PDA

View Full Version : Out of combat healing

Erberor
2013-12-15, 06:00 PM
As one might expect, my party does most healing with cure wands. The problem I face as a DM is that having them roll the healing takes a lot of time and is generally pointless. Would it be fair to just let them use the average roll for each cure and figure it out that way? It would really cut down on healing time.

eggynack
2013-12-15, 06:04 PM
I don't see the problem. Go forth in good faith. Alternatively, point them towards wands of lesser vigor. They heal more, and they heal a consistent amount, so it's a good deal for both of you.

Devronq
2013-12-15, 06:06 PM
I don't see the problem. Go forth in good faith. Alternatively, point them towards wands of lesser vigor. They heal more, and they heal a consistent amount, so it's a good deal for both of you.

I second this, out of battle the vigor spells are far superior than the cure spells.

OldTrees1
2013-12-15, 06:07 PM
Average is fine. Maximum (out of combat) would not be a problem. Access to the Touch of Healing reserve feat [Complete Champion] is another solution.

holywhippet
2013-12-15, 06:09 PM
If they've taken enough damage to need multiple castings then you should roll them all at once. ie. if you have 30 hp of damage you should roll 2-3 d8s at the same time and add the +5 for each casting (is that right?).

If you want to speed things up a bit more, take the total number of hit points lost by the party and treat them all at once. eg. if your party is down a total of 100 hp you could declare you are going to use 10 castings of the wand. Say this results in a total of 98 hit points worth of healing after you roll 10 dice. You players could just decide which character(s) are going to be 1 or 2 hp down from maximum.

Erberor
2013-12-16, 11:05 AM
thanks for all the responses

I think I'll shy away from lesser vigor wands until someone gets the spell compendium, though I'll consider it. They've accumulated like 80 uses of CLW and something like 48 uses of CMW on wands so far without paying a copper (Yay loot!), so they're pretty good at the moment.

I'll propose using the average, and also the totaling of party hit points. They'll probably appreciate that.

Deox
2013-12-16, 11:19 AM
For wands and belts of healing, my group auto maximizes the amount.