PDA

View Full Version : Anti-undead wizard spells?

Setra
2013-12-15, 12:07 AM
Right now I've got a 10th level wizard in an extremely undead heavy campaign, she's a Conjurer who has barred Evocation and Enchantment.

The ones I've found so far are Halt Undead, Hide from Undead, and Command Undead. Any others?

Atypical_Necro
2013-12-15, 12:46 AM
Bone Chill from Frostburn. Ranged touch attack, but if it hits it's basically Hold Person for undead.

Greater Disrupt Undead from the Spell Compendium. Ranged touch attack for decent damage, can also deal half damage to a nearby undead after the fact.

Next level you'll get access to Disintegrate, a pretty decent spell to use vs. undead.

Just a few off the top of my head. One of my most recent characters was a necromancer/cleric/mystic theurge who hated the undead and specialized in combating them. Thus my username.

Zanos
2013-12-15, 12:48 AM
Undeath to Death or Disintegrate next time you level. Costly material component for undeath to death, however.

Hand_of_Vecna
2013-12-15, 12:50 AM
Command Undead - nonintelligent undead get no save.

Thrawn183
2013-12-15, 01:02 AM
You could always fight undeath with undeath.

Setra
2013-12-15, 01:19 AM
Bone Chill from Frostburn. Ranged touch attack, but if it hits it's basically Hold Person for undead.

Greater Disrupt Undead from the Spell Compendium. Ranged touch attack for decent damage, can also deal half damage to a nearby undead after the fact.

Next level you'll get access to Disintegrate, a pretty decent spell to use vs. undead.

Just a few off the top of my head. One of my most recent characters was a necromancer/cleric/mystic theurge who hated the undead and specialized in combating them. Thus my username.
Bone Chill looks nice, it's a level lower than Hold Person as well (for a wizard anyway).

I'm trying to shy away from damage spells, for the most part my Wizard doesn't like brute force. She may still pick up disintegrate though, it does have some utility.

You could always fight undeath with undeath.
I've been considering it, heck the entire reason she's in this campaign is to study necromancy, but I frankly have very little idea how to go about it.

Thrawn183
2013-12-15, 02:05 AM
I've been considering it, heck the entire reason she's in this campaign is to study necromancy, but I frankly have very little idea how to go about it.

Well, there's the Summon Undead I-V line of spells in the Spell Compendium.

There are a fair number of anti-incorporeal spells as well.

You should check with your DM to see how mindless undead handle illusions (do illusory walls completely shut them down?)

Useful necromancy spells to look at from the SpC:
- Shroud of Undeath (hide from undead)
- Incorporeal Nova (6th, destroyes weak incorporeal undead)
- Undead lieutenant (makes you better at controlling a small undead force)
- Revive Undead (6th, brings back undead you've destroyed, useful for the big nasties)

Enjoy!

StreamOfTheSky
2013-12-15, 11:01 AM
Any fort save spell that works on objects is golden. Sadly...there aren't many.

But, along the same lines as disintegrate, there is Sound Lance from SpC. 3rd level, single target, does 1d8 per CL sonic damage, fortitude for half.