PDA

View Full Version : Troll Blooded Dragon Wings

GhengisConrad
2013-12-14, 09:49 PM
So... wanna play a Half-Minotaur StoneHunter Gnome. Only catch is, I need to be able to take Troll-Blooded and Dragon Wings to make this work. As far as I can tell... that's impossible... (far as I can see both need to be taken at first level, and gnomes, unlike humans, don't get such luxuries as 2 starting feats)

Can someone please tell me why I am WRONG?

Curmudgeon
2013-12-14, 09:53 PM
Flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) can allow your character to acquire up to 2 more feats at 1st level.

Forrestfire
2013-12-14, 09:54 PM
Maybe convince the DM to allow flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm)?

GhengisConrad
2013-12-14, 09:54 PM
What book? And how common is its usage? The link says its 'Variant Character Building Rules"..... we are RAW whores, and tend to... avoid... variant rules...

shadow_archmagi
2013-12-14, 09:57 PM
What if you used Dragonborn to get the wings, rather than a feat?

GhengisConrad
2013-12-14, 10:00 PM
Thanks to EVERYONE for their awesome and fast responses!

Unfortunatley... I am a little b*t*h and don't like the way dragonborn 'look'. Part of my RAW whore optimization lust is my ability to project me real 'self' onto my character... unless you can think of an inherent way (like, other than items or casting alter-self) to make them not look like lizards.... (this is also why all my builds are medium sized and mostly humanoidish)

I like the idea of flaws, but its a hard sell if its a variant rule. If its one of those variant rules that everyone uses, then it could be a thing....

TuggyNE
2013-12-14, 10:06 PM
I like the idea of flaws, but its a hard sell if its a variant rule. If its one of those variant rules that everyone uses, then it could be a thing....

It's a variant that is fairly common. It's certainly RAW, in the technical sense of being a fully-fleshed out set of rules published by WotC for D&D. And, in general, the metagame analysis UA provides is at least somewhat useful for determining the effect on the game.

However, if your group really does not want the DM to have to make the call on whether to include it, there's not much I can say.

OldTrees1
2013-12-14, 10:11 PM

It is not quite as common as ignoring multiclassing xp penalties, but it is _quite_ common. Although most groups that use flaws require they impact the character. (Ex: no -2 ranged attacks flaw for melee characters)

Curmudgeon
2013-12-14, 10:12 PM
What book?
The book is Unearthed Arcana, pages 91-92. (There are more flaws in various issues of Dragon magazine.)

cakellene
2013-12-14, 11:24 PM
Is one less feat at level one gonna break your build?

GhengisConrad
2013-12-14, 11:27 PM
No, RAW they are both feats that need to be taken at level one.

ShurikVch
2013-12-15, 04:45 AM
By RAW, Troll Blooded is human-only

sleepyphoenixx
2013-12-15, 05:21 AM
By RAW, Troll Blooded is human-only

It also requires Toughness iirc. :smallsmile: