PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about metamagic

questionmark693
2013-12-15, 12:35 AM
I like to play wizards, but I tend to use spells like fireball and the orb series...so I guess I'm not an optimizer at the levels of the playground. But I want to get to that point (eventually), and I know that part of optimizing is using metamagic effectively, but I never use those feats. Ever. So how do I overcome that stigma I have of the spell level adjustment being not worth it?

Emperor Ing
2013-12-15, 12:37 AM
Recognize those feats are, in fact, awesome? It helps to pick out metamagic reducers. One of my favorites is Easy Metamagic, though be aware it's a Dragon Magazine feat so your GM may or may not allow it.

Big Fau
2013-12-15, 12:44 AM
There are two ways to look at it:

Metamagic is good for things like Twin or Split Ray or Chain or Quicken, which violate the action economy at the cost of higher level spells.
Metamagic can be stacked onto a single spell in a way that turns it into a highly versatile weapon.

For you, the Orb spells are easily the latter. Stacking multiple metamagic feats onto an Orb of Flame is the basis of the Mailman build, which utilizes metamagic reducers to turn a 1st/4th level Fire spell into a respectable force of nature.

A few things to look into: Escalation Mage (Faiths of Eberron) and Recaster (Races of Eberron). Both provide free metamagic effects, both are excellent PrCs, and both can help you out in your goal of using metamagic.

eggynack
2013-12-15, 01:48 AM
Metamagic is good for things like Twin or Split Ray or Chain or Quicken, which violate the action economy at the cost of higher level spells.
Don't forget the classics, extend spell and persistent spell. They violate the action economy in a much more subtle way, by allowing you to not have to spend the relevant actions in combat, but violate the action economy they do.

Glimbur
2013-12-15, 09:28 AM
In my opinion, what really makes metamagic excel is when you can pay less than full price for it. Various metamagic reducers, rods of metamagic, and so on. There are also instances where it is worth paying full cost (extend to cast a spell outside of combat), but reducers are really good.

Killer Angel
2013-12-15, 09:46 AM
Remember also that you can use metamagic reducers, without effectively have those reducers (sometime, not all the splatbooks are available). The rod of metamagic are great.
Especially if you use those kind of damage spells, where even lesser rods can be very useful.