PDA

View Full Version : Races of Nevermorph (3.5) PEACH

thethird
2013-12-15, 01:19 AM
The following races are to be used in my Nevermorph (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319786) campaign setting feel free to check it for fluff. This races are intended to be on the high end of LA 0 but, not push it to LA 1.

Nalan
Racial traits:
Nalan males and females alike average about 5-1/2 feet in height. They mature slowly although once they reach adulthood they rarely accuse old age, with rather few indicatives. They are not as long lived as the elves used to be but the can still reach the three hundred years of age. Those cases are exceedingly rare due to the warmongering attitude common to the Nalan.

–2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence: Nalan physiognomy make them sharp of body, unfortunately their strength needs to be compensated with speed both of body and mind.
Type: Humanoid (Seldar).
Medium: As Medium creatures, Nalans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Nalan base land speed is 30 feet.
Immunity to magic sleep effects, Nalan don't sleep but trance for four hours.
Low-light Vision: A Nalan can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Ancient's Whispers: When in trance Nalan's don't incur in the -10 penalty for a character who is sleeping. In addition while in trance a Nalan can practice its martial might with long dead elven heroes, gaining access to a martial maneuver. He is limited by his initiator level (minimum one) in this choice, he needs to meet the prerequisites of the specific maneuver, and he cannot pick a stance, but otherwise can choose any maneuver for which he meets the prerequisites. If he lacks a recovering method he can only use this maneuver once per encounter or once every five minutes, otherwise he can recover this maneuver as normal. This maneuver temporary state doesn't allow a Nalan to use it to qualify for other maneuvers or for feats.
War Knowledge: When making any knowledge skill check to identify a creature, a Nalan can use half its Martial lore ranks (rounded up) in place of the number of ranks he has in the skill (even if that number is 0). This ability does allow the Nalan to make trained knowledge checks. In addition Martial Lore is always a Nalan class skill.

Ilirin
Racial traits:
The Ilirin strongly resemble their Nalan cousins, only more colorful, their pale skins tend to be decorated with colored pictographs and other tattoos of esoteric meaning. Their hair and eyes are also colorful, not limited to the cold colors of the Nalan and encompassing also much warmer colors. This becomes more evident when they are fully dreaming, where colors seem to shift continuously in a kaleidoscopic mirage.
Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Wis, -2 Cha. While their existence primarily on the Dream makes Ilirin strong-willed, it makes interacting with other races all the more difficult.
Type: Humanoid (Seldar).
Size: Medium. An Ilirin has no bonuses or penalties due to size.
Speed: 30 feet.
Immunity to magic sleep effects, Ilirin don't need to sleep but trance for four hours.
Low-light Vision: A Nalan can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Dreambound: Ilirin exist within the dream, both powering and receiving power from it. They are treated as having the Extraplanar subtype when traveling the Vigil, even while using their Vigilwalk racial ability.
Everdreaming: All Ilirin are taught to shape the dreamscape around them, granting them a +2 racial bonus on Lucid Dreaming checks. Furthermore, an Ilirin always treats Lucid Dreaming as a class skill.
Vigilwalk: By spending one minute in concentration and making a DC 15 Lucid Dreaming check, an Ilirin can manifest a portion of his consciousness into the Vigil, although doing so splits him between both realms. In this state, an Ilirin appears as a translucent image of himself in both the Dream and the Vigil, capable of interacting with both to a limited extent. They can still be harmed as normal from the Dream, but their fleeting presence in the Vigil can have unpredictable results.
While Vigilwalking, physical attacks against an Ilirin from the Vigil have a 50% chance of dealing damage, as there is a chance from second to second that enough of their essence is in the Vigil to be able to receive harm. This is reduced to 20% with effects that can normally harm incorporeal creatures, such as magic weapons, and removed entirely if the attack can harm creatures in the Dream. Likewise, an Ilirin's physical attacks only have a 20% chance of not affecting creatures in the Vigil, unless the attack would already affect creatures on both planes. If wielding a magic weapon, an Ilirin's attacks only have a 10% chance of failing.
Any spell from the Vigil has a 50% chance to not affect an Ilirin while Vigilwalking, unless the spell can target creatures in the Dream. A Vigilwalking Ilirin's spells have a 20% chance to fail against denizens of the Vigil, as their essence may wane farther than expected the moment the spell is cast.
Barriers that exist solely in the Vigil are impassable while Vigilwalking, but an Ilirin may see through them due to their presence within the Dream.
An Ilirin can end the Vigilwalking state as a move action.
At 6th HD an Ilirin's experience allows more presence and control over their essence, emulating the effects of a Blink spell while Vigilwalking. This greater control is taxing, and may only be used for one minute per HD per day, and must be used in one minute increments.
At 12th HD an Ilirin is able to enter the Vigil more readily, allowing them to begin Vigilwalking as a full-round action, and an Ilirin is always treated as being under the effects of a Blink spell while Vigilwalking.
At 18th HD an Ilirin can fully jump between the Dream and the Vigil with little effort, as a move action up to once per round, and are always treated as being under the effects of Greater Blink (SpC 32) while they are Vigilwalking.

Milo v3
2013-12-15, 01:28 AM
Is it just me, or do the Cora sound rather aggressive and hostile from the losers point of view? :smalltongue:

Surprised your using colour alignment, and like how you made their society fit two opposing colours rather well.

I find it abit strange that they're statistics are those of a war race (fitting with the fluff), and yet have a penalty to strength. Still... Better than Constitution I suppose.

If they don't have an initiator level, can they still use Ancient Whispers?

thethird
2013-12-15, 01:36 AM
They do, that's the point of the losers :smalltongue: Not writing history. Of course I intended to make the Nalan sound extremely aggressive themselves and rather hostile, in part attempting to suggest the idea that maybe they were at fault at some point.

I really like the colour alignment and think it is a good idea to use it. On normal alignment the Nalan have both tendencies against law and chaos, and that is harder to put on paper. As I mentioned in the worldbuilding thread I am more interested in the conflict of chaos and order than the conflict of evil and good, and I am also rather fond of grey and gray morality, so making a culture of contrasts seemed like a good idea.

One of the reasons why they have the penalty is that, at least in my opinion, several elven races link with birds or other winged creatures, there are winged elves in almost every setting, the raptoran are also related to elves. In this way I wanted to give the race a more birdlike feeling. The description should hint at the bird thing, and bird bones aren't too strong thus a strength penalty.

I should amend ancient whispers so it has a minimum initiator level of 0 and cannot be used to qualify for feats or other maneuvers.