PDA

View Full Version : supernatural ability vs spell like ability

GhengisConrad
2013-12-15, 01:39 PM
what is the RAW difference between (Su) and (Sp)?

if i were to take the feat that converts my (Sp) into an (Su), would i no longer be able to enter prestige classes that require that (Sp)?

are there feats to reverse the flow? is there a feat that turns your (Su) into a (Sp)?

Is there some RAW presidence which simply describes (Su) as some sort of (Sp) plus?

Svata
2013-12-15, 01:43 PM
SU can't be dispelled, and usually are fluffed differently, but I don't think there's much difference other than that.

Karnith
2013-12-15, 01:45 PM
SU can't be dispelled, and usually are fluffed differently, but I don't think there's much difference other than that.
Supernatural abilities are also not subject to Spell Resistance and don't provoke attacks of opportunities, unless specified otherwise.

The relevant rules for Supernatural and Spell-Like Abilities (also Natural and Extraordinary abilities) can be found here on the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm).

Svata
2013-12-15, 02:14 PM
Oh, yeah, forgot the SR thing, and didn't know the AOO bit.

GhengisConrad
2013-12-15, 07:50 PM
if i were to take the feat that converts my (Sp) into an (Su), would i no longer be able to enter prestige classes that require that (Sp)?

are there feats to reverse the flow? is there a feat that turns your (Su) into a (Sp)?

(Su) does seem to be just like a (Sp) with only more benefits... so I see no reason why a (Su) version of a (Sp) wouldn't qualify you for a feat or class that requires it....

Vortenger
2013-12-15, 08:15 PM

(Su) does seem to be just like a (Sp) with only more benefits... so I see no reason why a (Su) version of a (Sp) wouldn't qualify you for a feat or class that requires it....

It IS just like a spell-like with more benefits. Except it isn't a spell-like, so no it does not allow you to qualify for feats or classes any more than casting spells does. They are 3 distinct and separate functions.

edit: Negative, there aren't any WotC or Paizo abilities to downgrade from supernatural back to spell-like.

p.s. Manifesting a psionic power (the equivalent of casting a spell) is a psi-like ability (same as spell-like), and does qualify for all those juicy spell-like tricks (with a few caveats).

Greenish
2013-12-15, 08:34 PM
(Su) does seem to be just like a (Sp) with only more benefits...And an (Ex) is just like a (Su) with more benefits. :smalltongue: