PDA

View Full Version : A gardening issue

Caddoko
2013-12-15, 12:22 PM
So tonight I might be playing my first ever druid and I've got an issue.

Background:

My character is a Hafling Rogue 1/Druid 2 and the head of a tiny mercenary group set in a major trade hub in a savannah between two territories that have both strictly regulated arcane magic since it nearly destroyed them ages ago.

If someone has arcane spells (natural or otherwise) they either have to pay exuberant fees, enlist in the army for 10 years, or run from the law to avoid being turned into a slave.
EDIT: I think that spell-like abilities are okay.

Now the mage's guild is looking into controlling Druidic magic much in the same way and small-town people have begun to regard us druids as "witches"- they've even taken to burning us at the stake.

The remaining party members are a Tiefling Cleric, a half-orc ranger, and a gnoll fighter/rogue.

My problem derived from all those situations is that I have no plentiful area of nature nearby. So I decided to find a way to build a garden on the roof of our base; DM ok'd it but now I need to find a way to keep it well-kept while I'm out on missions. I don't want to hire joe-anybody to be my gardener because If I did that he might:

a. Destroy exotic and delicate plants. (Planning on having utility plants and healing/poisonous herbs at some point.)

b. Find out I'm a druid. (I'm posing as a cleric of Obad-Hai when in I'm with anyone other than my Mercs)

c. Let rival Mercs into our base. (DM has hinted at us getting into trouble with the larger companies once we become competition for their contracts.)

My first thought was creating a Bogun and telling it to garden but it says they don't like to be more than 500 yards (1500~ feet) away from their creator and will try anything to rectify that issue.

Being new to Druids I'm not sure of my alternative options so I come to you now for suggestions.

(P.S. Sorry if this post is kinda messy, it's my first thread for a tabletop forum and I haven't even used forums in a very long time.)

jaydubs
2013-12-15, 12:29 PM
Nurturing seeds has popped up in the cantrips/orisons thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319343&page=3). Seems perfect for your situation.

Edit: Whoops, link fixed.

Greenish
2013-12-15, 12:40 PM
Auto-resetting trap of Wood Wose?

Caddoko
2013-12-15, 12:49 PM
Nurturing seeds has popped up in the cantrips/orisons thread. Seems perfect for your situation.

(The link's broken but I found the spell) That's absolutely fantastic! Thanks a ton man, beyond what I was even looking for. :smallbiggrin:

Caddoko
2013-12-15, 12:54 PM
Auto-resetting trap of Wood Wose?
Another good one but none of know how to make traps yet and I'm hoping to keep any visitors away from my magic until I can figure out a way to excuse those kind, might use that later though.

pwykersotz
2013-12-15, 01:45 PM
If your DM is willing to work with you, you could contact and befriend a fey who would be willing to tend your garden in exchange for being brought back new and interesting plants or seeds from your travels.