PDA

View Full Version : Optimization FTW! (until rocks fall.)

Hangwind
2013-12-15, 02:55 PM
All right giants, I could use some help. I am going to be starting a campaign soon, with a very high level of optimization, both by the players and the DM. It is going to be gesalt starting at level 1 and we will play through level 20.

I have gotten a human Artificer/StP Erudite Psion approved. My stats are Str 13, Dex 10, Con 7, Int 18, Wis 17, Cha 11. I have the flaws frail and noncombatant and the trait absentminded. These are set in stone and can't be changed. I only have three levels total that can be spent outside my two core classes.

My idea is to make a (mad) scientist of war. He will be true neutral with his only motivation being to study all of the various forms of combat. He may dip into evil or rise into good as the story progresses. I envision him being someone who uses his "weak" physicality as an excuse to stay in the background while he studies his companions in battle. He will be heavily focused on designing and creating interesting magical and psionic items as opposed to fighting himself, though he would have the option fighting.

With all of that in mind, can you help me tweak this character into the best it can be? The biggest thing to remember is you have to build it level by level because we are going to play through from level 1.

Callin
2013-12-15, 02:57 PM
Stats like that SCREAM "Please oh PLEASE make a robotic full suit of armor!"

Hangwind
2013-12-15, 03:02 PM
*Sorry hit submit thread before I was done*

Yeah, but I don't want him to look intimidating most of the time. Is there a way of having an Iron Man suit that you can hide and equip (or show) at a moments notice when necessary?

Remember, he will hide his might at combat from his allies as much as possible.

Callin
2013-12-15, 03:05 PM
well its full plate so stick it inside of an Arming Ring

Zanos
2013-12-15, 03:05 PM
7 con AND frail? How many hitpoints do you have?

Hangwind
2013-12-15, 03:09 PM
At first level? 1.

Yeah, not all of my weakness is going to be feigned.:smalleek:

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-15, 03:18 PM
At first level? 1.

Yeah, not all of my weakness is going to be feigned.:smalleek:

Ouch. That's probably not a good idea. I know it sounds like you can't change this, but you need to really commit some optimization resource to mitigating this total lack of hp. A source of immediate action healing should be right there somewhere, and some WBL-mancy to fill your early levels with similar items (mundane and magical, even redundant ones) as anti-ganked measures.

A stiff wind could render you unconscious. That's some serious jeopardy, especially considering that you say the DM will also be optimizing (which could make the first few levels quite harrowing).

Callin
2013-12-15, 03:20 PM
Death from Cat Scratch... OUCH dude. Um yea I would really really work on some Defense.

Hangwind
2013-12-15, 03:29 PM
I'm thinking Vigor for the first level or two to help with the hitpoints.

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-15, 03:41 PM
I'm thinking Vigor for the first level or two to help with the hitpoints.

Well, some kind of item of cure minor wounds item will also be quite useful for the first level or two (and if it's renewable then it will help top off players for the rest of the campaign...or scrap it with that artificer feature).

Um, I'm trying to remember if any of the items that automatically heal when at negatives is actually vaguely affordable at level 1. I'm guessing not, but there are the healing armour enhancements from MiC that should probably go on whatever armour you eventually construct.

Another thing is to invest in is any mundane way to avoid damage or block line of sight/effect. I believe there are a couple ways of doing this...tin foil hats are a thing, and so are tower shields (though if you can actually carry one might be another matter entirely). StP erudite should be able to get wings of cover, if I understand it correctly, which is the apex of low-level damage avoidance (along with abrupt jaunt). Also consider the trick with psicrystals, vigor, and share pain. Psicrystals in general are the bees' knees.

I'd advise some minionmancy early on, though. Has the DM ruled on Leadership/Wild Cohort/Undead Leadership/Dragon Cohort? Otherwise, I'd go toward making constructs and stuff. There are some mad methods of cost reduction down that road, and I believe this forum had some decent threads discussing the issue over the past year or so (skysaber in particular had some optimization on this matter that was quite impressive).

Seto
2013-12-15, 03:58 PM
Have a big, big armor, and give it the "glamered" property : it'll look like normal clothing whenever you wish (which might be at all times, or at least the rules don't seem to say otherwise).

Hangwind
2013-12-15, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I want to stay away from minions. However, the construct idea sounds great.

Also, I just realized I can use my glamored infusion to look like I'm not wearing armor. Unless I missed something, there isn't a time limit on infusions.

Edit: Swordsaged

Edit2:Found the time limit

Hangwind
2013-12-15, 05:01 PM
So, any actual builds yet?

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-15, 06:36 PM
The first step, I should think, is to verify if there are any things that you are interested in picking up with those three levels that can be outside your two gestalted classes. That's fairly restrictive, but there are some pretty darn useful dips out there (cloistered cleric is often a level 1 dip, 2 levels of monk will get you +3 to all your saves and two feats, a couple levels of binder gives great utility and flexibility).

And that barely touches on the PrC issue. Are PrCs covered in the "only three levels" restriction? If so, it's a much smaller issue, but there are still a number of dips that one can take that might be useful/not prohibitively expensive. Sadly, psionic prcs aren't typically very good for dipping, and often lose MLs somewhere along the way.

So, what I really need to know is: Is there any ability not already covered by your gestalt of two Tier 1 classes that is key to your concept?

Also, if there are any feats you want to pick up, that would also be helpful to know in advance.

Hangwind
2013-12-15, 07:07 PM
I'm half thinking chameleon for a two level dip for the floating feat because I want to be able to craft all of the psionic items too. Also, yes PrCs are covered in that as well. My DM wants at least 37 levels of pure base class. (It helps him when he is building our enemies.)

Phelix-Mu
2013-12-15, 07:14 PM
I'm half thinking chameleon for a two level dip for the floating feat because I want to be able to craft all of the psionic items too. Also, yes PrCs are covered in that as well. My DM wants at least 37 levels of pure base class. (It helps him when he is building our enemies.)

Alright, so I will try to cobble something together.

But, first, I think you don't need those psionic craft feats. I could be wrong, but there were some addenda added in MiC that implied/stated that magic-psionic transparency includes crafting, and that a DM should make analogues from one to another. This may be an area of DM purview, but it's worth looking into the specifics. I believe the sidebar in question is among the tables and item creation rules in the back of Magic Item Compendium.

That said, for someone already human, Chameleon has obvious appeal.

Also, I meant to ask before, but are templates on the table for those 3 levels? Most gestalt doesn't also use LA buyback, but I thought I'd ask, since there are a couple useful things that can be picked up with templates. Nothing that this rather high-powered concept probably can't do without, though.

Hangwind
2013-12-15, 07:19 PM
Nnnooooo, that would have fallen under species selection. On the other hand, if it can be applied later I could probably pick it up.

I'll also have to take a look at that sidebar though.

Rastapopolos
2013-12-15, 09:21 PM
heh with d4 HD and 7 con... grap the necropolitan template ASAP... you get d12 hp with your con being ignored with no cheese. Plus undead immunities to boot. If im reading frail correctly you will only get 1 hp a level... so instead of having 3 hp at level 3 you will be at level 2 but have 11-22 hp instead.

Hangwind
2013-12-16, 06:30 AM
Ummm, I said I wasn't trying to look dangerous. Undead sort of kills that don't you think?

anacalgion
2013-12-16, 11:30 AM
Ummm, I said I wasn't trying to look dangerous. Undead sort of kills that don't you think?

Nah. You'll just look even closer to dead. Even less threatening than before! Hooray!

Rastapopolos
2013-12-16, 01:03 PM
With articificer and StP erudite you can pretty much look however you choose, alter self? hat of disguise? Hell if you use gentle repose from day one you should look exactly as you did before (maybe get some blush for that rosy healthy complexion)... Thats if you decide not to alter self into a feeble gnome or something :D