PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Halfling build (need help)

PangolinPie
2013-12-14, 09:13 PM
A friend is planning to do a game thats going to focus on mounted combat. As a fan of the shorter races, I thought playing a halfling outrider could be fun. I ended up coming up with this idea inspired by Sir Didymus from the movie Labyrinth; a very Don Quixote inspired old world nobleman, always running headfirst into battle with little comprehension of danger of fear and a booming "TALLY-HO!! HA-HA!!"

The idea is that in his homeland he was renowned as a great hero, defeating or chasing off relatively low level threats like Kobolds or Goblins until the day he faced a true threat; a group of human bandits who defeated him quite easily before he himself was rescued. His honor now in question, he has chosen to leave his homeland in the hopes of restoring his dignity and honor as a "true hero" of the people.

I was thinking of doing a build of Paladin of Freedom 5/ Beast Master 1/ Halfling Outrider 10/ Cavalier X (not necessarily in that order). However a Halfling who runs headfirst into battle rather than utilizing range is problematic but works with his concept...

I usually forgo certain optimization options for the sake of an interesting and entertaining character

As for a mount, the GM already made it clear that magical or epic mounts are not optional at least at the start (probably going to be starting at level 5) but he would be willing to hear out options for homebrewed miniaturized versions of other mundane creatures that would fit a Halfling size range. I'm thinking either the standard Mastiff or perhaps a Boar or maybe a small Ram (with a sour temperament and a tendency to bash random things with his head). I kinda like the Ram actually from an visually aesthetic point of view...(although any other suggestions for an interesting mount based on a mundane creature are welcome).

Well getting to the point...any ideas, suggestions? I mean really its ideas addressing the concern of the melee issue, armor options (any Paladin feats that allow a halfling to wear better armor without the penalties?), feat suggestions or even any flaws with the build itself. And also I hear the new Pathfinder Paladin is far more well built and my GM might be open for me to use it. Is that a viable option?

MonochromeTiger
2013-12-14, 09:17 PM
well you see, the best way to build a mounted halfling is to first get a halfling, doesn't have to be dead just make sure it's too low on hitpoints to fight back, then get a nice sharp hook on your wall to hang it from. wait you meant as a character... right...

ride by attack is always helpful with mounted characters in my experience, allows mobility and with a high enough movement makes hit and run attacks really easy.

PangolinPie
2013-12-14, 09:19 PM
well you see, the best way to build a mounted halfling is to first get a halfling, doesn't have to be dead just make sure it's too low on hitpoints to fight back, then get a nice sharp hook on your wall to hang it from. wait you meant as a character... right...

ride by attack is always helpful with mounted characters in my experience, allows mobility and with a high enough movement makes hit and run attacks really easy.

LOL! :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Kuulvheysoon
2013-12-14, 09:32 PM
A possible suggestion for you could be a Brixashulty (Brixa) found in Races of the Wild. They're not too bad, as far as Rams go.

Metahuman1
2013-12-15, 12:58 AM
Add the Healing Property and Valourous Property, and maybe when you can also afford it the Force Property to your lance and take Power Attack, Ride By Attack and Spirited Charge.

Warblade and Crusader are good Classes for Mounted as they give you some counters and boosts you can use whenever, some strikes for when you get dismounted so your not totally helpless, and some strikes that actually benefit charging.

One Last thing. If you have a Cleric and a Wizard in the party, see if you can get Wizard to take Item Familiar and then get them to work together to make you some permanent fine sized animated objects you can hide in your armor where they can't be targeted, and that have the weapons finesse feat and instructions to give you aid another actions every round. That way you can dump your Full BAB into your charge every round and not have to worry about it, and multiply it x2 and then x4 for a total of + 8 times your level bonus to damage every time you charge mounted, pretty spiffy.

Morphie
2013-12-15, 01:36 AM
Add the Healing Property and Valourous Property, and maybe when you can also afford it the Force Property to your lance and take Power Attack, Ride By Attack and Spirited Charge.

Warblade and Crusader are good Classes for Mounted as they give you some counters and boosts you can use whenever, some strikes for when you get dismounted so your not totally helpless, and some strikes that actually benefit charging.

One Last thing. If you have a Cleric and a Wizard in the party, see if you can get Wizard to take Item Familiar and then get them to work together to make you some permanent fine sized animated objects you can hide in your armor where they can't be targeted, and that have the weapons finesse feat and instructions to give you aid another actions every round. That way you can dump your Full BAB into your charge every round and not have to worry about it, and multiply it x2 and then x4 for a total of + 8 times your level bonus to damage every time you charge mounted, pretty spiffy.

Where is that healing weapon enchantment anyway? I can't seem to find it anywhere...

Metahuman1
2013-12-15, 12:21 PM
Well, upon closer examination, it was recommended to me some time back with those stats, so that's why I remembered it that way. Unfortunately, this was a typo. They were actually recommending Wrathful Healing and it's a +3 ability.

Darrin
2013-12-15, 12:42 PM
Sir Didymus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5998772&postcount=2) is the first build mentioned in Person_Man's Knight Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429).

Also, the Halfling Outrider PrC is the lynchpin of most Supermount (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/967311) builds.

Greenish
2013-12-15, 01:44 PM
As for a mount, the GM already made it clear that magical or epic mounts are not optional at least at the start:smallconfused:

I think you mean the exact opposite.

And also I hear the new Pathfinder Paladin is far more well built and my GM might be open for me to use it. Is that a viable option?PF paladin is indeed greatly improved, enough so that you might be tempted to stay in the class. A nice bonus is that the mount isn't on timer, so you can have it with you all the time.