PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 feats that any character could take?

unseenmage
2013-12-14, 10:00 PM
List the most broken overpowered munchkinable minmaxable feats that you know of.
In the order you'd take them. This is a challenge to find good great feats for anyone rather than those feats that are good for a specific build.

The list would be useful for DMs who need feats for monsters.
(Awakened creatures and other magically created creatures without proper statblocks come to mind.)

The goal is to have a list of the most OP ten feats one character could take.
The only feat slots we're filling are the ones any creature has according to the Level-Dependent Benefits tables on page 22 of the 3.5 Player's Handbook and page 7 of the Epic Level Handbook.

Feats from all sources are available but please cite sources for those feats that aren't in core.

When feats are gained:

1st lvl:
3rd lvl:
6th lvl:
9th lvl:
12th lvl:
15th lvl:
18th lvl:
21st lvl:
24th lvl:
27th lvl:

List of feats so far:

Generally Useful
Able Learner (RoD150)
Alertness
Bladeproof Skin (UA92)
Faerie Mysteries Initiate (D319pg58)
Favored In Guild (DMG2pg227)
Imperious Command (DotU50)
Improved Initiative
Jack of All Trades (CAd110)
Keen Intellect (OA64)
Knowledge Devotion (CCh60)
Mercantile Background (PGtF41)
Live my Nightmare (UA94)
Luck of Heroes (PGtF40)
Nymph's Kiss (BoED44)
Open Minded (CAd111)
Quick Draw
Quick Reconnoiter (CAd112)
Rapid Metabolism (EPH50)
Touch of Golden Ice (BoED47)
Travel Devotion (CCh62)
True Believer (MIC222)
Water Devotion (CCh64)
Wild Cohort (web (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a))

Quite Powerful
Ancestral Relic (BoED39)
Animal Devotion (CCh54)
Darkstalker (LoM179)
Death Devotion (CCh57)
Draconic Aura: Vigor (DM16)
Healing Devotion (CCh59)
Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm#)
Fast Healing (Dr70)
Landlord (SBG10)
Leadership
Least Legacy (WoL14)
Planar Touchstone (PlH41)
Undead Leadership (LM31)
Wedded to History (D354pg54)

Prerequisite for Shenanigans
Bind Vestige (ToM72)
Hidden Talent (EPH67)
Magical Training (PGtF41)
Martial Study (ToB31)
Open (varies) Chakra (MoI39-40)
Shape Soulmeld (MoI40)

Requires Prerequisite
Alternative Source Spell (D325pg61)
Assume Supernatural Ability (SS30)
Chaotic Spell Recall (FC1pg84)
Craft Contingent Spell (CAr77)
Draconic Heritage (DM17)
Magical Training (PGtF41) --> Create Wondrous Item
Flyby Attack
Bind Vestige (ToM72) --> Improved Bind Vestige (ToM73)
Lifesense (LM28)
Magic In The Blood (PGtF40)
Martial Study (ToB31) --> Martial Stance (ToB31)
Metamorphic Transfer (EPH48)
Mindsight (LoM126)
Magical Training (PGtF41) --> Obtain Familiar (CAr81)
Natural Spell
Point Blank Shot --> Precise Shot
Craft Staff --> Recharge Staff (D338pg60)
Spontaneous Healer (CDi84)
Toughness --> Troll-Blooded (D319pg61)
War Magic Study (D309pg44)

Honorable Mention
Running Circles (Monte Cook's Book of Experimental Might)

EugeneVoid
2013-12-14, 10:03 PM
Leadership

SowZ
2013-12-14, 10:04 PM
Leadership
Item Familiar
Improved Initiative
Create Wondrous Item if you can manage a caster level, which isn't too hard even for a mundane character
Obtain Familiar, also requires a caster level
Wild Cohort
Able Learner
Martial Study
The Devotion Feats are generally all around decent, too, and oddly don't have alignment pre-reqs as far as I know

OldTrees1
2013-12-14, 10:14 PM
Leadership

Undead Leadership (your minions are Necropolitians but you get a higher starting Leadership score)

EugeneVoid
2013-12-14, 10:16 PM
Why not both.

OldTrees1
2013-12-14, 10:31 PM
Why not both.

That was what I meant.

SowZ
2013-12-14, 10:32 PM
Why not both.

Taking standard Leadership would be redundant, depending on the interpretation, since the 'follower slots' may or may not be doubled by taking both feats. The only reason you would take both feats under such a ruling is because you want the undead cohort but don't want to be penalized for living followers.

gorfnab
2013-12-14, 11:07 PM
Shape Soulmeld

limejuicepowder
2013-12-14, 11:09 PM
I'm a fan of quick draw.....yeah most people aren't, but I like the idea that I can get that thing I need RIGHT NOW easily.

SowZ
2013-12-14, 11:29 PM
I'm a fan of quick draw.....yeah most people aren't, but I like the idea that I can get that thing I need RIGHT NOW easily.

Lot's of items for that, though.

Scow2
2013-12-14, 11:32 PM

Quick Draw only applies to weapons... which also means the much-vaunted Commoner ChickenSwarm is not actually functional.

Kraken
2013-12-14, 11:36 PM
Something that I feel goes under the radar for many different character types is darkstalker. Sure, it often gets mentioned in rogue-type builds, but realistically it can be fantastic for any character, especially ones utilizing invisibility, concealment, miss chance, and so forth.

Shape soulmeld is definitely a winner, due to its vast versatility.

Leadership, and similar abilities, are probably at the top in terms of raw power, depending on the degree to which you're allowed to customize your follower and cohorts.

Improved initiative, because going first can be very useful.

Quick reconnoiter has helped me many times with DMs who are stingy about observational skills during combat. Plus, more bonus initiative. Though it has 5 ranks in listen and spot as pre reqs, so it might take a while for some builds to qualify.

Planar touchstone. Another versatile one with so many uses.

Mindsight, unquestionably powerful and useful for anyone, if you can qualify.

Silva Stormrage
2013-12-14, 11:46 PM
Landlord gives you a LOT of money for a fortress and you can use it to build a flying cube of death.

ben-zayb
2013-12-14, 11:51 PM
Hidden Talent and Magical Training could open a big can of worms if used intelligently (and we know that budding psions and wizards are just that)

Since this thread concerns monsters thrown by DMs, I figure Assume Supernatural Ability and Flyby Attack would also work wonders.

Deepwood Sniper
2013-12-15, 12:01 AM
I've always tried to make the feats Toughness, Trollblooded, fast heal, true believer, and Precise Shot. if im playing a class with alot of healing spells like a cleric, i always get the Spontaneous Healer feat.

cakellene
2013-12-15, 12:02 AM
Quick Draw only applies to weapons... which also means the much-vaunted Commoner ChickenSwarm is not actually functional.

Chickens are scary weapons, just ask Link.

EugeneVoid
2013-12-15, 12:23 AM
I've always tried to make the feats Toughness, Trollblooded, fast heal, true believer, and Precise Shot. if im playing a class with alot of healing spells like a cleric, i always get the Spontaneous Healer feat.

Dat Toughness

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-12-15, 12:25 AM
In addition to a several that have been mention repeatedly; Improved Initiatiative, Leadership, Shape Soulmeld, Wild Cohort, Able Learner . . .

Hidden Talent-It's only supposed to be available in "High Psionics" campaigns, but it gives you 2 PP and a 1st level power from any list.

Martial Study/Stance

Bladeproof Skin-DR 3/bludgeoning will make you far too tanky if taken at level 1.

Bind Vestige/Improved

If allowed; the old version of Cosmopolitan that gave you +2 to a skill and made it always a class skill. Great for qualifying for prestige classes or maxing one of the "best" skills.

Oh, Devotion Feats. I know they usually aren't recommended for characters that don't have native turn undead attempts, but for a monster or anyone that doesn't expect to get in regular 4/day encounters, they can be great.

For a first level character, Healing Devotion's 1 minute of fast heal 1 could give a serious edge in combat and a full heal afterwards.

Air gives a trivial +1 deflection bonus to AC, but also gives projectiles a 50% miss chance against you.

Death-heavily restricted negative level effect on weapons.

Fire-+1 fire damage+ignite

Travel/Knowledge-well known optimizers tools

Water-Summon a water elemental, potentially strong at the minimum levels to summon each size, very weak just before upgrading.

Rubik
2013-12-15, 12:31 AM
Quick Draw only applies to weapons... which also means the much-vaunted Commoner ChickenSwarm is not actually functional.Chickens are weapons. They may be improvised weapons, but that's only a -4 penalty. Heck, almost anything can be used as an improvised weapon.

Deepwood Sniper
2013-12-15, 12:32 AM
Dat Toughness

i only get it as a prerequisite though. past level 3 its pretty much useless. Trollblooded has saved me more times than i can remember. i'm currently playing the "Shackled City" campaign as a Dwarf Cleric at 5th level. I'm focusing primarily on being the healer. Its been working pretty well for me.

Rubik
2013-12-15, 12:41 AM
Draconic Heritage followed by Draconic Aura: Vigor. Even at a +1 bonus, that's still fast healing 1 for everyone in the group who isn't at 50% hp or above, saving quite a lot of healing in the long run. Especially great to put on a psicrystal, animal companion, or improved familiar.

Assume Supernatural Ability and Rapid Metabolism are excellent for anyone with shapeshifting ability, including those with a psychoactive skin of proteus, any odd creature type and a wand of Alter Self, or other item-based Polymorph-type effect. Gain pixie-based Greater Invisibility, basically at will. Any psionic character would find Metamorphic Transfer in the same boat.

Open Minded is great for +5 skill points to help you qualify for a prestige class or broaden your horizons at low levels, and it can be retrained later if your breadth in skills becomes satisfactory naturally.

SowZ
2013-12-15, 12:57 AM
Draconic Heritage followed by Draconic Aura: Vigor. Even at a +1 bonus, that's still fast healing 1 for everyone in the group who isn't at 50% hp or above, saving quite a lot of healing in the long run. Especially great to put on a psicrystal, animal companion, or improved familiar.

Assume Supernatural Ability and Rapid Metabolism are excellent for anyone with shapeshifting ability, including those with a psychoactive skin of proteus, any odd creature type and a wand of Alter Self, or other item-based Polymorph-type effect. Gain pixie-based Greater Invisibility, basically at will. Any psionic character would find Metamorphic Transfer in the same boat.

Open Minded is great for +5 skill points to help you qualify for a prestige class or broaden your horizons at low levels, and it can be retrained later if your breadth in skills becomes satisfactory naturally.

You can't retrain if you needed them to qualify for a PrC.

unseenmage
2013-12-15, 01:10 AM

Does that Fast Heal trick work if the party are all Constructs?

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-12-15, 01:32 AM
Yes, only regeneration is restricted from working on Con - creatures. Kinda funny that the Druid exclusive healing spell works on constructs and Cleric's Cures don't and they don't have access to repair spells when you consider the historical origin of Golems.

Thanatosia
2013-12-15, 01:57 AM
Luck of Heroes seems a pretty solid no brainer must take for anyone playing with Faerun Locality feats. +1 AC & all saves for one feat is pretty dang hard to beat, and useful to pretty much every character ever.

Rubik
2013-12-15, 02:17 AM
You can't retrain if you needed them to qualify for a PrC.If you've already got the skill points, it doesn't matter how you got them later on, even without the extra five. Just make sure to put more of your natural ranks in.

Does that Fast Heal trick work if the party are all Constructs?Yep! Fast healing works on anything.

OldTrees1
2013-12-15, 02:21 AM
Luck of Heroes seems a pretty solid no brainer must take for anyone playing with Faerun Locality feats. +1 AC & all saves for one feat is pretty dang hard to beat, and useful to pretty much every character ever.

It's just +numbers. Most of the good feats at +abilty/trait/quality

TuggyNE
2013-12-15, 02:21 AM
Most min-maxing only works properly for a particular set of builds, which is why stuff like Natural Spell is extremely powerful, but on most characters completely useless. So there's going to be a lot of feats that are weirdly non-useful per the restrictions.

Beg pardon? The usual method I'm aware of is to use an SCP to generate infinite chickens with infinite free actions; no feat required, just a mundane* item.

*Well, allegedly mundane. SCPs, to my mind, are the least mundane items in D&D short of major artifacts, though.

Know(Nothing)
2013-12-15, 05:23 AM
If you're Necropolitan, Lifesense is insanely good.

Ansem
2013-12-15, 06:00 AM
Mercantile background.
Easier to buy artifacts and 50% more income from loot to really fuel that equipment train.
Ever since I gave it to my Artificer I'm never playing without again.

nedz
2013-12-15, 06:07 AM
Improved initiative and Quick reconnoitre are game dependant.

In rocket tag games Improved initiative is very powerful to the point where everyone has it. In other games, where combats start with only partial information, it is pretty meh because you may not yet know what it is you need to be doing.
Also, you can make similar arguments for Alertness, in games where every encounter is an ambush and combats are very short this can be the difference between getting a surprise round or not. Obviously this is only useful if you have maxed out Spot.

Brookshw
2013-12-15, 06:13 AM
Honorable mention for live my nightmare.

Waker
2013-12-15, 06:24 AM
Martial Study
Shape Soulmeld/Open X Chakra
Binding/Improved
Hidden Talent

If you can't find a use for at least one of those, you just aren't trying.

Darkstalker- Even if you aren't playing as a sneak, the simple fact that creatures can't auto-detect you is useful.
Cool Head/Free Runner/Sure Hand/Sweet Talker- While skills are somewhat underrated compared to certain things (spells), there are several skill tricks that can be remarkably handy.

XmonkTad
2013-12-15, 06:26 AM
The abbysal heritor feat chaotic spell recall. Pretty much the only reason to go luckstealer is to get spell recall, and this does it with a feat. Even better with the wizard 10 planar substitution level that can give all of your spells an alignment descriptor.

Searing spell and fel drain are pretty good too.

Greenish
2013-12-15, 06:34 AM
Oh, Devotion Feats. I know they usually aren't recommended for characters that don't have native turn undead attempts, but for a monster or anyone that doesn't expect to get in regular 4/day encounters, they can be great.I'm surprised you left out Animal Devotion. Swift action flight is pretty great at low levels. Sure, it's just 1 minute 1/day, but there are situations where you really wish you could fly.

Morph Bark
2013-12-15, 06:44 AM
(Undead) Leadership and Wild Cohort: Minions are good. There's strength in numbers.

Landlord: So you have a place to keep all those minions and a base that's easy to defend.

(Improved) Bind Vestige, Martial Study/Stance, Hidden Talent and Shape Soulmeld plus Open [location] Chakra: Getting magic powers is always good.

Draconic Heritage plus Draconic Aura: For much the same reason, except this one is always on. (Then again, the Vestige, Soulmelds and Stance would also be.)

Darkstalker: Not getting detected by extra senses can save your hide a lot of times.

Mindsight: Does require telepathy, which is hard to get, but SO GOOD if you do, especially for a scout-type character.

Devotion feats are amazing as well.

Bladeproof Skin-DR 3/bludgeoning will make you far too tanky if taken at level 1.

Where is that feat from?

Waker
2013-12-15, 06:51 AM
Where is that feat from?
Spelltouched feat from Unearthed Arcana. Requires exposure to Stoneskin or Iron Body.

Sewercop
2013-12-15, 07:10 AM
Faerie mysteries initiate
Magic in the blood
Mindsight
Undead Leadership
Keen Intellect
Imperious command
Shape soulmeld
Darkstalker
Devotion feats.., Maybe with night sticks. (even with nightsticks nerfed to one per character in our group devotion feats add benefits)

Idk, there are alot of feats that would benefit any character in 3.5 when you include most resources. To single out ten is very very hard.

Hidden talent with psiotheurgist and a dip in ardent is quite fun and ridiculous.
Thanks for that feat.

unseenmage
2013-12-15, 05:55 PM
Updated the OP with the feats suggested sorted by usefulness.
I strongly considered not including the feats with spellcasting/class prerequisites but did so anyway.

Werephilosopher
2013-12-15, 08:08 PM
Updated the OP with the feats suggested sorted by usefulness.
I strongly considered not including the feats with spellcasting/class prerequisites but did so anyway.

Someone mentioned Knowledge Devotion... I think it's pretty good even for a Devotion feat, you should consider adding it.

Grayson01
2013-12-15, 08:15 PM
I have to put in another +1 for Knowledge Devotion.

ben-zayb
2013-12-15, 08:23 PM
I forgot to mention Ancestral Relic. It is quite decent on anyone, and downright scary on a caster...

Werephilosopher
2013-12-15, 08:28 PM
I forgot to mention Ancestral Relic. It is quite decent on anyone, and downright scary on a caster...

Ditto on that one, too. There's also the trick where a sorcerer makes an Ancestral Relic runestaff, and is able to change the spells it has every day even when he doesn't know them himself, effectively removing one of the downsides of being a sorcerer.

Greenish
2013-12-15, 08:59 PM
I forgot to mention Ancestral Relic. It is quite decent on anyone, and downright scary on a caster...Less impressive for slapping on an NPC, though, which I gather was the original purpose of the thread.

unseenmage
2013-12-15, 09:03 PM
Less impressive for slapping on an NPC, though, which I gather was the original purpose of the thread.

It was, but with a bent more towards PC controlled NPCs though.

Item familiar suffers even worse though as NPCs don't normally gain xp.

sketchtb
2013-12-15, 09:57 PM
Unarmored defense prof from swashbuckling adventures is a solid chain... Having an ac of 25 while naked is just awesome. Not to mention having a dm that allows it to stack with bracers of armor makes it that much better.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-15, 10:55 PM
Favored In Guild, for prereq shenanigans.

atomicwaffle
2013-12-15, 11:36 PM
(no particular order)

Improved Toughness - If you're cursed with a low constitution score, taking this from 8 - 12th level can be a godsend
Practiced Spellcaster - Because multiclassing
Craft Wondrous Item - Because Practiced Spellcaster
Divine Vigor - If you can turn/rebuke undead, and have a charisma bonus of +1 or more, this is amazing. character level x 2 in temporary HP and +10 movement speed for 1 turn/rebuke attempt. I love this feat.
Scribe Scroll - Getting this for a lvl in wizard is awesome. Scrolls can save your life
Endurance - This is a stupidly useful feat at low levels, and a prereq for Diehard. Sleep in armor, +4 against everything nonlethal. EVERYTHING.
Diehard - Eh, it's ok i guess. I like it more than i should. I hear not dieing can be good.
Point Blank Shot - Awesome
Rapid Shot - REALLY Awesome, especially with Point Blank Shot
Weapon Specialization - +2 damage. +2, Damage...+2 DAMAGE!!!

eastmabl
2013-12-16, 12:03 AM
Chickens are weapons. They may be improvised weapons, but that's only a -4 penalty. Heck, almost anything can be used as an improvised weapon.

I may have used this a few sessions back while DMing. First level adventurers are going through a farmhouse where there were goblin raiders were sacking the house. One of the goblins had collected a chicken for eating - when the adventurers busted through the door, the goblin threw the chicken at the adventurers.

That chicken did more damage than the three goblins combined.

EugeneVoid
2013-12-16, 12:18 AM
Alertness (no)
Bladeproof Skin (UA92) (DR/3 is chump-change past level... 3?)
Luck of Heroes (PGtF40) (It's a... decent feat)
Open Minded (CAd111) (meh)
Rapid Metabolism (EPH50) (I guess if you're really low level, and you have no healer, and you can't afford CLW wands or vigor or any of the other number of ways to heal yourselves)
True Believer (MIC222) (My bad, this is fabulous)
Fast Healing (Dr70) (meh)
Least Legacy (WoL14) (Why this one? Most written legacy weapons are really bad, unless you plan on building your own legacy, which requires DM approval.)
Point Blank Shot --> Precise Shot (I guess this is okay)

Improved Toughness is a no from me.
Divine Vigor is also a no, pick up DMM, be happy.
Endurance and Diehard :smallannoyed:
Weapon Specialization is crappy. Pick up Power Attack, if you're melee and follow that line.

OldTrees1
2013-12-16, 12:27 AM
True Believer (MIC222) (wow, +2 to save 1/day. :smallconfused:)

And all your items are much much cheaper
-400gp x spell slot x cleric level

400gp * L * (L+1)/2[round down]

At 5th level you get a 6000gp discount on all items.

Less useful at higher levels

At 20ths level you get a mere 72000gp discount on all items

ben-zayb
2013-12-16, 12:42 AM
Seems like a lot of people miss the "any character could take" part.

OldTrees1
2013-12-16, 12:46 AM
Seems like a lot of people miss the "any character could take" part.

Most of them are usable by any character. Despite not all of them being useful/strong.

EugeneVoid
2013-12-16, 12:53 AM
And all your items are much much cheaper
-400gp x spell slot x cleric level

400gp * L * (L+1)/2[round down]

At 5th level you get a 6000gp discount on all items.

Less useful at higher levels

At 20ths level you get a mere 72000gp discount on all items

Oh sorry, I use dndtools.eu, so I didn't know it had that benefit.

OldTrees1
2013-12-16, 01:19 AM
Oh sorry, I use dndtools.eu, so I didn't know it had that benefit.

No problem. It is not written in the feat.

Under the individual Relic descriptions:
Relics are usable by divine casters that sacrifice a spell per day OR True Believers that have as many HD as the divine caster would need to sacrifice the spell per day.

Under the adding Relics to the game:
Relics have a cost reduction (equation shown above)

I was stunned when I discovered this RAI blunder by WotC(they did not consider the consequences of allowing Relics to be crafted).

mabriss lethe
2013-12-16, 09:13 AM
As many people have pointed out, aside from a very few exceptions, feats that grant bigger numbers, while nice and readily accessible, aren't all that hot.

You want feats that grant new abilities and improve upon them. A lot of really good ones have already been listed. I rather like the various Non-Draconic Heritage feats: Fey and Infernal are from Complete Mage and Illithid is in Complete Psionic. There are also the Abyssal Heritor feats in Fiendish Codex I and Aberrant Blood feat chain in Lords of Madness.

nedz
2013-12-16, 09:31 AM
I like the Heritage feats too, especially the SLA ones. The trouble is that they don't scale and no caster would ever take them.

Shining Wrath
2013-12-16, 10:18 AM
Knowledge Devotion for anyone who ever makes a to-hit roll and has intelligence.
The various forms of Leadership depending on build.
Improved Initiative.

mabriss lethe
2013-12-16, 01:41 PM
I like the Heritage feats too, especially the SLA ones. The trouble is that they don't scale and no caster would ever take them.

I've used the entire Fey heritage chain to good effect on a warlock. (Not a proper caster, I know.) I still think fondly of the game when I finally remembered I had Fey Legacy while the party was being chased by a small army of hobgoblins. Narrow roads are not the best place to meet a charging rhino.

bigstipidfighte
2013-12-16, 02:02 PM
I'm surprised you left out Animal Devotion. Swift action flight is pretty great at low levels. Sure, it's just 1 minute 1/day, but there are situations where you really wish you could fly.

That is really good, especially on a one shot monster. To be honest, I don't think I'd ever finished reading Animal Devotion before. It's a wall-o-text feat with multiple options and the first two are meh and cool, but not nearly as good as travel respectively.

Oops posted this on my brothers computer while logged into his account -Hand of Vecna

nedz
2013-12-16, 06:22 PM
I've used the entire Fey heritage chain to good effect on a warlock. (Not a proper caster, I know.) I still think fondly of the game when I finally remembered I had Fey Legacy while the party was being chased by a small army of hobgoblins. Narrow roads are not the best place to meet a charging rhino.

Yes, they are quite good for Warlocks — but we are looking for feats that any character could take.

Angelalex242
2013-12-16, 09:18 PM
Feats any character could take? Hmmm.

Nymph's Kiss, although that's 'any really really GOOD character' can take...

Touch of Golden Ice is wonderful for anyone who doesn't use weapons, like monks and druids in wildshape, and even spellcasters using touch attack spells.

unseenmage
2013-12-17, 07:40 PM
This has been great. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

This has given me even more ideas about what feats I can put on Familiars, Psicrystals, Improved Homunculuses (MoE), Minor Servitors (SS), Awakened Sands (Sa), and Awakened Constructs (SC).

Really, this even helps with starting characters.

Pathagaron
2013-12-17, 08:33 PM
I really like improved buckler defense (CW) for humanoids with shield proficiency. The extra item slot (including a cheap +2 to AC with a magic buckler) is well worth the -1 to your off-handed/two-handed/ranged attacks.

OldTrees1
2013-12-17, 11:01 PM
I really like improved buckler defense (CW) for humanoids with shield proficiency. The extra item slot (including a cheap +2 to AC with a magic buckler) is well worth the -1 to your off-handed/two-handed/ranged attacks.

However you do need to weigh it against the +1 Animated Heavy Shield

Yogibear41
2013-12-18, 12:15 AM
Unarmored defense prof from swashbuckling adventures is a solid chain... Having an ac of 25 while naked is just awesome. Not to mention having a dm that allows it to stack with bracers of armor makes it that much better.

Swashbuckling adventures? is that 3rd party?

Hurnn
2013-12-18, 12:52 AM
Swashbuckling adventures? is that 3rd party?

It was AEG and pretty good. Based on the 7th sea card game pirates and stuff, just don't ever ever let anyone become the Reis.

Yogibear41
2013-12-18, 05:20 PM
These 3 feats are awesome! Now to convince my DM to let me use them on a character!

Icewraith
2013-12-18, 05:27 PM
This isn't "any character" but it is "many characters" and is Craft Contingent Spell.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-18, 06:21 PM
Big fan of Running Circles from BoXM. Boils down to, "If you start your turn in a creature's threat, you do not provoke AoOs for movement from that creature for movement this turn."

unseenmage
2013-12-18, 11:07 PM
This isn't "any character" but it is "many characters" and is Craft Contingent Spell.

D'oh! How could I have forgotten one of the most OP feats evar?

Big fan of Running Circles from BoXM. Boils down to, "If you start your turn in a creature's threat, you do not provoke AoOs for movement from that creature for movement this turn."

What book is BoXM?

Rubik
2013-12-18, 11:24 PM
What book is BoXM?It's probably the one the BMX Bandit came from.

Fax Celestis
2013-12-18, 11:34 PM
D'oh! How could I have forgotten one of the most OP feats evar?

What book is BoXM?

Monte cook's Book of Experimental Might.

Amphetryon
2013-12-19, 08:15 AM
I find Law Devotion fits these parameters pretty well: +3 to Attack or AC for a minute, that scales some with level? The list of Characters for whom this is not a useful tool is pretty small.

strider24seven
2013-12-19, 08:38 AM
Leadership
Undead Leadership
Dragon Cohort
Wild Cohort
Apprentice (any)
Item Familiar
Mercantile Background
Mindsight
Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightenment (any, though Pride is stellar for everyone)
Troll-Blooded <- do note that this is Dragon Magazine

Edit: If you don't like Dragon Mag, replace Troll-Blooded with Knowledge Devotion.
Edit to the Edit: Mercantile Background and Troll-Blooded have regional requirements, so not everyone can take them. Still, they are good enough to warrant trying to be from that region or taking rankings in Knowledge (Local) if you keep that 3.0 rule.

nedz
2013-12-19, 08:50 AM
I find Law Devotion fits these parameters pretty well: +3 to Attack or AC for a minute, that scales some with level? The list of Characters for whom this is not a useful tool is pretty small.

I was going to say "Well anyone who's chaotic, or at least not lawful" but the feat doesn't seem to make this distinction ?

It is a lot better for characters with TU because it is just 1/day otherwise.

Amphetryon
2013-12-19, 09:08 AM
I was going to say "Well anyone who's chaotic, or at least not lawful" but the feat doesn't seem to make this distinction ?

It is a lot better for characters with TU because it is just 1/day otherwise.

The fact that the Feat makes no distinction of who may benefit from it is why I think it makes this cut. Even if it is "just 1/day," that's one encounter a day where you're considerably better off.

Greenish
2013-12-19, 09:10 AM
It is a lot better for characters with TU because it is just 1/day otherwise.Even with TU, it probably won't be much more than 2/day. It takes 3 turnings to power. :smallfrown:

nedz
2013-12-19, 09:27 AM
Most of the devotion feats are good for this purpose. When I looked at them recently it seem that all of the combat buff ones were expensive to use more than 1/day.

Consider Water Devotion. Summons a Water Elemental 1/day, extra uses for 1 turn attempt. Now Water Elementals are difficult to use effectively but we are breaking the action economy here.

Venom3053000
2013-12-19, 05:52 PM
this has a lot of good feats

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232822

Morph Bark
2013-12-20, 08:59 AM
Considering Hidden Talent is certainly a part of this, what powers are best to take for it? I mean, you can sadly only take it once.

ben-zayb
2013-12-20, 09:44 AM
Considering Hidden Talent is certainly a part of this, what powers are best to take for it? I mean, you can sadly only take it once.Psionic Minor Creation or Synchronicity are more often than not good picks.

Rubik
2013-12-20, 11:04 AM
Psionic Minor Creation or Synchronicity are more often than not good picks.Definitely those. Also, add Entangling Ectoplasm to the list. Entangle an enemy of any size or shape for 5 rounds no matter what level you are. Great to add to a psicrystal or familiar, especially. Inertial Armor is pretty nice for someone who multiclasses in monk, as well. Expansion and Claws of the Beast are great for anyone who enters melee regularly. Chameleon and Compression are good for anyone who likes to sneak around.