PDA

View Full Version : Jade Pheonix Help

Ace Nex
2013-12-15, 04:37 AM
I am currently playing a campaign as an Archivist 5/Malconvoker 5. The DM has allowed us to have FULL and COMPLETE control over out cohorts. I thought about artificer for a bit, but eventually decided on a JPM lesser teifling. At first I didn't know what route to go in (I thought more wizard based) but now I'm thinking more gishy with wizard as a backup. Current levels are Wiz 5/SwordSage1/Jade Pheonix 2 (I have improved Cohort as a feat. Before you say "Don't do that", it's a full level up for her, makes sense for my character to have storywise, and I like it). In truth, she's probably going to be staying on board the airship for most of the time, but that being said, we travel A LOT and she's seen quite a bit of action.

CURRENT BUILD
Elite Array

Base Stats (Base) [After Always Active Buffs/Racial]*
STR: (10) [14]
DEX: (12) [18]
CON: (14) [18]
INT: (17) [23]
WIS: (13) [17]
CHA: (8) [10]

Feats:
1st: No Mind Disc (Pick one of your classes, you add your full initiator Level instead of 1/2 for the purpose of determining highest maneuvers known, I don't remember the source)
1st: Improved Unarmed Strike (Free from SS)
3rd: Adaptive Style
6th: Arcane Strike
6th: (Wizard Bonus Feat) Eschew Materials
9th: Open

DM does allow feat retraining provided you have the time and are willing to take an XP hit (only a couple hundred at this time)

I'm currently leveling her from 8 to 9, and I have a few ideas in mind. She is an unarmed swordsage, so naturally I thought Monk would synergize well. She would be into the mindset of "One Strike to finish". The Monk ACF where you hit for double damage is nice, especially if stacked with Arcane Strike/Wrath/Blades of Blood Spell/Boosts.

Jade Phoenix is probably a 4 level or all 10 level dip.

Swordsages gains a lovely ability at level 4 of adding their wisdom mod to damage done in a strike of their school (Diamond Mind most likely). That being said, a single level of monk gives me the AC boost and better saves, the only reason to take this would be to up my IL.

Then there is also the Monster variant where a teifling can start gaining the half fiend template (3 levels to buy off). 1 level nets +2 to dex and str, and more importantly, claws and a bite. Combined with Bestial Strike Feat, (add natural weapon damage to unarmed damage) with size increasing spells (At this point I can up by 5 (base unarmed right now is 12d6). If Beastial Strike would be taken at the next level up, unarmed strike damage would be an additional 6d6 damage (Total of 18d6). Single Strike (Ruby Nightmare Blade would make 36d6). It only gets better and better.

So yeeeeah, any advice or directions?

Red Fel
2013-12-15, 09:06 AM
Jade Phoenix is probably a 4 level or all 10 level dip.

Jade Phoenix: Go big or go home. Here's what I mean. Look at JPM's 4th level ability. Read Empowering Strike. When you hit someone with a strike, a spell you cast before the end of your next turn is Empowered. Given that most strikes are a standard action, that basically allows you to Empower spells with a casting time of Move or less. There's a fair amount there, but honestly, it's a bit meh.

I would stay in until 8. Two reasons. First, Quickening Strike is awesome. Instant Quickened spell, no adjustment required. Second, there is nothing RAW stopping you from using Quickening Strike and Empowering Strike in the same hit. You can (1) deliver a strike, (2) deliver a Quickened Empowered spell, and (3) move around, all in the same round.

And admittedly, if you're staying for 8 levels, you could do worse than staying for 10. The Emerald Immolation capstone is outrageously awesome.

Swordsages gains a lovely ability at level 4 of adding their wisdom mod to damage done in a strike of their school (Diamond Mind most likely). That being said, a single level of monk gives me the AC boost and better saves, the only reason to take this would be to up my IL.

You could take your Discipline Focus (Insightful Strikes) in Diamond Mind, it's true. But remember that JPM only grants you Devoted Spirit and Desert Wind. That means you won't be taking higher-level Diamond Mind strikes. You might consider taking Discipline Focus (Insightful Strikes) for Desert Wind instead, since you may be using it more. Additionally, I strongly recommend that when you get Discipline Focus (Weapon Focus), you take either Shadow Hand or Setting Sun, because both of these disciplines have Unarmed Strikes as a discipline weapon.

Then there is also the Monster variant where a teifling can start gaining the half fiend template (3 levels to buy off). 1 level nets +2 to dex and str, and more importantly, claws and a bite. Combined with Bestial Strike Feat, (add natural weapon damage to unarmed damage) with size increasing spells (At this point I can up by 5 (base unarmed right now is 12d6). If Beastial Strike would be taken at the next level up, unarmed strike damage would be an additional 6d6 damage (Total of 18d6). Single Strike (Ruby Nightmare Blade would make 36d6). It only gets better and better.

So yeeeeah, any advice or directions?

It sounds like you have a solid plan. Remember that Unarmed Swordsage is an adaptation, not a proper variant, and thus you need to be explicit as to what it actually entails. For example, I see you include IUS. I assume you also include the monk damage progression from the table. Do you include anything else? I also suggest you check out Natural Weapons and You (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10994.0), a good handbook on unarmed strikes and natural attacks.

Lastly, I would recommend progressing a bit into Desert Wind maneuvers before you hit JPM. Since all you can take are Desert Wind and Devoted Spirit, you'll want to have a few under your belt as prereqs so you don't have to start over with 1st/2nd-level maneuvers.