of toothy, purple worm flesh. It uses the varagouille's kiss, but you'd have to speed it up a bit, maybe. Infected people are killed/disabled by the parasite that they are hosting, and then dragged around zombie-style as it crudely animates the host body.

I also have some other ideas regarding sentient starfish, but I'm not sure that fits the flavor.

In any case, this place could be really cool. I'd suggest coming at the theme for the plane (or at least a significant location on it) totally sideways. Do you have a physical description of the place?

Thanatosia
2013-12-21, 11:36 PM
Dont forget the Worm That Walks.
My bad, I suppose Worms that Walk probably counts as being explicitly related to Kyuss (since he is one).
Worms that Walk also appear in books and settings that have nothing to do with Kyuss (They are in the Epic Level handbook for example with no Kyuss material). Just sharing a trait with Kyuss does not make them Kyuss related necisarily IMO.

Rubik
2013-12-21, 11:39 PM
How about green slime? Yellow musk creepers?

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-21, 11:42 PM
How about green slime?

The problem with green slime (or else I would have mentioned it), is that it pretty explicitly falls under the purview of either Zuggtmoy or Jubilex. There are enough demon lords for there to be considerable overlap, however, and the stuff is literally the coolest stuff in existence. DMG 76 for the reference point. It has a few issues, but it's an OBJECT (and counts as a plant), which opens up a whole number of options.

You could easily refluff green slime or yellow musk creeper to be something suitable.

Rubik
2013-12-21, 11:44 PM
The problem with green slime (or else I would have mentioned it), is that it pretty explicitly falls under the purview of either Zuggtmoy or Jubilex. There are enough demon lords for there to be considerable overlap, however, and the stuff is literally the coolest stuff in existence. DMG 76 for the reference point. It has a few issues, but it's an OBJECT (and counts as a plant), which opens up a whole number of options.I edited after you quoted. How about the yellow musk creeper? And you edited yours after I edited mine.

You can always refluff a bit, I guess. A writhing mass of plantlike wormage that just happens to have the stats of the hazards in question.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-21, 11:50 PM
Yellow musk creeper in particular would be very easy to restat as a vermin of some kind. Definitely a quick port that would be nice for a random encounter table.

ShurikVch
2013-12-22, 08:00 AM
How about stuff from Dark Sun?

Mulworm
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120927192860/dungeonsdragons/images/a/ae/Mulworm2.png
(from this picture)
http://www.pathguy.com/athasian_familiars.jpg

Darkz0r
2013-12-22, 08:10 AM
Didn't see anyone mention the most classic one, purple worm!! hehehe
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/purpleWorm.htm

123456789blaaa
2013-12-24, 02:22 PM
Wasps are frequently parasitic -- or at least, their spawn are. Go for a hellwasp swarm. They use the bodies of their prey to incubate their eggs.

Problem is that Obox-obs (Demon Prince of Vermin) favored demon minions-the ekolids-have already got the "insect that implants spawn- thing down. And hellwasp swarms canonically live on his layer as well.

While a level of overlap between this realm and Zionyn (the realm of Obox-ob) is probably inevitable...I'd still like to avoid it as much as I can.

You'd really have to get some other spell, not actual gutsnake, since it doesn't work like you'd want a malicious, body-controlling parasite to work.

However, you could use this as the seed for some more homebrew. Instead of a living spell, the creature is some kind of...parasite monarch. It's attack deploys parasites that then take over the attacked creature, emerging from the creature's mouth and attempting to kill it's host. Once the host is dead, they join together like a bunch of non-undead vilewights/mohrgs, maybe even having some kind of hive mind effect.

I'd reflavor a varagouille to be the monarch, make it bigger, maybe still attached to a humanoid body, but otherwise a throbbing mass of toothy, purple worm flesh. It uses the varagouille's kiss, but you'd have to speed it up a bit, maybe. Infected people are killed/disabled by the parasite that they are hosting, and then dragged around zombie-style as it crudely animates the host body.

I also have some other ideas regarding sentient starfish, but I'm not sure that fits the flavor.

In any case, this place could be really cool. I'd suggest coming at the theme for the plane (or at least a significant location on it) totally sideways. Do you have a physical description of the place?

Nope. The layer is entirely undescribed other than being the 177th layer of the Abyss and being "ruled" by Ugudenk. I'm pretty much starting from scratch.

We can extrapolate though. Ugudenk is very much associated with burrowing under the earth so his realm is probably earthy and deep. Given the existence of wormy parasites living there like the gutworm and leech swarms, there are probably lakes and other collections of stagnant water. Given how Ugudenk is speculated to be an extension of his layer, perhaps these are secretions from the alive layer itself?

It's called the Writhing Realm. Accordingly it should writhe. I'm not sure on the specifics of this though...how it would be represented mechanically and what form it would take. Repeated Earthquake spells that come and go are a bit bland but fit.

Worms that Walk also appear in books and settings that have nothing to do with Kyuss (They are in the Epic Level handbook for example with no Kyuss material). Just sharing a trait with Kyuss does not make them Kyuss related necisarily IMO.

Kyuss is the original though. In Elder Evils the normal WtW template was actually renamed Lesser Worm that Walks.

Besides, it's hard to imagine why a WtW would want to hang out on Ugudenks layer in the first place. The other intelligent monsters at least have the excuse of being alien in mindset.

How about green slime? Yellow musk creepers?

The problem with green slime (or else I would have mentioned it), is that it pretty explicitly falls under the purview of either Zuggtmoy or Jubilex. There are enough demon lords for there to be considerable overlap, however, and the stuff is literally the coolest stuff in existence. DMG 76 for the reference point. It has a few issues, but it's an OBJECT (and counts as a plant), which opens up a whole number of options.

You could easily refluff green slime or yellow musk creeper to be something suitable.

I edited after you quoted. How about the yellow musk creeper? And you edited yours after I edited mine.

You can always refluff a bit, I guess. A writhing mass of plantlike wormage that just happens to have the stats of the hazards in question.

Yellow musk creeper in particular would be very easy to restat as a vermin of some kind. Definitely a quick port that would be nice for a random encounter table.

A bit too much over my refluff threshold. Both the YMC and Green Slime count as plants. This doesn't really mesh with refluffing them to be more wormy. Changing that opens up a whole new bunch of monsters to include.

How about stuff from Dark Sun?

Mulworm
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120927192860/dungeonsdragons/images/a/ae/Mulworm2.png
(from this picture)
http://www.pathguy.com/athasian_familiars.jpg

3.5 Dark Sun isn't First Party right? No can do then.

Didn't see anyone mention the most classic one, purple worm!! hehehe
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/purpleWorm.htm

That's cause it was already on the list originally :smalltongue:.